Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

home movie software

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Xanthor 
#1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on video editing software. I've been using Windows Movie Maker and the amount of time it takes to get a video captured from my camera, the corresponding wmv file to be created, the actual editing time (which isn't bad, really) and then the time to convert the edited file to a finished movie file is really discouraging me from working on any home movies. For example, today I had a 28 minute movie to save to the computer. It took 28 minutes to capture the movie, then 60 minutes to convert that to a wmv file for editing, about 2 minutes for me to chop the unwanted bits out, and another 67 minutes to save the finished product to another wmv file. Answers consisting of "use a mac" aren't going to be helpful, I'm not changing my computer, just hoping to find better software. It could be my computer is getting old, or the video camera is old and requires more time to convert the files (it uses mini dv tapes and a firewire connection), but I'm hoping there's just better software out there.

Thanks!

#4 ·
New software is not going to make this job go any faster. The bottleneck here is the computer. You said it yourself, it took two minutes to chop out the unwanted bits so the rest of the time is processing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.