Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Question about HDMI/DVI Port

11K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  rogue17 
#1 ·
Hi there, This is my first time in this section but don't know where to find the following information.

I have a LG HDTV with a HDMI IN Port and have my Bell HD receiver connected with a HDMI to HDMI cable.

I also have a HDMI/DVI Port and was wondering if I can connect a Bluray Player to it using a HDMI to HDMI cable like I did with my Bell Receiver?

Is the HDMI/DVI Port different than the HDMI IN Port? :confused:

I know there are splitters but have heard that it may be tricky using splitters.

#3 ·
You can connect HDMI & DVI if you use the appropriate cable. I suspect that "HDMI/DVI" port is labeled that way for that reason. However, if you use DVI you'll have to provide a separate connection for audio. That HDMI/DVI port may have a setting for use with a separate audio connection that regular HDMI ports wouldn't have. On both of my TVs, that separate connection is a mini-phone jack.

#4 ·
c/p jayoldschool
Short answer, yes. However, if you have an AVR, you should run the HDMI from the BD to the AVR, then out to the TV (you can use an HDMI to DVI cable).
You lost me jay. You said yes but then you say "you can use an HDMI to DVI cable" if I have an AVR.

What I want to know is, can I connect a Bluray diectly into the HDMI/DVI port of the TV using a HDMI to HDMI cable?

#16 ·
What I want to know is, can I connect a Bluray diectly into the HDMI/DVI port of the TV using a HDMI to HDMI cable?
But you realize that if you do this then you aren't getting surround sound. To take full advantage of the audio on Bluray, DVD and most digital TV channels you need a receiver that can decode surround sound and send it to your 5.1 (or 7.1 or whatever) speakers.

#9 ·
^^^^
If it's a HDMI connector on the TV and also on the BR player, then a straight HDMI - HDMI cable should be OK. It's only when HDMI - DVI cable is used that separate audio is used and that port has to be configured to use the separate audio. As I mentioned, both of my TVs have that on one of the HDMI ports. In that case, a HDMI - DVI cable is used to connect a DVI device, along with audio cable.

#11 ·
It sounds like the only reason DVI is mentioned is due to the audio connectors. When connecting devices with DVI out, a separate audio cable is required. (DVI does not support audio.) When connecting to a device with HDMI out, that should be all that is required.

#14 ·
^^^^
The DVI & HDMI ports are compatible for the video signal. If you have to connect a DVI device to HDMI, you get a cable with DVI connector on one end and HDMI on the other. However, you'll also need an audio cable and then configure that HDMI port to use the separate audio connection. On the other hand, if you connect a HDMI device to that same port, you do not need a separate audio cable nor do you have to configure for separate audio.

BTW, My Sharp Aquos TV has 6 HDMI ports. Only one of the six can be configured for use with DVI.

#15 ·
Some TVs have this feature while others do not allow for audio unless it's HDMI at both ends, or the DVI at the sending end is a computer which often sends audio out the DVI. Anything that doesn't send audio out the DVI (most STBs, etc) will require that type of input on the TV, along with the analogue audio cables for audio. The TV usually needs to be specially configured in the user menu, but this is all probably described in the operating manual for any TV that has such a feature.

#18 ·
My point was that if you connect your components directly to your TV then you are only going to get sound out of your TV speakers, not out of your AVR connected to your surround sound speakers. So if you have an AVR then you should be trying to route all of your connections through your AVR, at least all of your audio connections.

#19 ·
James
If it's a HDMI connector on the TV and also on the BR player, then a straight HDMI - HDMI cable should be OK
Yes it is a HDMI connector labeled HDMI/DVI IN

DS
jayoldschool: You need to reread it again. the HDMI/DVI port is the port on the TV and the only thing that mentions DVI It is actually just a HDMI port with the 2 composite audio ports. The HDMI/DVI port works like a normal HDMI port if it is connected to an HDMI device. For example. Blu-ray to TV hooked up using a HDMI to HDMI cable.
That is what I think

Scarybob
It sounds like the only reason DVI is mentioned is due to the audio connectors. When connecting devices with DVI out, a separate audio cable is required. (DVI does not support audio.) When connecting to a device with HDMI out, that should be all that is required.
This HDMI/DVI port can handle both cables I think.

Wayne
But you realize that if you do this then you aren't getting surround sound. To take full advantage of the audio on Bluray, DVD and most digital TV channels you need a receiver that can decode surround sound and send it to your 5.1 (or 7.1 or whatever) speakers.
I don't need surround sound really.

#22 ·
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys kill me!! :D Yes we all do need surround sound. Wifey is always complaining when I turn on the surround sound says it's too loud. Of course I'm watching football or hockey.:) But really I can do without the surround sound on the BD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.