Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Software Version E661 for ExpressVu 5100 / 5800 / 5900 Discussion

60K views 198 replies 52 participants last post by  dosborne 
#1 ·
Bell has announced that a new Software version for the 5100/5800/5900 would be available in January.

The exact date for the update is not known.

Once it has been released this thread will be for owners to discuss. This thread will replace Software Version E553 for 5100/5800/5900 Discussion

Please note - Do not post in this thread asking when the updates are happening. If you do, your post will be deleted and an infraction issued.

This thread is strictly for the discussion on new firmware by 5x00 series owners who have received the latest firmware.

#190 ·
Forced Download EPG

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Re why I did not use removing the smart card: I did use it but I did not realize that I had to have the system file come up and in addition do a check switch.

Since I don't have to do a check switch on my 5900, can someone please advise what this is and how to do it. I'd like to know what the check switch actually does and when and why it is used when you want to force an EPG download. Although I'm pretty good at using timers, I am not a technical type guy so I'd appreciate the simple version, if there is one.

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

#191 ·
Re why I did not use removing the smart card: I did use it but I did not realize that I had to have the system file come up and in addition do a check switch.
There should be no reason to do a Check Switch after removing and re-inserting the Smart Card.....

A Check Switch is basically to let the receiver know just what kind of switch and LNBF's are connected. For example, if you are running legacy Switch's and LNBF's the receiver will output 13volts and 18 volts, for Odd and Even channels. If you are using Dish Pro or Dish Pro Plus, the receiver must output 20 Volts.

A Check Switch should be run after any kind of Hydro outage to the receiver.

#192 ·
I've encountered a strange timer bug this week as a result of the time change.

Somehow my "weekly" or "daily" recordings of TV shows have all been switched to expect the program one hour earlier (i.e. 10pm instead of 11pm). Although the receiver still finds the show about half the time (there seems to be some intelligence in there that it goes ahead and records a show of the same name an hour later if it finds it on that channel). I have lost several episodes and after I noticed, needed to delete and re-create those timers.

Anyone else encounter this? (E661 on a 5900 Bell receiver).

#193 ·
Sounds like there may have been an issue re DST.

I'd start by doing a reset on your receiver. I'm guessing the odds are pretty good this will resolve it.

If that doesn't fix it, a call to Bell to verify your Time Zone is set correctly may be in order. What TZ are you in?

#194 ·
New Twist on Disappearing Timers

This is a new one in my history with the 5xxx PVRs.

I have had two specific timers set for Sunday morning programs for some time. They are manual timers. For two weeks now these two timers (two of several on Sundays) not only did not fire, they actually disappeared. When I went back to the history they were nowhere to be found.

However, both timers show on the schedule for next week!?!

I went to the timers section and both timers are still there as well. In fact, they are the first and second priority (after I had to reset them when they did not fire last week). Both showed on the schedule last night. This morning neither had fired and, as stated, nothing showed that they even had existed in the history.

I have not recreated them because I want to see if they actually fire next week as shown on the schedule. However, as a fail safe I am recording them on another PVR.

I assume that this software for Bell is a literal copy of what was created earlier for DISH. Does anyone know if this is true?

#195 ·
I've deleted ALL my timers on my 5900 and it's still recording show! I found that it was missing many shows that were set up but would still record shows that were deleted in the timers and not even in the list. So frustrating! I'll have to unplug it for a bit to see if it clears its throat, but what a pain. I hope a fix comes out soon.

#197 ·
Not to worry kvanbrandt, Bell TV staff frequent these pages so I am sure they have read your post. As to doing anything about it, well that is another matter.

#198 ·
Bell TV staff may read here, but officially logging an issue is the proper way to go about it. I would not count on anything happening just because someone psts here. But if 25,000 prople call in and complain about an issue then it is more likely to get fixed.

Often, it will also result in a credit of some sort starting at $10, more often 3 free PPV, but sometimes more $.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.