Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Canadian network speeds faster than U.S.: PC Magazine

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  brownstar 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I wonder if this is in part because the US Carriers are apparently letting their copper networks fall into a bad state of disrepair, and slowing or halting new deployments.

I sometimes look for new articles on the supposed impending death of the landline phone, and one article said that one place in New York hasn't had landline phone since Hurricane Sandy, and that the telco won't rebuild it either. They tried pawning off a wireless home phone device with a lot of backlash, and ended up agreeing to roll out fiber to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

#3 ·
^^^^
Sandy caused a lot of damage that may not yet be fully repaired, but I don't think that's the issue here. Traditional phones have been on the way out for a long time here and elsewhere. Many people have never had a POTS phone, going straight to cell.

#9 ·
The article referenced by the OP refers to speeds on cell phone networks not residential broadband services. From my own experience Canada definitely offers some of the most reliable and fastest mobile data services compared to our counterparts in the US and in many other parts of the world. I guess that is our consolation prize for having above average pricing.

#10 ·
My bad, although its in the same vein.

Comparing Canadian cellphone with the UK:

My Canadian plan:
Rogers
Samsung S3
LTE
6GB data
unlimited nationwide txt & talk
call forwarding
Rogers One Number
plus a few other things
$88/month

UK Example:
Vodafone - the biggest UK carrier
Samsung S4
8GB but only 3G - states 4G ready for when they role out the network
unlimited UK talk & text
$87.72/month

So about the same cost but with slower speeds

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.