Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

TVGOS in Canada

Tags
shaw tv guide
132K views 469 replies 91 participants last post by  TomP 
#1 ·
Anyone know what station is the host channel for TVGuide OnScreen in Ontario??

#5 · (Edited)
It does work in Ontario.
I am receiving Canadian data and apparently it is from CTV (analog ch. 9) including cable channel listings. I was given four choices in the setup, three cable providers and Bell Express View using a Toronto Postal Code.

Funny, there are program listings for the analog versions of the 'big 3' down here (NBC, CBS & ABC), but for their 'digital' versions, it come up "No listing".

#8 · (Edited)
Here are some screen shots from the internal diagnostic menus of TVGOS.

System info (2nd line shows V8 of the guide);

System statistics (notice the "Host channel" and the "VBI channel" are input 1 (which is the 2nd RF input, first is '0' and is on cable) and ch. 9);

Input config (2 RF inputs);

Recording history (I have two AVHDDs');

#12 ·
I am using TVGOS with my Toshiba XS35 DVD player. The only way I am able to get it to work is to have analog cable sent directly to the DVD player before it hits the STB. I could not get it to work from the STB. I am also of the understanding that it is not available from ExpressVu (yes? no?).

It's great when recording analogue signals, but useless when you want to record digital from the STB. Have to create manual recording sessions.

As it can't be used in conjunction with a cable or satellite box, I don't see the value in TVGOS.

#15 ·
I use TVGOS on Rogers in Mississauga. It is on CBLFT (Cable 12) and it has a complete guide. Some time in the middle of the year, they switched something in the guide and I had a hard time getting it to sync (I switched back to OTA which is CFTO 9). After a few weeks of mucking around, I managed to get it working. I look forward to the day when guide services can be downloaded from the internet (over Wi-Fi if available).

#22 ·
I don't know off hand if the LG (or Samsung) DVR had TVGOS or not.

Anyway, no matter what Postal Code I used (Toronto, Niagara Falls or Ft. Erie), the OTA listings for SE Ontario were the same. The only difference were the cable channels.

The most recent version of the Guide is V9 which is suppose the ATSC/CBS version. The CBS affilates will xmit the data through their digital stations.

#23 ·
GemStar TGOS Problems in Edmonton

Hey,

A couple days ago my Panasonic DMRE-85H PVR lost all the tvguide listings. I left the system alone for 24+ hours but nothing downloaded. So i reset the whole system wiping out all of the settings.

I setup the system again and left it overnight to download the guide. When I started it up, there was an onscreen message in the TVGuide, like"

"There are multiple channel lineups detected, choose from the following
"KTLA is on Channel 61
"KTLA is on Channel 60
"Manually setup channels

So, day one I picked "manually setup channels" and went through all the work to do so.

Day two, the system started up with the same message, so I picked KTLA on 61 (which is correct).

Both days the guides that do download are only partial (lots of the basic channels like Global are not even assigned channel numbers)

Anyone else having TGOS problems in Edmonton recently?

Tx
C

#27 ·
I just called a local Best Buy and they said they couldn't find the TVGOS logo on any of their DVD recorders. On hold with Future Shop now.

Who else should I call in Toronto?

BTW, I didn't start this thread, but shouldn't it be in the "DVD Players and Recorders / TiVo etc." forum?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.