Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

CBC's Camelot

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  reidw 
#1 ·
Jamie Campbell Bower stars in CAMELOT beginning Tuesday, September 13 at 9 p.m. ET (9:30 NT) when CAMELOT premieres on CBC Television.

Bower stars as King Arthur, the previously unknown heir to the English throne raised as a commoner and crowned king by the sorcerer Merlin. The handsome, carefree young man is challenged at every turn as he tries to save his kingdom from tyranny, greed and despair.

CAMELOT also stars Canada’s Peter Mooney as Arthur’s brother, Kay, with Lara Jean Chorostecki as Bridget, Guinevere’s trusted aid. Other stars include: Joseph Fiennes as Merlin, Eva Green as Morgan, Tamsin Egerton as Guinevere, Claire Forlani as Igraine, Philip Winchester as Leontes and Clive Standen as Gawain.

CAMELOT is a Canada-Ireland co-production from the producers of The Tudors

#3 ·
Yeah, I'm a little confused by that. In the promotion I've seen, they avoid mention of the fact that the show's been cancelled in the US and don't mention anything beyond the first season. The angle one article talked about was the fact that Canada seems like a better home for these pseudo-historical dramas and that this would feel at home here, but doesn't mention if it would go beyond a first season.

#4 ·
I did read somewhere that they are in negotiations for a second season- Joseph Fiennes (Merlin) is out though.

I really hope it gets renewed- the production value and episodic structure worked really well.

I saw this show on Starz- I wonder if it will be edited for nudity and sexual situations by CBC- ?

Phillip Winchester is currently starring in HBO's Strke Back- another well produced show!

#5 ·
The second season was not so much cancelled as just not ordered. From Wikipedia:
A special preview showing of the pilot episode "Homecoming" was aired on Starz Friday night, February 25, 2011.[4] On June 30, 2011 Starz announced it was not going to order new seasons of Camelot, citing significant production challenges, predominantly scheduling conflicts with some members of the cast, including Joseph Fiennes, Jamie Campbell Bower and Eva Green.
I have not heard anything since then.

Personally, I have seen a bit of it, and find it much weaker than Game Of Thrones. Having two such shows at the same time can be a death knell for one of them - the public (really the advertisers) can only put up with so much of a given genre at one time, until the genre proves it can attract viewers across multiple shows, rather than splintering the viewing public.

#7 ·
I've been PVR-ing the eps from CBC but haven't watched any yet - not that I don't want to, but I've just had too much else to watch!

Based on clips I've seen and feedback here and elsewhere, my hopes aren't too high, but that's probably good. I usually love historical and mythology-historical stuff like this one so I'll definitely get around to watching it eventually, and will report back then.

#8 ·
@juliedawn: You may not find it as dreadful as you might fear. If you can accept that Merlin looks like a character out of a mad-Max movie, Camelot is not bad a series. Think of it as a reboot of a very classic franchise. Or perhaps Camelot as presented in an alternate timeline. As long as you can accept the "new mythology" that it presents, it can be quite engrossing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.