Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

ZyXEL VSG-1432

33K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Teletwanger 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with this modem? Is it reliable? Can it be easily bridged to my own wireless router (a D-link DIR-655)? How does it compare to the Actiontech which everyone seems to hate?

I have High Speed Turbo. (10.0 to 15.0 Mbps). My SpeedTouch modem worked brilliantly when bridged to my D-link DIR-655) But it died and is no longer offered by Telus. I have no intention of using the Telus routers functions. I just need a dumb modem.

Telus Modem/Routers

#2 ·
I just got Telus service.
The technician set me up with the ZyXEL VSG1432.

From various searching on the internet over the last few days, it looks like the ZyXEL unit is bridgeable.
From my status screen:

Host Name: TELUS
Model Number: VSG1432
Firmware Version: 1.10(VFA.0)b7

Recently I hit pay dirt. I will not post the login detail, but here is a blog which will nicely discuss that topic.

http://telusinternet.blogspot.ca/2012/10/using-your-own-router-in-tandem-with.html

The power user login mentioned on this site for the ActionTec V1000H also works for the ZyXEL VSG1432 and allowed me to view more features ;-)

I have three WAN interfaces and each can be set to bridge mode:

ADSL_DEFAULT_0_33 ATM
ADSL_DEFAULT_8_35 ATM
VDSL_DEFAULT PTM

I haven't set these three WAN interfaces to bridge mode yet, but will likely do so since I wish to retain full control of routing/switching/filtering with my DLINK DIR 655.

#5 ·
How to use your own router with TELUS’s ZyXEL VSG1432 Internet Gateway

1. Download the ZyXEL user manual in advance if possible. You might find it to be a useful reference for configuring the gateway. However, it’s no problem if you can’t do that in advance. Just follow the instructions below and you can download it later from http://telus.com/content/help/common/pdf/ZyXEL_User_Manual.pdf.
2. Connect your PC to one of the ZyXEL’s four LAN ports using the supplied Ethernet cable. Also connect the phone line and power adapter. Green lights light up on the gateway once you plug in the power adapter.
3. Launch your Web browser and enter 192.168.1.254 in the URL (address) window.
4. TELUS’s ZyXEL overview screen will be displayed in your browser. Login into the ZyXEL by entering “tech” in the Username field and “t3lu5tv” in the Password field. Logging in as tech offers you some options that the normal user “admin” can’t see.
5. Mouse over Wireless and click on the tab. Disable the wireless function.
6. Mouse over the Network Settings tab and select Broadband. A list of the WAN interfaces will be displayed. Under the list, a Change to Bridge Mode option allows you to convert the listed WAN interfaces to bridge mode. Select the ADSL_DEFAULT_0_33 WAN interface and click on the Change to Bridge Mode button.
7. Now select the Home Networking section under the Network Settings tab and disable DHCP Server State.
8. Mouse over to Security Settings and select Firewall. If you’re using your router as the firewall (and why wouldn’t you), then set the ZyXEL’s firewall to Low.
9. Logout.
10. Log back in as “admin” using the password “telus.” Change your admin password to something less obvious but something you’ll remember.
11. Unplug the Ethernet cable from your PC and plug it into the WAN port on your router. Connect an Ethernet cable from one of your router’s LAN ports to your PC.
12. Configure your router (if you haven’t already) according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
13. You should now have your router working with the ZyXEL as if the ZyXEL was only a modem.
14. If you ever want to access the ZyXEL again to change configuration, you’ll need to set the IP address of your PC to 192.168.1.XX (where XX is any number from 1 to 253) because you disabled DHCP on the ZyXEL. Also, you will need to connect directly to the ZyXEL because you won’t be able to reach it through your router.

#6 ·
@OpenBSD - great instructions, thanks!

I have Telus 25 and until today had an ALU modem which worked well with my own router and network setup. The ALU suddenly died last night :(

For a while I had the Actiontech (ack!) which I had trouble figuring out if it could easily be put in bridge mode. It was a quite an adventure tracking an ALU down but last year I was able to get one from Telus even though it was no longer supported even back then.

so I was nervous when CS told me last night they would have to replace the ALU with the VSG1432 which I knew nothing about. Then I found this thread. I picked up the replacement Zyxcel this morning from a Telus store and within a few minutes of setting up using these instructions I was up and running just like before, using my own existing router and wifi network - I'm happy I'm not forced to use the Actiontech. Hopefully the Zyxcel is a reliable unit

thanks again

#7 · (Edited)
Does anyone know the current id and password to access the broadband selection under Network Settings in order to put the Zyxel into bridge mode?

The id/password shown in post #5 does not work for me.

Given that my D-link 300G still works and I live in an area that only gets the Telus 1 connection rate, the Zyxel will be going back in its box and sit on a shelf to gather dust if I can't make it work as a modem only.

Just talked to Telus support. While the agent tried his best the only id/password options he could offer were the ones in post #5 and the root password found in the link in post #2. Neither of them work for me as I get the error message saying id or password is incorrect.

Never mind, I figured it out thanks to rereading the link in post #2.
I pushed the factory reset on the back of the Zyxel and this allowed the id/password to work

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Pushing the factory reset on back of modem helped, thanks for that info!

I do have something to add:

It seems that when I could log after I reset using the btn on back, this would not last long, as something would change the "tech" password to something unknown. After I logged in, I got logged off after a few minutes and the password was different.

I was able to overcome this by quickly uploading my backed up configuration of bridged mode.

#9 ·
The ZYXEL VSG1432 is a great modem/router. I have had one for about a year since my crappy Siemens Gigaset went south. I do not bridge this modem as I find it meets my needs just fine without a separate router. No issues at all and so simple to set up even for a non techy like me. Highly recommended and as you get it as a free rental what is not to like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.