Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw to open New Retail Stores

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Brent McKee 
#1 ·
http://shaw.ca/store/

Found this today and someone sent me a promo video that I will put up on youtube.

Edit: Link to the promo: (removed at the request of Shaw.)
Stores to open May 1st.

#3 ·
Video link removed by request

Wow, that was fast. If nothing else it proves that Shaw is watching this forum and closely. I just received a phone call (yes, Shaw knows who I am and how to get hold of me and always have, I'm not hiding from them) and was asked to remove the link to that video as it was meant as an internal 'employees only' production.

I was told they are planning on releasing a 'consumer oriented' video in a few weeks and they would be happy to share that with me when it is ready for release. I realize I am sort of a puppet here and either way it's 'free advertising' for Shaw on this but it is also of interest to readers here so that's why I decided to post it and start this thread even.

Depending on how the 'commercial' looks and what it has in it, I may just say it can be found on their site but it might be worthy of posting so I won't rule that out.

#5 ·
Thanks for confirming Shaw got what they asked for. They agreed that it didn't contain anything of 'corporate secret' type info but it was never intended for public viewing. It basically was a CGI creation of what the new stores should look like and the different areas in the stores with the different forms of technology and how they use and present them. Once the stores are open, everyone will be able to see it for themselves. Sure, if you happen to live near where they are opening that is.

#10 ·
^ From my understanding and experience those are not "full" retail stores in a traditional sense. In Edmonton for example you really can't go in to a Telus or Bell store and pay your TV bill / pay & pick up a digital box/receiver/modem or book a in home call for anything other than installation for a new customer etc. They are just generally outlets to sell.

#13 ·
I'd say it was about time if they were actually opening something near me.

Until a couple of years ago Shaw had a small storefront operation in the Midtown Plaza in Saskatoon. You could pay your bills, pick up information, arrange appointments with a real live human being face to face. They even had some equipment available right there. They shut it down. Now if you need to get something (like a replacement remote, or a new cable modem to replace the one than just died) you have to go to their offices in an industrial park out by the airport.

People value convenience. If you can pick up or drop off what you need in a convenient location, and deal with real people who might even know what they're talking about (a stretch I know but...) I'd argue that that is better than dealing with someone over the phone who might not be in your city, or having to travel to the back of beyond to pick up something that you absolutely need and absolutely cannot get in a place like Future Shop or Best Buy.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.