Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

OTA: Quebec & Atlantic Canada Parts, Sales, Service, Installers

128K views 382 replies 125 participants last post by  Eckhard 
#1 ·
You could try Addison Electronics.
They are in Quebec.
I can't get there this morning to check because their server is down this morning, but you can give it a shot.
Look under the antenna section.

http://addison-electronique.com

[Edit June 4, 2006: Addison apparently does not sell OTA antennas anymore, but may still carry signal gear]

or

Hosick Television Co
416-243-1071
1844 Jane Street,
Toronto

They might have one or be able to get you one.
Best of luck as they are hard to find up here and too expensive usually.

You can also get ones that the cable companies use from
http://www.tinlee.com
He is in downtown Toronto.
But they are not Channel Master.

See less See more
#149 ·
Many of the merchants tell me that their CM products are on back order and CM can't supply them. This might be true since their is a huge influx of US customers buying it up during the DT transition till June of this year, but on the other hand my little voice in me tells me that it is simply "profits and greed" that drives them to carry a product they can wholesale for less and sell them at the same cost of the more expensive CM products ! I mean what is the percentage of people doing research like in these forums, maybe 10% or less, so in the end they come out ahead in terms of profits.

Does anyone know if Addision's is still selling those GE pre-amps ? it is not on their online catalog and I don't want to make a trip there for nothing :(

#153 ·
You can't go wrong with PCT (that's Channel Masters ampifier range), great DB gain for splitting purposes and doesn't amplify noise which causes a reduction of signal/blackouts :

http://www.pctinternational.com/_products/northamer/amplifiers/dropamps.html

They have up to 4 outputs, you power them via a coax cable. Mostly these can be found on ebay, hard to find in Canada, but sometimes you can find them in pro shops that sell Channel Master Equipment.

If you do buy from ebay:

1) Check the feedback of the person, ensure they have LOTS of positives (the number to the right of their name, click it).
2) Ensure they use Paypal so you can dispute if they don't send the product
3) Most important, some don't come with the A/C plug, you can't buy this A/C plug in stores, it's an injector (one end is the outlet plug and the end has a *COAX* plug!)

Ouf signal meters, not sure where you can get those off the top of my head as my TV has a signal meter...your TV doesn't have this option?

#154 ·
Here is a link to the site sponser. They have the Channel Master amps/splitters.

http://overtheair.saveandreplay.com/OTA_Switches.asp

I'm presently using the CM3412. Very happy with it. Nice solid built stuff. And, I have ordered from them. Within two days, my order was at my door. If you do have problems ordering on the site, just e-mail them, and they'll give you a quote.

#155 · (Edited)
Montreal suppliers

Electropath in Laval 450-667-1222
www.electropath.ca Luigi and Patrick
has Channel Master stuff along with less expensive equals. The 4 cell at $50 is perfect.
They have not been able to get the conbiners in as yet to conbine more then one antenna line into one TV.
Addision sell a $90 3 line (2 UHF one analog) that includes a booster.
My HP 42 LCD doesn't have a signal meter.
I'm going to try 2 antennas so that I get clean/clear 3,5,6,22,33,44,57, and 12,46, and 62 analog.

#157 ·
I was just at Raybel today to pick-up another CM4228HD and to my surprise they only had 2 more left from the dozen or so 2 weeks ago. The guy told me they are not able to restock more of them so they are stocking the Winegard HD-8800 instead, he was putting it up on display when I was there, I didn't really like the built quality of antennas with tubular tubes like the 8800.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/HD-8800.pdf

#158 ·
The Winegard PR-8800 is a good antenna option that I recommend if an original CM4228, DB8, or modified CM4228HD are not available.

Raybel is feeling the same supply problems as many OTA suppliers. I think Channel Master's distribution system was not ready for the demand for their new antennas, especially now that the CM4221HD and the CM4228HD can be greatly improved with some hardware hacks. ;)

#160 ·
Où trouver des balun de qualité?

salut,
jaimerais savoir ou je pourrais me procurer des balun ChannelMaster ou autre marque reconnue a MTL. Jai acheter des balun chez Raybel sur N-D dans l'est et jpo trop certain de leur qualité. Je ne crois pas pouvoir trouver qqch de qualité chez ADDtronique a PAT...

Donc, jaimerais avoir dautre suggestions pour me trouver ces balun pour modifier ma cm4228 pour avoir plus de stabilité avec WFFF, sinon va falloir que je deal mon proprio pour la monter sur son toit (dernier recours)

merci

#163 · (Edited by Moderator)
Kind of strange,... I was looking for an antenna to use at my trailer in Midland Ontario. I looked at the DB8 at AntennasDirect and they sell it for $119.00 USD which would be $134.00 CDN. They have a link on their site for their Canadian customers which I followed to a dealer in Montreal, (beDirecT.ca), and they list the DB8 at $79.00 CDN. That is $55.00 cheaper than AntennaDirect even after including the exchange rate. How does that work?

#164 ·
where do i buy 300 ohm twin lead wire in Montreal

So far im unable to find a store selling 300 ohm twin lead, preferably insulated, wire, specifically in the west island of Montreal.

And I know addisons, and raybel probably have it, but surely a west islander, in this day & age doesnt have to ravel to the east end of Montreal for $2 worth of twin lead!

#167 ·
#10, #8, #6, gauge single strand copper wire

Has anyone found any #10, #8, #6, gauge single stranded copper wire in Montreal or surrounding (not the braided stuff at HD).

It seems the stores only sell the thinner gauge #12 and higher in single stranded...

#168 ·
Has anyone found any #10, #8, #6, gauge single stranded copper wire in Montreal or surrounding (not the braided stuff at HD).

It seems the stores only sell the thinner gauge #12 and higher in single stranded...
You Might want to try FTA Supply, 8106 Route Transcanadienne 514-337-6264, just before the Cote Vertu Exit. The have strange hours, but they used to sell that type of wire. You next choice would be Vi-Tesse Eletronics 3850 Cote vertu 514-335-1151, just before Begin, they also had that wire......

#171 ·
Bad Experience @ MontCalm Electronique

Hi everyone first time here thank you this is a great site ...I have to share to share an experience I had with everyone ,I went to Montcalm on the street Des Laurentides in Laval I wasn't impressed with there info help with antennas they are more pricey than other stores and they don't return anything once you buy there is no money back I had to argue with the owner when i returned a tripod I baught on monday night and returned it tuesday morning ,I didn't install it nothing just wasn't comfortable making holes on the roof He ended up keeping $26.00 dollars & refunded the rest very unprofessional Just be careful Have a great .

#174 ·
Montcalm

Montcalm has always been a Jerk. He's always more expensive.

I never buy from him, example:
He wanted $ 120.00 for a CM 7000, I got it at Raybel from Jean for $ 90.00

He's very expensive in installations also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.