Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Amazon Kindle - Web Browsing in Canada? YES.

45K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  Mongao 
#1 ·
Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi $189.00

I'm interested in Amazon's Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi because it comes with free internet access. This means I can access the internet outdoors or while on the move.

But I'm unsure if full web browsing is available for Canadians. I want to do the following on a kindle while in the park or in a bus:

- read/send email (yahoo, hotmail)
- read news (cbc, cnn)
- read/post on forums (eg digitalhome)

Can I do the above/access the above sites in Canada on Amazon's free wireless? :confused:

Kindle comes to Canada without browser

#30 ·
3g browsing is free and they never charged anything for documents sent to your free email account. Free means free.

You can email any document under 25megs as long as its a format that Kindle supports.

It's free since the document is downloaded via wifi not 3g so you need a newer Kindle.

#32 ·
If you're in the US (which you're not) then the other email address (kindlename@kindle.com) charges (i think it's 15 cents per GB) to receive data over 3g. Last U checked this feature wasn't active in Canada.

To get a file for free without wifi then you simple need to email the file to a normal email account and connect the Kindle to a PC and copy and paste the file over using USB

#35 ·
It was in my flyer this week for Staples and last week for The Source. I've still got the flyer for Staples. It says "Get it at Staples First!" Then it says $159 with a picture of the Kindle - presumably that's the price for the one with just WiFi. It then says WiFi+3G (followed by a price code) and $239 with "In-store only" in brackets underneath it. So unless they are lying about what is available in store then I have to assume you can now get a Kindle in B&M stores in Canada.

#37 ·
I just tried to access my Rogers Yahoo Mail on a display unit at a Source store here in Canada to make sure this option was available before I bought a Kindle 3G & got the message that the web browser did not support Rogers Yahoo Mail.
Any ideas? Is there a way around this?

#45 ·
Wow man...I owe you.
Took me right to the charger, thanks.
I don't think I will need it though.
58 days of our trip is on a Holland America Cruise ship so I assume I will be able to charge it on the boat with the cable that comes with it.

I will be taking a netbook along also, but ships wi-fi is VERY slow & expensive.
This will be great for quick e-mails to stay in touch with my family back home whenever we are close to a port & 3G is available.
I can always take the netbook ashore in ports & look for a wireless connection but I do not really want to waste any time ashore if at all possible.

Do you have any idea what newspapers are avaiable?
If they are free through 3G that would be a bonus but I don't mind paying for a subscription, as long as I can bring them up down there.
Mainly looking for a local paper here, The Telegram (St. John's, NL), which I subscribe to & is available on line...would I have to do anything else through the Kindle to have access to it? & maybe the Globe & Mail.
International papers would be nice to have access to also if the above are not accessible.

#46 ·
More good news. Your Kindle comes with 2 email addresses. The 3g one isn't free but the wi-fi version is.

Your kindle will come with an email address. It's in a sub-menu. I think you can change it via your amazon account.

The non free email domain is @kindle.com

The free (wifi) address has a domain of @free.kindle.com

The reason why i mention this is because you can send newspapers to your kindle via

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Calibre does many things but the best thing is the ability to send newspapers via email. When i'm on holidays i have my pc at home running and it sends out (via a scheduler) newspapers throughout the day. Just find wifi and it will download to the Kindle. Hundreds of newspapers and website summaries are available from around the world.

The Kindle has great battery life but if you have the wireless on then it will suck the battery so turn it off when you're not using wireless (3g or wifi)

I even managed to do some day trading on my kindle while on a beach in mexico. it was slow and painful but it worked.

#47 ·
Kindle 3G + wi fi

Hi all,

I have just pre-ordered the Kindle 3G + Wifi, but I have until april 26th to cancel my order.

I am in Montreal and I am not sure if the Kindle (I don't know the current generation, but it's the newer as of April 2012) is really what I need, so your help will be much appreciated.

That's what I am looking for:

- PDF reader
- Word Doc reader
- Web browsing (OK, no flash, but I need to read the news, I am not talking about subscription, but I wanna read web sites like Montreal Gazette, Globe and Mail, etc)
- 3G is a must cause I'd be able to take it on vacations and google maps, locations, etc
- Wi Fi
- e-mail reader (Gmail)
- stream music through my home network

Please, is the kindle for me ?

Thanks,

Mongao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.