Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HDMI now supported

4K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  rfin16 
#1 ·
Looks like HDMI is now the preferred choice for FibreOP.

#7 ·
We are scheduled for an install soon. Will they be using HDMI connectors now?

Also for interior wiring are we best to ask for CAT 5 or CAT6 or does it make any difference?

Finally is it useful to upgrade the standard phone lines at the same time or does fibreop make no difference to the land-line quality?

Thanks for your advice.

#8 ·
1. I think HDMI would be obvious but I would ask when the tech arrives.

2. Don't believe that they give you a choice between cat5e and cat6. Whichever the tech is carrying on his truck will suffice. Both are capable of 1000BaseT or Gigabit Ethernet.

3. My understanding is the old land lines stay the same, all they do is patch them into network.

#9 ·
i know when they came and installed it for me they used CAT 5e. you could ask if you really want CAT 6 to see if they actually have some with them but there is not really any difference. the only difference between the two is that CAT 6 is certified for gigabit Ethernet which is just a technicality really

#13 ·
"the only difference between the two is that CAT 6 is certified for gigabit Ethernet which is just a technicality really"

"5e is also certified for Gigabit Ethernet. There's really no need for Cat6 in a home environment."

Did nobody read MY post? ;)

#16 ·
HDMI

HDMI might be supported but I just had Fibreop installed in Summerside. PE yesterday and the installer installed component cables. When I questioned this, he said my PVR won't work right with HDMI? I'm questioning whether he was a good installer or not :) LOL

I have a few HDMI's around so I will probably change it out and see how it goes.

Glen

#18 ·
"he said my PVR won't work right with HDMI?"
As of the beginning of April HDMI is supposed to be the "preferred" wire up. He probably didn't get the memo.

"I was told that for our upcoming install they would use component cables as they do no yet support HDMI"
He must also be out of the loop. "It might work but..." was the typical answer before, but now HDMI is indeed supported.

#20 ·
From what I understand, there can be issues with STB's and certain model TV's improperly handshaking over HDMI. Things such as no sound, flickering, etc.
The PVRs are less likely to have this issue but some older STB's may still need to be connected through component.

#22 ·
Well they did use HDMI when they installed on Wednesday. And after a few good days, the PVR is now having problems.

We are unable to do anything other than watch live TV, We are getting errors like "temporarily unable to play video" for recordings when there is one or no recordings on ongoing, and "Unable to play video" for On Demand subscriptions we do have.

Could these issues be related to HDMI? What can I try (as a newbie without real tech background) to diagnose the problem? Thank you for your help.

#24 ·
Unplugging it and plugging it back in did not work but it has worked after using the restart option on the menu. Will see if there are recurrent problems; perhaps just how the system was using resources though very little was being asked of it re taping and viewing at the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.