Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

TiVos for HD OTA in Canada

Tags
tivo
359K views 1K replies 137 participants last post by  Jase88 
#1 ·
all of these DVD recorders seem to record in either EDTV or SDTV but not HDTV
To record HDTV you're not going to get much on a single layer DVD (cheapest media). If you're going to use DL you might as well get a BDU subscription, because at current prices if you record a few one hour shows per week, you could almost get a HD PVR from a BDU.

I'm hoping (fingers crossed behind back) that someone will come out with a HDTV PVR with an ATSC tuner - other than the Tivo 3 (which stampeder I think you forgot to mention in the list above). At least one DHCer (Dajad) is using a Tivo 3 as his ATSC tuner/PVR. Unfortunately, and I'm really not trying to troll here, the Tivo 3 IMHO is overpriced for Canadians as we cannot (legally) take advantage of all the functionality the Tivo3 offers. Still a great STB /PVR for those who can afford it.

cheers,
99gecko

#86 ·
I wanted to purchase a DTVpal last year at this time. But the DTVpal had several bugs last year ( I don't about now ). I choose the TIVO HD and never been more happier with a home electronic equipment.

I can record Canadian analogue broadcasts and digital one OTA. Someone told me that you cannot record analogue broadcasts with the DTVpal but I cannot confirm that.

The Tivo run 4 to 6 hours at my home during the week. Not one bug.

#89 ·
buying a TiVo

Thanks for all your replies... I really don't want to buy any PVRs for $400-600... I don't have that kind of money to play with, but I was really looking into the TiVo since it's being sold for around $189 at Best Buy and I keep hearing about all the convenient options it has. I don't mind not being able to record in HD format, as long as the channel itself still gets recorded. I don't mind watching stuff in SD format. What I will record will mostly be movies and tv shows, not sports games, so I don't mind the picture not being the best it could be. Right now the place i'm renting subscribes to Bell satellite, so as long as the TiVo will work with the receiver box and still record all the channels i want (just not in HD all the time), then i'll be happy... :eek:) did i understand you guys correctly??

#90 ·
Yes, the TiVo will work with the Bell box allowing you to record all of your channels. The TiVo is a great box but don't forget that you have to pay a subscription fee of (I think) $12.95/month. That's over $150/yr, more if you add in taxes so that it isn't that much less than $400 when you look at your all-in costs for one year.

#93 ·
Just to clarify there are no taxes added on to the subscription. The cost is the $12.95 per month or yearly or lifetime subscription in U.S. dollars.

And to the other poster, yes you can record your HD channels but it is in the SD format. If you own more than one unit you can also use multi-room viewing and download your programs to your computer or laptop.

#91 ·
I should add, because this is the OTA section, that the Series 2 DT specifically does not support antenna at all.. This is to comply with an FCC rule that devices that have antenna tuners have ATSC tuners. TiVo copped out not including antenna support in that model. They held to their guns and left out support for the OTA converter boxes in that TiVo becuase it wan't supposed to be antenna compatible.

#101 ·
well i could purchase the HD TiVo box and use it until Canada decides to catch up to U.S., no??
You could, but as I said, it will not work with any box service. Only Series 2s will (in Canada).
and yes i understand that I would have to purchase it in the U.S. or U.S. website...
Yes, provided said site ships to Canada or you can make other arrangements. Tivo.com does not ship to Canada.

#97 ·
well i could purchase the HD TiVo box and use it until Canada decides to catch up to U.S., no??

and yes i understand that I would have to purchase it in the U.S. or U.S. website...
Yes, I am doing that right now. I have a Channel Master 4228 antenna and a VHF yagi plus a CM7777 preamp connected to my Tivo. I catch all of the US channels and some of the Montreal channels ( becasue of the opposite direction).

I purchased mine at Sears US. There's a guy in Alberta on the internet that sells the TivoHD to Canadians. He's expensive.

#100 ·
There are no retail stores in Canada that carry the Tivo HD and they will not ship it to Canada. You need to go to the U.S. to pick up the Tivo HD or buy from a other retailer that ships to Canada. Not sure if I am allowed to provide a link. There is one company I know of that does ship to Canada but it is expensive and I don't know how close to the border you are (not sure how close Mississagua is).

#103 ·
I posted about an OTA Tivo problem in the OTA Reception Vancouver, Victoria thread.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/posts/1053236/

Here's what I wrote:

I turned on my Tivo HD yesterday to find a message saying that there is a change to my lineup:

2-1 CBUT-DT moved to 58-1
8-1 CHAN-DT moved to 22-1
32-1 CIVT-DT moved to 33-1

Thanks...great except that each of those new channels are nothing but a black screen.

Can anyone think of a reason that Tivo would have done this? Is there a move in the works to put the stations on these new channels that Tivo is aware of but hasn't happened yet and they jumped the gun? Now, if I want to record on the 'real' OTA channels that I get (2-1 etc.) I have to do a manual recording and get no guide data. Meanwhile, it goes ahead and records all of my season passes on channels that have no content (but good guide data).

Interestingly, when I check Antenna signal strength these new channels do show strong signal but just black screen.
Since then I have called 5 times and am still trying to get them to change it back. My case has been escalated so I am hopeful it will be fixed soon.

#104 ·
Hey Faston I don’t know if there’s a line up change in your area but it sounds like TiVo has made a mistake.

My advice would be to call them every few days and get them to do a line-up change for you.

Unfortunately the TiVo techs you call do not make the changes. They send them off to another company and it can take time. It toke a year for me to get my locals sorted out and I’m still missing one.

The other issue is that not all TiVo Tech support guys are the same some really don’t have a clue when it comes to OTA.

They’ll have you do endless channel scans. You need to be patient and persistent.

In the short term if you have any friends that live close whose line-up is correct, and your only using the unit for OTA you could use their postal code.

Good luck.

#105 ·
glad i've read this thread

i've been thinking of getting rid of cogeco for awhile now - but i love the pvr and didn't think i had any other choices - i'm definately getting a tivo now and recording shows ota - it's $13 buck a month subscription but i'm paying 17 right now just to rent the pvr from cogeco - so excited to get rid of this bill now i can apply the money i'll save and get that gym membership i couldn't afford to get:)

#109 ·
Is the Premiere supposed to be able to record 2 shows on 2 different channels simutaneously on OTA? IOW, does it have Dual-ATSC tuner?

My other question is: since they don't sell them in QC, is it possible for somebody to go buy one elsewhere in Canada or in the US and activate it at your QC address?

#112 ·
ericball said:
Also note many of the value-add features of the Premiere (i.e. Netflix) are not available to Canadian subscribers
Dang!! I was sort of counting on that for my future "non-network TV" needs. Oh well, guess I'll keep renting Blu-Ray's at the video store. It's most likely that in the future, Blockbuster or other companies will provide "on-demand video" over the Internet in Canada. Question is when?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.