Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

CTV BC News Going HDTV Soon!

19K views 66 replies 33 participants last post by  stampeder 
#1 ·
When I was in line today to pick up my new CTV 2010 pin here in Vancouver I asked Pamela Martin when CTV was going to start broadcasting the local news in HDTV. She said soon ... before the end of the year. She said they will be the first local station in Vancouver. In case you were wondering about CBC local news, it is Widescreen SDTV.

#7 ·
I'm guessing that they want to get up and running with lots of time to sort out any bugs prior to the Olympics.

I remember a couple of years ago that Global BC's studios were being re-wired and re-modeled specifically for when they made the switch to an HD broadcast, but so far they are still in SD.

Thanks to CTV for embracing and keeping up with changing technology! I'll be tuning in more frequently once you move the HD.

#9 ·
What's the allure of news in HD though? I mean, I could see the value in something like American Idol or Lost in HD - whether it's a better audio or visual picture experience.

But for the news? Am I going to see the broadcaster's blemishes better? Get my weather in surround sound?

I'd rather CTV put more effort into getting their OTA signal to hit the south slopes of Vancouver.

As for CBC's broadcast only being widescreen SD... you sure about that? I've seen a lot of SD content simply made widescreen (i.e. TV stations that just play the equivalent of the widescreen DVD version of a movie); and CBC's news broadcast seems to be better quality than that.

#10 ·
CBC's (National) studio is certainly HD. Many of the portable (field) cameras are WS, while some are still 4:3 SD. You can easily see the difference as they switch from the studio to Field WS. If you visit the CBC website and look at their schedule, you'll see the "HD" after the National.

http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/daily/today/cbc_television

I cannot comment on the local news, which it seems was the topic of discussion?

#14 ·
^ by that point, they'll be broadcasting at a frequency where you can watch it just by closing your eyes and thinking about CTV. Maybe on the 6Mhz frequency that our brains and the Earth run at?

#15 ·
CTV local news (Vancouver) going HD?

Lately I kind of switch back from CBC to CTV for local news (can't stand CBC's "fake HD") and notice CTV local news (newsroom scenes and some local news scenes) are in HD (although still in 4:3 aspect ratio with black side bars, and I know it wasn't HD yet before the summer, and surely wasn't on Canada Day). Since I haven't been following CTV with local news this summer I don't know when has CTV switched. Perhaps same time CTV National went HD last month?

Looking forward to CTV taking out the black side bars soon.

#16 ·
CTV local news (Vancouver) going HD

Anyways, basically I notice CTV local news (Vancouver) PQ on CIVT-HD and Shaw has gone much better these days, although still only 4:3 with side bars.

This is Coleen Christie in fake HD back in March (click on the image to show original 1920x1080 screenshot):

This is her in real HD (4:3) today:

As I mentioned in the other thread, some local news footage has also gone real HD (again 4:3 though, see the details of the chains holding the "E" side of the sign and the traffic light bezel hinges):

Looking forward to CTV removing the side bars.

#18 ·
Yeah, that led me believe CTV local news (Vancouver) probably became HD at the same time CTV National news became HD last month. It also led me believe it's about time for CTV local news (Vancouver) to remove the side bars (perhaps they don't have background graphics available yet for the 4:3 scenes).

#25 ·
TVFool refers to specifics in OTA transmission that does not apply to this thread. CTV Vancouver has been transmitting in 1080i for at least a year now. And from noticing the picture quality of their local news, I can tell the images from their News Studio are now (perhaps since September) 1080i all the way from their camera equipment to my TV. Whatever they need to overhaul in-house, it's not related to transmission.

#26 ·
What is with CTV local news newsroom (Vancouver) today (November 11)? Have you noticed they "green-screen"'ed a blurred newsroom background today (like they do the weather background behind Tamara)? You can tell by looking closer to any of the anchors' hair or the table that reflects some TV-white-noise-like image.

#27 ·
I thought it was just me! They seem to have improved their effects today but they are still green/blue screening all the newsanchor shots...you can tell from the background and how its not quite right. Are they doing some newsroom renovations? They said they're going HD before the olympics, so several more months of testing?

#31 · (Edited)
I thought it was just me! They seem to have improved their effects today but they are still green/blue screening all the news anchor shots...you can tell from the background and how its not quite right. Are they doing some newsroom renovations? They said they're going HD before the Olympics, so several more months of testing?
Yes, you are correct. There is a green screen behind them (the anchors). It looks so fake and there seems to be no movement behind in the newsroom! LOL! The exciting news is that you don't have to wait long for the new HD studio. They will be unveiling the new studio on Monday, November 16, 2009!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.