Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

MTS bringing Fibre to the Home to many communities

46K views 92 replies 23 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
Customers will be able to enjoy MTS Ultimate TV and faster Internet speeds

Steinbach residents will soon have access to the next generation of high definition television and the fastest broadband connections available as MTS deploys its fibre-to-the-home network (FiON) in the community over the coming months.

Customers on MTS's fibre optic network will have access to the most advanced consumer telecommunications services that MTS offers including MTS Ultimate TV and a new suite of high-speed Internet products with speeds up to 25 Mbps and potential future speeds of over 100 Mbps.

The award winning MTS Ultimate TV service provides Manitobans with the most feature rich television service in Canada, delivering over 56 HD channels and the industry leading Whole Home PVR service that can record and playback TV programs on any connected TV in the home as well as many other great features.

MTS is investing $125 million over the next five years to make its Ultimate TV service available to an additional 120,000 homes in close to 20 Manitoba communities through the deployment of its fibre optic network. MTS Ultimate TV is currently available to 95 per cent of Winnipeg households, and in Brandon, Portage La Prairie and a growing number of homes in Selkirk.

For more information on MTS FiON please visit www.mts.ca/fion.

#5 ·
I checked an address in Selkirk that has FTTH. The plans are the same as Winnipeg except they don't have the Bolt plan (which is basically shared bandwidth with TV). The plans are:

Light 256 Kbps
Lightning 7.5 Mbps
MAX 15 Mbps
Super MAX 25 Mbps

#10 ·
I'm moving to the Sage Creek development and MTS has told me I'll be on their fiber network.

Does anyone know if I'll be keeping my 2wire router, or do they use something new for fiber?

If its new, is it wireless? I kind of like my 2wire router because I prefer using wired connections for my equipment. Too many problems with wireless.

Thanks

#11 ·
You'll probly even carry over your current equipment as the 3800 2wire is common for running off of the fibers ONT. Unless you allready have the 3801, then i dunno, cause there is no just cause for the boosted 3801 upon the fiber. p.s. expect twice the internet speeds you were getting. (Y)

#12 ·
they will give you a 3800. 3801s serve no purpose in a fiber install becuase you are not using the modem part of it. the fiber ONT plugs into the red broadband rj45 on the back of the 2wire. they want to use the 3800's for fiber installs becuase we have so many of them and need to use them somewhere and eventually no one on copper will use a 3800, only a 3801.

#15 ·
Great news for Steinbach.. Too bad we can't get MTS internet services in the Morris area..
-C.

#21 ·
MTS launches Ultimate TV service in Steinbach

From the MTS press release:

MTS's Ultimate TV service is available over MTS's new fibre optic network which provides access to the most advanced telecommunications services that MTS offers and lays the groundwork for telecommunications services of the future.

A special event celebrating the launch of MTS Ultimate TV in Steinbach will take place in January 2012.

MTS Ultimate TV is currently available to 95 per cent of Winnipeg households as well as in Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Selkirk, Dauphin and a growing number of households in Steinbach. Approximately 1,960 homes in Steinbach are now eligible for fibre connection and Ultimate TV service. MTS will continue to convert Steinbach residential customers to the new network next year, with plans to have the Steinbach network fully deployed by late 2012.

#22 ·
#25 ·
Ultimate TV service now available in Thompson

MTS today announces the launch of its industry-leading MTS Ultimate TV service in Thompson, MB. The award winning MTS Ultimate TV service provides Manitobans with one of the most feature rich television experiences in Canada, and is made available over MTS's new fibre optic network called FiON.

Over 1,600 homes in Thompson are now eligible for fibre connection and MTS's Ultimate TV service. MTS plans to have FiON fully deployed in Thompson by late 2012.