Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Vancouver High Speed Turbo 25 Availability

3K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Knowthenazz 
#1 ·
Hi,

I live in Vancouver, near Oakridge, and I currently do not have High Speed Turbo 25 available in my area.

I’m was just wondering if anyone has an idea of how quickly they are upgrading the Vancouver area to support Turbo 25.

Thanks!

#2 ·
From what I can tell, very slowly, if at all... :(

I'd like to know the answer to this too, I've been asking Telus periodically since last summer but they can't say when or even *IF* Turbo 25 is coming to my area (not far west of Oakridge)

Very frustrating

#3 ·
Hi,

I have a funny suspicion that we probably live in the same area.

I did some testing, and I've found that all residences in my area (I tested several dozen), which seems to be bound by major streets, do not have Turbo 25 availability yet.

However, if you go one block beyond the those major streets, there is always availability.

I also think I've isolated the 2 future DSLAM locations in my area as well, so I've been going out of my way when I drive/ride home to see if there has been any new installations there (assuming they have to install a new cabinet when they finally do install the DSLAMs).

I do think that it will coming in this area. I suspect that a lot of people in this area are asking for it and would be willing to pay a little extra for more speed. However, considering all the surrounding areas already has availability, its possible that there are some technical hurdles that they have to get past first.

But I did find out some good news the last time I chatted with the Telus rep. In order to compete with the other ISPs, Telus is currently testing 50 mbps in Calgary.

#4 ·
I did some testing, and I've found that all residences in my area (I tested several dozen), which seems to be bound by major streets, do not have Turbo 25 availability yet.

However, if you go one block beyond the those major streets, there is always availability.
Interesting observation, and clever idea - I hadn't thought of checking like that... indeed I now see via Telus website that someone I know just north of me a few blocks past a major street has Turbo25 availability. I'm guessing now if I were to check others just S,E,W of me I'd find I'm in a black hole of sorts...

I for one am willing to pay to get higher speeds, in particular get faster upload (need it for Slingbox), but only way to get it with Telus is T25 and they can't offer it to me. Meanwhile I've been testing 50Mb down/2.5Mb up on Shaw, and they have many other even higher speed offerings in my area. but for various reasons I'd rather go with Telus, if only they'd upgrade my area. or at least give some timeline of when or even *IF* they ever will (they won't even give any hints of "if" it is coming)

an insider friend couldn't give me any details but basically said it depends on demand. not sure how Telus decides there is demand in a given area...
Will have to keep an eye out for those potential future DSLAM locations you spotted! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.