Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why Futureshop and Microsoft lost a $350 sales today

7K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  hugh 
#1 ·
I was in Futureshop today. I decided to buy Office 2010 professional edition which comes with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote, and Word.

Total Price $348 plus taxes.

Grabbed the box and went to the cashier. Cashier then said I had to go over to what was the returns counter. Then some other women walked by me, stuck out her hand indicating I was supposed to give her the box and then she walked away. She never said a word or said where she was going.

A minute later, another women came out and asked if I had been served. I said I wanted Office 2010 software and explained I was trying to buy it and was sent over here and then some lady took the box and walked away.

She said "okay, I guess she has gone to the back to get it" and then she walked away.

At that point I was standing there feeling rather silly wondering why I was not at the cashier and someone was not processing my order and wondering why I had to guess as to what was being done.

After standing another 30 seconds, I said screw it and walked out.

I figure if people can't even speak to me and explain why I am not being serviced then I can live without Office 2010.

I'll wait for it to go onsale and buy it from Wal-mart or another store that wants my business or just buy Outlook 2010 since I can live with Office 2007.

See less See more
#29 ·
After doing some research...this is my understanding of the "official" unofficial results on purchasing of Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Business English DVD 32/64BIT Retail Box in Canada.

Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Business includes a single user, 2 computer license. (for example, can be installed on both a desktop and notebook PC).

Now...my understanding of this is that it differs from the Home and Student version in this way...it is a "Single-User" license.

Yes you can install it on your desktop and laptop...but if you are using one, you are not supposed to be using the other at the same time...hence the "Single-User: license.

Now Microsoft would never know...I'm just sayin'...

The Home and Student version (the one without Outlook) lets you install it on 3 machines (as long as it's not used in any commercial, nonprofit or revenue generating business activities, or by any government organisation) and can be used at the same time (typical home scenario).

#30 ·
dm_4u, I went back and reviewed. The "Microsoft Guru" that was at Best Buy (at least that was what his nifty black shirt with white lettering) was totally inaccurate in what he told me.

Truth is

Office Home and Student 2010 - can put on three computers
Office Professional 2010 - one licence but can put on one plus mobile laptop
Outlook 2010 - one licence

The Guru totally misled me by saying I could install Office Professional 2010 on 3 pc's too.

After learning the licensing restrictions, I will stick with Office 2007 and Outlook 2003

#32 ·
If you want to be technical, Technet licenses aren't meant for production-use systems - including home PCs (it's more for businesses to evaluate Microsoft products). In truth, it's not a whole lot different than pirating the software, except you can legitimately activate it.

Does that stop a lot of home users who end up getting a Technet subscription? Probably not.. but that's up to the individual to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.