Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on drive

6K views 53 replies 24 participants last post by  digital island 
#1 ·
#7 ·
This new accessory will connect to the Xbox 360 console with a USB cable, enabling it to harness the power of the Xbox 360 console for the HD video outputs and digital surround sound.

That's what I don't understand. If they aren't planning on having HMDI, then what's the point?

From this release, it looks like the device will use the component outputs on the XBOX 360.

#8 ·
dukee said:
That's what I don't understand. If they aren't planning on having HMDI, then what's the point?

From this release, it looks like the device will use the component outputs on the XBOX 360.
It's been mentioned before -by Microsoft- that there's a HDMI cable coming out. Sorry I don't have a link, but I think it's in the Xbox.com site.

Very simply they can sell another set of cables, just like they do now with the component set, but HDMI.

#11 ·
A driver for the HD-DVD add-on will be out within 2 weeks after the release.

Not hard to create a driver for any device that has firmware memory.

And in case anyone doesn't know this, there already is a "driver" for the Xbox 360 drive when plugged into a PC.

#17 ·
Firmware update to XBOX HD-DVD drive - May 15th

A firmware update to the HD-DVD add-on drive for the XBOX 360 will be released today May 15th.

No word yet on what the firmware update will do but expect better compatibility with discs and future interactive features.

You can get the update trough XBOX Live when you log on with the drive attached.
http://www.dvdtown.com/news/firmware-update-to-xbox-hd-dvd-drive/4462

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.