Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Any Really Addictive New Games In Today's Market?

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  PokerChip 
#1 ·
I was kind of curious on this, since I haven't been hit hard from a game in 4 years.
My game was NHL 2003 for the computer. There was nothing spectacular about the game, but that was the first time I started playing online. The gameplay itself was solid, but I was addicted to the online play. It was the type where you start off with a rating of 1500 and if you beat someone you go up, if you lose you go down. The part that really grabbed me was if you beat someone with a higher rating than you, you would go up even higher than if you beat someone with a similar rating. It also had a fantasy system where the more you played, you could buy virtual hockey cards and each player you got could be part of your fantasy hockey team.

I ended up playing 10-12 hours straight. At the time I was going to school full time and working full time. It got to the point where i was thinking of reasons to leave work early and missing most of my courses. EA Sports made it worse by extending my membership and sending me t-shirts and other games for doing surveys on their website.
My addiction only lasted about 6 months and that is because the online community started to slow down significantly. It was a good thing since I ended right before exams - and managed to pass everything. Plus the G/F was getting sick of me being on the computer all day/night. Looking back now, I am surprised at how easy I got into the mentality of gameplay. I find this odd since I hate adventure and strategy games, and you hear about those games being the most addictive.

I bought NHL 04, 05, 06, 07 and have but some significant time into them, but no more than 4 hours a week for the first month or two. No other game since has done the same thing.

Any one else out there have any stories?

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally, I feel that games today are rushed and aren't nearly as addicting as older games, or maybe I am just gettiing older (35):p

The last game I got addicted to was City of Heroes/Villians. Had to quit playing it because it was taking up so much time. Now anytime I play a game, I play for at most 3 hours, then I am bored. Right now I am playing Rogue Galaxy and Final Fantasy XII on my PS3 and even with these games, I get a little bored after a few hours.

I own all of the current systems, yet each week I look forward to a new game being released that I can get inot, yet it never happens. This week will be Virtual Fighter for the PS3, yet I don't feel too trilled about it either.

Would like to get views from others.

Brian

#3 ·
I have to agree I don't get totally addicted to 1 game like I used too, although I do still play games a lot still. I just don't have the time to invest in 1 game, although I have a feeling Guitar Hero may become my next addiction :)

past addiction:
Man it has to be a tie between Baseball Stars and Baseball Simulator 1.000, both for the Nintendo. I played both those games to death.

upcoming:
I have a funny feeling I will be spending a lot of time this spring with guitar Hero 2 for the 360. I tried a demo of it out for the PS2 at Futureshop a few weeks ago and I was totally hooked. I'm a huge music fan, especially being brought up on a lot of the music in the game so naturally this may turn into my next addiction.

I'll kepe you posted in April if GH does indeed become an additiction.

for now though I play a lot of games for short spans, time permitting... :)

#4 ·
Baseball Simulator 1000 was awesome! I probably spent 200 bucks renting it and I could never find it to buy. Looking back I probably should have just kept it and said that I lost it, but I was just a kid then. I hope it comes out for the Wii Virtual Console soon.

#5 ·
My first addiction was with Sega Hockey 95 can't remember the exact name but played it in university in the dorm rooms. We played it to death. We had to buy 3 copies of the game because it was used soooooo much. Basically there was move you could do if you had a breakaway or at least a clear stride to the next...left then right then left again...top shelf. Scores in the game started to climb to 50-53 I remember one game hit 75-75 and went into overtime.

Since graduating and working I have not devoted time to games as in the past. I play Gears of War online about 9 hours a week with a mix of Rainbow Six:Vegas single and multiplayer in there when the G/F allows. GoW can become a bit repetitive but playing with different guys and different weapon layouts can make the game fresh again.

I cannot stand strategy games...might as well stick a hot poker in my eye. I did try to play the Command and Conquer series...but that lasted all of 30 minutes and I wanted to kick the screen in.

#8 ·
I got addicted years ago to a hacked Wolfenstein 3D version :)

I had every version of Wolfenstein 3D for PC in the early '90s and then when John Carmack gave away the code there was a guy who built a custom 61-level version! After battling zillions of Nazi soldiers, zombies, mad scientists, genetic mutants, and other increasingly vicious villains I played all the way to the final secret entrance. On entering, I realized that the giant room was filled up with the biggest cache of ammunition I'd ever seen... I braced myself for the most deadly evil Nazi monster to come at me... I was loaded and ready, and I finally got the nerve to trigger the final secret passageway at the very end of that big room.

As it opened I moved backwards with all guns blazing, my ammo count continuously refilling to 100% as I leaned on the fire button before the creature even showed itself. Just then, the grim music that had been playing all through the 61 levels changed to something so weird, so familiar yet so out of place that I was in shock... out it came...

Blinky from Pac-Man!!! Complete with the jerky side-to-side stutter and the silly music! :D

I roared with laughter but continued to spray that red ghost with all the ammo I could fire, constantly running from it and reloading, but to no avail. It finally caught up with me and that was the end. I tried everything to get away. The hacked version had been written for Blinky to get you no matter what you tried.

At the time I felt pissed off, fuming that I'd earned my escape only to be thwarted by this BS! Looking back, I chuckle and remember the most addicting video game I'd ever played.

Back on topic, as for today's new games being addictive, I can say that my adult son disappears quite often to play God of War on PS2, and I know he's dying for GoW 2 to come out.

#9 ·
I picked up Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin for the DS and haven't been able to put it down. It's kinda weird but the two most addictive games for me in recent memory have been on the the DS, CV:pOR being one and the New Super Mario Bros. being the other. GoW and PGR 3 are up there but I still have to give props to the other 2.

#10 ·
Addiction...people say it like a bad thing?....
Mine were:
  • Blaster Master - Nintendo...Just could not beat final levels!
  • NHL95- Genesis - Every golf night 2 times a week my buddy and I would cap it off with cold ones and this game! No one could stop me with my Hawks and Amonte and Roenek..the 2 timers..the dekes...ahhh..sweetness..
  • RoadRash - Genesis - Unlocking all the sweet bikes was Killer!
  • Star Trek - Elite Force - PC - The only FPS I really got good at. Belonged to a great clan [Dark] and played this many many nights over a 3-4 year period
  • Ratchet&Clank Series -PS2 - Every version I played straight nights till I finished them.
  • Now I mostly stick to RallyCross2 - Xbox, Hot Shot Golf4 - PS2 and throw in a bit of Call of Duty3 & Halo2 in there too

#11 ·
hmmm...

The first was probably X-Com: UFO Defense. I didn't have a computer at the time so I'd borrow my floormate's in rez. During reading week I don't think it was ever shut off. I'd play all day and another guy would play all night.

Next was Team Fortress Classic... I lived in a house with 5 other guys. All the computers were networked together so normally 4 of us (the other guy was addicted to Civiliation) would waste our evenings and weekends blasting away.

Now, it's probably Gear of War. Whether it's coop, multiplayer with friends or ranked it's normally a fun experience. I think I put in at least 12 hours over the last 3 days.

#12 ·
Front Page Sports Football! Quite possibly the greatest football game ever realeased! This was for the PC back in the late 90s.

Madden Football - every year, all day every day until christmas.

There was a baseball game for the PC that was amazing as well. I think it was called high heat baseball! What a game. Again in the late 90s. I played 20 games a night; probably finished 10 seasons.

What ever happened to the PC games of yesteryear! Damn consoles!

#13 ·
The last really addictive game for me on the PC was Grand Theft Auto III.

With the mp3 playback capability it gave me many hours of glee to just randomly BSU to music of my choice :) (Something to be said about sniping from the top of a bridge to the 1812 Overture y'know? ;)

Console wise? PS2 Katamari damacy / We Love Katamari... those games are pure evil and unless I stop myself I can end up playing those for hours on end and go "Wha? four hours? Ah just five more minutes..."

NefCanuck

#14 ·
Red Faction 1 ONLINE play for the PC was a real addiction in 2001. It was problematic at times where I would seriously put off things I needed to do and it caused me quite a few headaches.

I used to own so badly at that game. I was part of a Red Faction clan and the whole deal.

Newer games are obviously better graphics and sound, but RF was the firt game to incorporate Geo-mod where you whould shoot a wall and make a hole in it. The game also ran so smoothly, it was very fast-paced and the shooting was extremely accurate. I still can't play shooters anywhere as good on a console using gamepads compared to the mouse and keyboard.

Anyway, THQ is apparently bringing RF3 to the market in the near future for next gen consoles (and probably computer, too). That could be a good thing, or....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.