Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3200 will not power on

19K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  alebowgm 
#1 ·
I unplugged the upstairs Explorer which I own as all other STBs to install a UPS and upon plugging back in discovered it will not power on. Also, I found out that the upstairs outlets are ungrounded since the UPS gave me a trouble red light which I confirmed with a tester and later that the wire indeed does not have a ground.

I seldom watch this TV and spend the majority of my time downstairs where the wiring is grounded and I have computers and two UPS.

Called Rogers and their only offer was to provide a rental SD box for $4.99, mine was purchased some eight years ago for $60.

I was under the impression that Rogers would provide one SD box gratis but looks like I am wrong.

I am not familiar with the new STB box offerings and would like advice as to what would be the best solution to get a replacement and which one? I suppose repairing the 3200 is not a viable consideration.

Thanks in advance for your input.

#2 ·
You used to get a "free" STB, but that offer went away a few years ago if I remember. You can try another CSR to see if you have any luck. You may wish to search the want ads for a used STB if you can't get yours to fire up. Did you try another cable outlet - usually pretty rare for something to go wrong with these STBs.

SD STBs include the 940 - no display, the 1840, the 3200 and the new "digital adaptor" which is free from Rogers and would get you all the (former) analogue channels but not the full slate of digital channels.

#3 ·
I did not try to see if it would power on when connected to another cable outlet since I was told by CSR it should power on without being connected to cable. I tried different power outlets. Really strange that it should just fail like that after being plugged in for about eight years?

CSR did not tell me about the free cable adapter and I have not heard about it before.They told me to buy my own or rent theirs, take it or leave it.

Perhaps a purchase of the refurbished 8300 from TSC which I remember being mentioned in a thread herer might be an option to consider. My 8300HD has a 500 GB internal disk upgrade and was purchased at FS for about $300 some eight years ago, it sure paid for itself.

#4 ·
I had a 3250 (I think) that died a few years years ago. The power supply was the issue and I managed to find a small shop that fixes cable boxes. It cost me 40 dollars to fix and I know I can buy a E940 for 50 dollars on sale but the 3250 had a switched AC outlet that I needed. Google cable repair in your city and see if anyone fixes boxes. The cost will determine if a new one is a better choice.

#8 ·
Rogers retention department was not willing to provide a free SD box, they said I am on a promotion but I don't really know if that has anything to do with it. I just remember in the past they were willing to provide one free SD box and I refused because I had one.

I plan to look for a used one, thanks.

#9 ·
I have taken a few Terminals to the "The Cable Shoppe" to repair, just google them and your should quickly find them, repairs for the power supply range from 40-60$ so it isn't that bad, I couldn't see why a 3200 would be super expensive to repair but also if its done for good they can tell you that as well.

(If posting info about places to repair isn't allowed please edit the post accordingly)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.