Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

nintendo Wii to HDTV through hometheatre's HDMI?

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
I have a 24 in. computer monitor which has a HDMI port to it. I would like to be able to hook my Nintendo Wii to the monitor to play games. However, since the Wii gives out only the component signal, I was wondering if I could use once of the below given Hometheatre systems to plug in the Wii signal and get the HDMI out to connect to my monitor?

Any cheaper suggestions are appreciated (I did look at the component to HDMI converters but reviews say that the signal conversion is not good and Wii does not suggest this method).

Sony

Yamaha

Onkyo

#2 ·
The AVRs that transcode the signals would certainly work. The DVD recorder only accepts 480i and doesn't have component video inputs, so you could simply connect the composite video cable from the Wii directly to the monitor if it has a composite in or to another device that has composite inputs and transcodes to HDMI.

You don't state the make/model of your monitor or what other equipment you have (makes & models) - that list could be helpful.

#3 ·
I use a Samsung P2570 monitor (which takes HDMI, computer VGA and DVI). I do not have any kind of HDTV so there is no place where I can hook up the component that comes out of Wii. The Sony AVR does have component inputs in the back (or am I missing something?).

I am looking for a cheap way of getting Wii onto my monitor.

#4 ·
1. Your Sony link is to a DVD Recorder, not an AVR.

2. Be aware that just because something has an input, it may not transcode that signal to the HDMI output. See the following post on AVR features.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76082

3. The monitor doesn't appear to have a composite input according to the specs I saw, so that option is not available.

4. What I've done for some people that have the SA8300HD is to connect the Wii via composite (and analogue audio) to the front of the SA8300HD (Aux input) and leave the SA8300HD connected to the HDTV (monitor), or AVR via HDMI.

I would not consider an AVR to be an "inexpensive" option, unless you're considering an AVR anyway, but make sure you get one that transcodes because a lot of them do not.

See the following post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.