Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV 6131 and 9241 Receivers Coming

197K views 312 replies 100 participants last post by  dirtroad 
#1 ·
$199 and $499 respectively mid-January due to launch of new line of receivers...
The 6131 HD receiver is a high-definition (HD), single-tuner, single-TV satellite receiver that supports MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 compression technology. Included is “PVR Ready” which allows the connection of an external hard drive creating Personal Video Recorder (PVR) capability.

The 9241 HD PVR receiver offers a dual-tuner, single TV, high-definition satellite receiver and integrated PVR, capable of recording two live programs while watching a pre-recorded one.

#295 ·
I looked and I couldn't find..

I don't know what this feature is called..

The one where you're viewing a show "live" and it's self-records what you're watching, then you hit pause or rewind to rewatch something then click Live View to get back to viewing the show "live".

Whatever that's called.. the 6131 with an External Hard Drive will permit me to do that?

Thanks.

#299 ·
I've just acquired a 6131 on the basis that it will allow an EHD to be plugged in to give it a very useful recording and play-back capability. A very powerful selling point as far as I was concerned. So I was a little disconcerted to find that this capability is not even mentioned in the handbbook. Does anyone know of source of information on this subject? (beside this Forum, which is always a good place to go for answers)
Harryw

#300 ·
harryw, I noticed this as well. The manual is out of date. If you look in the Satellite Receiver chapter, you will find that the 'Menu display' screen example in the manual does not have PVR in it. Also, when the manual describes the rear panel of the unit, it states the USB port is for connecting external devices 'at a later date'.
My guess is that they enabled this feature without updating the manual. As you know though, it does work as long as you have a compatible EHD.

#302 ·
I have some questions about the 9241 PVR at the risk of unleashing the Wrath of The Gods because I didn't find my questions answered by using Search.

I'm considering going from my current 9200 PVR to a 9241 only because I can connect an external hard drive and gain more storage capacity as we have just got a HD television for the 1st time.

I'm getting conflicting answers from Bell Live Chat and from my local Staples store.

Q1 - If I have an external hard drive connected, can I still record two programs simultaneously while watching a pre-recorded one. Bell says yes, Staples says no.

Q2 - Am I able to selectively place something on the external hard drive? My fear is that the PVR crashes and I lose something important when they send me a replacement if the stuff is on the internal drive.

Q3 - What decides what gets recorded on the 9241 internal hard drive versus the remote one? Does the internal drive fill and then the next stuff get overflowed into the remote drive or is it menu driven?

#306 ·
Since I asked my questions above I got a 9241 PVR installed (in place of my 9200) two weeks ago and a Western Digital MyBook Essential 1TB HD from Staples ($99). It works perfectly. From my findings neither Bell, Staples or the installer had all the right answers. Some of them were totally conflicting. Even the installer had never hooked up (or had even seen) an external HD and as the on-screen programing took overnight to sort itself out (he told us to leave it turned on all night) he didn't get to see it in operation. Now I'm more knowledgable than any of them.

Thanks Peano - your info was correct.

I fed the findings to my daughter who then bought a 1.5TB Western Digital from BestBuy ($110), hooked it to her 9242 and hers works perfectly too.

#310 ·
Sorry, I misread the question.

In that case the answer is No.

The 9241, archives recordings, the 6131 Records to the EHD.

Moving the Drive will most likely result in the 6131 asking to reformat.

#311 ·
Cairn, the only suggestion I can make if you want to replace the EHD on your 9241 with a larger one and save your recordings, you will have to transfer your recordings to your 9241 and than back to your new hard drive. Than you can use the old hard drive on your 6131 and it should reformat for that receiver.

Another solution would be to just connect your 9241 to the second TV that has the 6131 via HDMI or component.

#313 ·
The 9242 and 9241 are closely related. The 9242 in my opinion is better because it has

1. a Digital OTA with PVR capabilities
  2. PIP
  3. RF Output on two user selectable channels
  4. Can be used like two separate receivers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.