Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

OTA: Ontario Parts, Sales, Service, Installers

395K views 1K replies 458 participants last post by  folcan99 
#1 ·
I got a CM4248 from V&E Antenna in Thornhill. I've got it mounted on my rooftop and I use a rotor to fine tune.

#3 · (Edited)
Nutech in Hamilton

If you want a Wade antenna, they show a distributor on Woodbine in Toronto. I just go to Nutech in Hamilton.

All their distributors are listed here:

http://www.wade-antenna.com/Candistributors.htm

I hooked up my newest Wade UHF antenna last night and it works fine.It looks very different from the one I got a few weeks ago even though it is also a 4 bowtie with reflector setup. I used jumpers to connect the two antennas and then faced one at the CN Tower and the other one at Buffalo. Now everything analog is coming in with reasonable signal strength even though my array is just sitting on the living room floor.

Just to continue the story... I read on another webe that that you could connect two UHF antennas with just jumper wires between the thumbscrew antenna connectors as long as you connected left thumbscrew with left thumbscrew and right with right and then just one balun for the output. I fiddled with solid 12 ga wire and then braided 12 ga and basically nothing worked and the second antenna was not helping the signal at all. It turns out that I had to put a balun on each antenna and then run the exact same length of RG6 to the diplexer (a splitter reversed) in order to make the system work properly and thus get signal from both of the antennas. I found that little item out by searching the internet afterwards and also by the school of hardnocks method.

Did I mention I put a foot through my ceiling as well? That really was nasty but a story for another day!

Next step, the ATSC tuner. It had better be good.

#4 ·
Where to buy Channel Master or Winegard Preamps in Canada?

Hi everyone,

I want to pick up a decent preamp for my OTA antenna. I tried one of the Radio Shack ones for the hell of it but it's a POS - barely makes any difference whatsoever. From what I've read the Channel Master Titan 7777 and the Winegard AP 8275 are good choices.

Does anyone know any good Canadian sources for either these, either online or in the GTA?

Thanks,
Jason

#6 ·
It could make a difference, in your area, if you get a UHF only pre amp connected to a UHF only external antenna (such as a "Flying Arrow" design).

As Johnny G states - be careful (with gain) as you are "looking" for weak signals thru some very strong UHF analog signals on the CN Tower.

#7 ·
stampeder said:
Why do we always seem to have to go to U.S. dealers for the stuff we want? Why does almost everything we want have to be ordered on Ebay or U.S. web sites when personal, local service here in Canada would be appreciated?

Please reply here if you know of dealers in Canada who carry the Wade-Delhi, Channel Master, or Winegard lines of premium consumer-grade antennas, preamps, and other related equipment. Other brands are okay to know about too, but lets leave out the basic rabbit ears and gimmicky stuff for now. If anyone comes across OTA receivers for sale by dealers in Canada please reply here as well.

A distributor is Trenton Distributors, but they sell to dealers:

http://www.trentondistributors.com

cheers,
stampeder
Hi Stampeder, excellent idea for a thread.

I sent an email to Winegard last September about Canadian dealer and this was their reply:

To:
Cc: <....@winegard.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 4:46 PM
Subject: Re: Winegard distributors in Toronto, Canada

Hello ........:

You will want the HD7084P VHF/UHF antenna to receive HDTV from Buffalo with
an
AP-8700 preamp. A larger solution that can pull in more signal is the
HD8200P
with AP-8700, but that model is not UPS shippable.

Unfortunately we do not have distributors in Toronto. The closest dealer to
you
is:

Standard Electronics
215 John Glenn Dr
Amherst, NY 14228
Phone: 716-691-3371
Fax: 716-691-3170

#8 ·
weblurker said:
You will want the HD7084P VHF/UHF antenna to receive HDTV from Buffalo with an AP-8700 preamp.
Why would they recommend a UHF/VHF monster of an antenna when all you need is a UHF antenna? I guess they think you want just analog TV signals.?.. not HDTV. Since all the HD stations are on UHF in our area all you need is a 9032 and that’s allot smaller and easier to install then a monster 7084 or 8200!
Plus a UHF only antenna will have better gain.. And the 9032 has the highest gain being 16dB on channel 32 which is right where we want it being all the Buffalo HD stations are in the 30's.

Here is a page depicting the Winegard line of antennas.

http://www.abletronics.com/winegardant/winegard.html

The 8200 monster

and the amazing 9032 babe!

#9 ·
GTA Dealers of OTA Equipment

Here's something I found in the past when I was looking for a CM4228. This was posted initially on AVSFORUM by Daredevil23. I started at the top of the list and work my way down until I found a dealer that carried the 4228 and had it in stock. I ended up getting mine from one of the listed dealers that initially got their product from Trenton Distribution.

A MacDonald Antenna Tower Service 1394 Dufferin St Toronto
Alpine Installation Service Ltd 1345 Morningside Ave Scarborough
Hosick Television Co 1844 Jane St York
Ron's Television Service 1360 Queen St E Toronto
Sal's TV & Radio Sales & Service 6525 Kingston Rd Scarborough
Student Antenna Removal 40 Stonegate Rd Etobicoke
Y2K Satellite Solutions 1394 Dufferin St Toronto

As well I found neutron electronics of Guelph, Ont has a on-line site where you can make queries on various electronics part including OTA product. Phone numbers etc are also available from their contact page

#10 ·
Ottawa

I can buy the Channel Master 4228 from a distributor here in Connecticut for about $42.00US. If there is enough interest in getting a few of them over the border, I may throw some in the back of the station wagon and bring them to Ottawa: even by paying the duty, PST and GST on them, they will be significantly cheaper than the $120.00 that I have seen quoted for them. PM me and let me know if there is any interest...I figure that they should land for around $75.00 to $80.00 CDN at the current exchange rate...

#11 ·
weblurker said:
Which Toronto dealer did you end up buying the CM4228 from and how much did it cost?
If I lived near Ottawa and I wasn't so anxious. I'd have take TigerBangs up on his offer.

However I picked mine up from Hosick on Jane St. for $119 as they had one in stock and it was within a close driving distance for me. Originally they wanted $149, but I quoted them the neutron electronics of $110. FYI their location is not the easiest to find off Jane. I had to circle around the block once I passed it.

The following are other sources I tried:

Andrews Antenna in Unbridge and they carried the CM4228 for $120. They do installations as well.

Based on a search of dealers from the Channel Master site, I found a list of Ontario distributors which included Barret Xplore, Neutron Electronics, Trenton Distributors, and Western Equipment Limited (of Chatham)

When I called Barret they said they didn't carry the Channel Master 4228, but they referred me to V&E Antenna and suggested I speak to Eric. Eric said he could get the antenna from his Distributor if required. They also do installations as well.

Nutech Electronics out of Hamilton and St.Catherines also carries the Delhi 4 and 8 Bow tie antennas 1-800-263-8620

As well I found a wider geographical listing of dealers from Wade-Antenna's web site of dealers across Canada that carried the Delhi antenna and I would guess other OTA products as they listed a few of the same dealers noted above.

As for my results with the CM4228.......SUPER. I have a rotator on as well, but for the most part I could done without it from Brampton. As the weather gets better, I hope to get a little more height on the antenna, as I am just barely clearing my roof line.

#15 ·
I had an email from Trenton Distributing this morning, they mentioned they had the CM4228 in stock and gave me the name of a local Home Hardware store in the Waterford area where I could order it.
I had already ordered it from a local antenna installer.

#16 ·
I went to a local RS store in mid town Toronto, and wanted to buy some resistors and trimmers. The shop is almost empty, and the sales guys said they are in the process of restocking with TheSource stuff in a week or two.

Where do I go to buy electroinc parts such as resistors, trimmers and heat shrink tubing, close to mid town or dt t.o.? Electro Sonic is far out in Markham or North York. Any suggestions?

#17 ·
e268 said:
I went to a local RS store in mid town Toronto, and wanted to buy some resistors and trimmers. The shop is almost empty, and the sales guys said they are in the process of restocking with TheSource stuff in a week or two.

Where do I go to buy electroinc parts such as resistors, trimmers and heat shrink tubing, close to mid town or dt t.o.? Electro Sonic is far out in Markham or North York. Any suggestions?
RS was always way overpriced for this stuff anyway.

How about Active Surplus on Queen St. West? Suprematronic (sp?) is a few doors away too.

Gary

#18 ·
Thanks. I have forgotten Active Surplus. Hope I can find what I need there. I am trying to mod my PSU to give me more voltage for my Mushkin Blue memory.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
tricky said:
I know I can look in the yellow pages, but does anyone have any preferences when they're purchasing their antenna needs in the West of Toronto and Hamilton area.
I object to purchasing over the net, ending up paying as much for shipping as for the object you purchased besides I am retired and have the time to browse around stores and talk to people.
I thought i should put in a good word for the place i bought my Channelmaster antenna.

HOSICK Television
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194131&postcount=6

Lou was very helpfull and talked me into the 8 bay. They carry different models and hardware.

#20 ·
Looking for a local OTA equipment dealer?

Are you trying to find a local OTA equipment dealer but your area is not shown in this thread? Here are some starting points for finding dealers:

Winegard
http://www.winegard.com

Wade Antenna
http://www.wade-antenna.com

Channel Master
http://www.channelmaster.com

And don't forget Trenton Distributors listed earlier in this thread. Also bear in mind that some OTA equipment dealers may not be store-front businesses but rather installers who can also sell you equipment.

#21 ·
Where have all the antennae dealers and installers gone?

Where have all the antennae dealers and installers gone from the Niagara region and Hamilton?

The ones listed in the phone book never return calls. I've got money to spend on getting an antennae professionally installed. It's as if they have way to much business to handle. :confused:

#22 ·
Simcoe ON

da_jonesy said:
Where have all the antennae dealers and installers gone from the Niagara region and Hamilton?

The ones listed in the phone book never return calls. I've got money to spend on getting an antennae professionally installed. It's as if they have way to much business to handle. :confused:

This guy is from Simcoe so I don't know if he will service your area, I know he is busy and told me a lot of his business is installing OTA antenna's. He does BEV, STAR etc including Wireless Internet for a local serever.

http://www.donsat.com/

#24 ·
A1 Components

www.a1components.com sells the 4228 for US$39. I sent them an email asking about shipping to Canada and they said they do ship here. I think the cost was US$22 and they'd ship by US Post. That might be significant because, IIRC, UPS charges a $30 or $40 customs brokerage fee but the Canada Customs fee is only $5.

I've never bought from A1 Components though. If you do try them, you might post the results here.

#26 ·
DTVGear

Last year I bought a CM4228 for $38US and a Winegard AP8275 for $41US from DTVGear and learned the hard way about using UPS Ground delivery.

By the time all the duties and S&H fees were added I was in for $182.90 Canadian! I rerouted the order through my company's customs broker and still paid about $120 when all was said and done. I wish I had known about Mr. 4DTV_HD back then!!! :)