Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Sony PlayStation 4 Discussion Thread (Launch Date: Holiday 2013)

46K views 271 replies 29 participants last post by  dezzpayne 
#1 ·
On Wednesday February 20th 2013 Sony announced the details of their newest system PlayStation 4 at a New York Event, here are the details

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-release-date-news-and-features-937822
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/02/...tation-4-processing-specs-dualshock-4-and-eye

PS4: Hardware specs

Sony has confirmed that the PlayStation 4 will be powered by a custom 8-core AMD "Jaguar" x86-64 with integrated graphics APU and "next-generation" AMD Radeon graphics processor capable of driving 1.84 teraflops. As detailed at the event, it will come paired with 8GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory, making it competitive with most gaming-focused PCs on the market. As expected, the system will ship with a Blu-ray drive, built-in 80.211 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1, as well as HDMI, Analog-AV, and optical digital output. Sony is giving I/O options a boost with the inclusion of USB 3.0 ports and a mysteriously vague "AUX" port. Each system will ship a "Mono Headset" for cross-game chat and other social features.

PlayStation 4 Eye

What's really grabbing though is the development of the PlayStation 4 Eye, a newly developed camera system that utilizes two high-sensitivity camera equipped with wide-angle lenses and 85-degree diagonal angle views.

Sony said the cameras (amounting to 1280 x 800 pixels) can cut out the image of a player from the background or differentiate between players in the background and foreground, enhancing game play handily. There's also mention of logging in using facial recognition and using voice and body movements to play games "more intuitively."

PS4 controller: DualShock 4

The PS4 controller comes in the form of the DualShock 4 pad. Very much a classic design, the DualShock 4 nevertheless offers upgraded vibrations, enhanced motion sensors and a Vita-like touchpad on the front.

Backwards compatibility

The PS4 will definitely not offer native support for PS3 games. However, there will at some point be a service on the Sony Entertainment Network that offers server-side emulation and streaming of games from PS One classics right through to PS3 Platinum Editions.

PlayStation Move

Sony has confirmed that PlayStation Move will play a big part in the PS4 ecosystem. However, it has not yet been revealed whether the PS4 will launch alongside a new PS Eye camera and new Move controllers or whether the peripherals are staying the same with all the enhancements made console-side.

Synergy with PlayStation Vita

Sony has revealed that the PS4 will launch with the ability to stream games directly to your PS Vita. In exactly the same way as the Wii U allows you to switch off your TV and continue playing on the tablet controller, the PS4 will wirelessly send your games to the Vita.

There will be similar synergy between "all Sony devices" which means Xperia handsets and tablets, Bravia TVs and BD players.

Sony hinted that there will be more announcements in this area, too. We think the obvious next reveal in this area is the ability to play PS4 games on your Vita from any location using a wireless connection.

PS4 Instant On

The PS4 will be one nippy device if Sony is to be believed. It will have an instant on/off feature allowing your to shut down during a game and then boot up from scratch in seconds and resume where you left off. The days of waiting 60 seconds as your console loads up are about to end.

PS4 price: how much will it cost?

No pricing details were revealed at the event, so all we've got to go on are various rumours from before the launch - but it might be that Sony has a price point of around $400 in mind for the US release. That translates to around £255 so you could extrapolate that to around £299.

This is further backed up by a recent report in The Times which states that Sony is aiming for a price of under £300 in the U.K. Many people think it'll be more than that though - we'll just have to wait and see.

Sony confirmed on Wednesday that it will launch the new console ahead of the holidays this year.

See less See more
#158 ·
Renting Games

Or even selling used games.

Interesting. Sony (after emphasizing the freedom of PS4 owners) seems to have clawed some of that back. Let's have a look at the PS4 terms-of-use statement:

6.3. You must not lease, rent, sublicense, publish, modify, adapt, or translate any portion of the Software.

7.1. You must not resell either Disc-based Software or Software Downloads, unless expressly authorised by us and, if the publisher is another company, additionally by the publisher.
Wow, that's a rather different message from what their previous marketing would have you believe. Perhaps Sony's lawyers had different ideas.

#160 ·
Or even selling used games.

Interesting. Sony (after emphasizing the freedom of PS4 owners) seems to have clawed some of that back. Let's have a look at the PS4 terms-of-use statement:

Wow, that's a rather different message from what their previous marketing would have you believe. Perhaps Sony's lawyers had different ideas.
Oh so you mean it has the same 'restrictions' as most other disc based software, this is nothing new and the same/similar wording is part of the existing EULA.

#159 ·
Sony always said DRM would be in the hands of the developers and many developers are going to enforce DRM on this next gen. The reasoning was they couldn't afford to produce these huge high production value games and continue to sell them for a reasonable price if gamestop was making all the money reselling used games.

Xbox took it one step further and simply said all games would be like that so we had access to great features like no disc in the system to play. Play on another system using the cloud and a few other features that have now been pulled. Thanks to the complaining of a few people. I though it was hands down the greatest thing ever. Hopefully once things settle in, and people realize DRM is coming anyway Xbox brings back the previous features.

People didn't get that just cause Sony isn't going to force and internet connection to play a game, that doesn't mean when you buy a game there isn't going to be a big sticker on the front that says "internet connection required". With developers system it will likely be always, with xbox it was simply once every 24 hours.
But we really won`t know until this stuff hits the streets and settles in.

#161 ·
Sony has said publishers may enforce DRM on the PS4.
Regardless of what is in the EULA.
Even though PS and now Xbox both claim the system will not enforce DRM that doesn't mean the game won't.

#164 ·
brownstar said:
Oh so you mean it has the same 'restrictions' as most other disc based software, this is nothing new and the same/similar wording is part of the existing EULA.
Then how is the PS4 "used game friendly" if they're going to put those terms and conditions in the EULA?

The marketing department would have you believe they aren't there. In practise people don't follow a ELUA, but isn't this a bit of a black eye? What the marketing department of Sony giveth, the legal department taketh away?

#166 ·
In the same way the PS3 is used game friendly, the same/similar wording is the EULA yet you can easily purchase used games from legitimate suppliers.

Also consider that in Europe you cannot prevent an owner selling digitally downloaded & disc based games, it wouldn't make sense to restrict one market and not the other.

"Summer 2012 the European Court of Justice ruled that game publishers cannot stop European consumers from reselling their downloaded games. Not only that, but a publisher may have to facilitate such a transaction by allowing the recipient of the sale to download their “used” copy from its website."

#165 ·
Sorry i am late to the party.... please excuse me if i missed the discussion. But what are peoples feelings on the mandatory PS PLUS subscription if you plan to play multiplayer?

As a very casual game. I play from time to time, right around this time a year i get excited for a new COD release will play for a few months then put down the controler. 99% of my PS3 use is netflix now And streaming from my laptop..

So 50$ a year i am not so excited about. 10$/month or say 30$ for a few months of COD till i loose interest :)

When i first made the jump to PS3 instead of XBOX(going waaay back LOL) Bluray included and free online play was what swayed me to PS3..

#167 ·
I think free servers are not going to be maintained and upheld at the same standard a paid server would be.

I think Sony needs to make this move, especially since its branded itself as a a game console first and foremost. Gaming is online now. No way to avoid it.

Just sucks for the casual gamer now, as they don't have a choice for free online gaming, besides sticking to PS3

#168 ·
I disagree, the future of gaming is not online but more immersive game experiences such as the Last of Us. Yes they do have an online multiplayer element but this is more to prolong the life of the game and to generate DLC income. Personally I hate online gaming, its usually full of idiotic teenagers, much rather play a game like Uncharted or Mass Effect on my own. I do enjoy playing sports games with others but they make up a very small percentage of my gaming.

I had PS+ for a while, mainly for discounted games and an extended warranty but I only paid for it for 3 months.

#169 ·
I never said the future was online, online gaming is here now.
Personally I don't play with "idiotic teenages" I often play with my friends online,

GTA V is a great game, online is just another level, doing missions with a group of buddies is a blast. Forza, one of my favorite games by far, online is the only way to get a true challenge(I play hard with no assists). CoD, lets face it online multi player is a good part of the reason that game is as popular as it is.

Granted online isn't the be all end all of gaming, but certain games would not be the same without it. Online is already a huge part of gaming and its here to stay.

#170 ·
Wow, one of the best presentations (I hesitate to just call it a "review") that I've seen on the PS4 is over here: http://www.polygon.com/a/ps4-review/

It concludes with:

The PS4 hints at plenty of other possibilities. Local network play via the PS Vita has an enormous amount of potential. The PlayStation App and even the Playstation Camera may provide opportunities for developers to broaden the appeal of the PlayStation 4 beyond the hardcore audience it currently seems so intent on courting. Unlike the PlayStation 3, Sony's latest effort was built to evolve.

But the PlayStation 4's focus on gaming — and only gaming — is undermined by a distinct lack of compelling software. That failing is sure to improve — better games and more of them will appear on the PlayStation 4 — but right now, this is a game console without a game to recommend it. Early adopters of the PS4 this fall are buying potential energy. We're just waiting for a place to spend it.
So, they give the PS4 a 7.5/10. I hope their Xbox One review will be of the same quality.

#172 ·
Wow, one of the best presentations (I hesitate to just call it a "review") that I've seen on the PS4 is over here: http://www.polygon.com/a/ps4-review/

It concludes with:

So, they give the PS4 a 7.5/10. I hope their Xbox One review will be of the same quality.
Polygon are known to be Sony haters. Current popular opinion is they purposely give low scores for AAA titles to be nothing more than clickbait to drive advertising revenue.

That out of the way I have to agree with most of what was said. I'm disappointed in the reviews for Killzone and Knack which were the 2 I was most looking forward to as a day 1 purchase. Not sure what I'm going to pick up at this point. Might still buy Killzone just to say I have a game to play on my shiny new console, or possibly AC4 (never played any others in the series). Sadly the only PS4 games on the near horizon I look forward to are Infamous 2nd son, The Order 1886, Watchdogs and The Division. Looks as though PS3 and PC games are going to be my mainstay for the next few months.

http://www.lazygamer.net/ps3/polygons-review-has-caused-quite-a-stir/

http://www.spawnfirst.com/articles/polygons-bias-rears-ugly-head-killzone-shadow-fall/

http://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/1jg0sx/atlus_pr_manager_defends_polygons_dragons_crown/

#173 ·
dezzpayne said:
Polygon are known to be Sony haters. Current popular opinion is they purposely give low scores for AAA titles to be nothing more than clickbait to drive advertising revenue.
Reading through their content I don't get that sense. GTA V, which is the very definition of a AAA title, got a very high score.

Is there something specific about their PS4 review that you think was unfair?

Also, I think their web design is the best I've ever seen on a game review website.

#174 ·
i watched the video review..... Having not really followed the PS4 much i got enough from that review to not run out and line up for one... At least not at launch..

Game wise its an upgrade........... Multimedia wise a downgrade... I want the full package that the PS3 is/was/became

#175 ·
I though that sounded like a very fair review. I completely agree with what they said about the PS3. The controller, online and system architecture are well known problems. Not sure how telling the truth is hating on the PS3.

To me 15 min to download 300 MB is unreasonable. I downloaded 8 GB on Live in less than an hour the other day

#176 ·
Steve, you take 3-4 of your personal pain points with the PS3 and repeat them over...and over...and over ad nauseam. We get it, Live=Awesome, PSN=Garbage.

I personally have no issues with downloads from PSN though I only have a 15MB connection so I cap it, can't be faster than my cap.

As far as the review, I didn't go to the site myself and look, I refuse to be bite the bait. I did say though that the snipped Audacity pasted was perfectly fair. My one quibble is that the PS4 is ONLY about gaming, it's not, Sony did however make it the cornerstone of their efforts. The DLNA may be a dig deal to some but other than that it has most of the same multimedia features the PS3 had and more besides. XB1 went for a more balanced approach to gaming/multimedia features.

As far as bad reviews it's more of a PS exclusive hate hence why people say they hate Sony as opposed to...well everyone heh.

TLOU was a big one, check Metacritic. 98 reviewers, average score of 95% and Polygon scored it a 75. They thought Halo 4, Max Payne 3, Far Cry 3, Tomb Raider among dozens of others were "better" games. They have done it on a number of occasions. Taken the PS3's super big exclusive for any particular year and scored 15-20 points lower than anyone else and hey that's fine as long as you are generally lower than everyone else because you're a better critic because I think we can all agree, all the 95%+ scored games is bit of a joke. But they don't, they score the latest Halo/GTA/Gears in the 90's like everyone else but decide to take a hard line against particular games, usually a PS3 title.

Anyway, I think the same can be said for any new console. Very few in history have had an awesome lineup on day one. Sadly for PS4 their couple of launch exclusives are seemingly not that memorable. Shall see in a week if XB1 can do any better.

#178 ·
Steve, you take 3-4 of your personal pain points with the PS3 and repeat them over...and over...and over ad nauseam. We get it, Live=Awesome, PSN=Garbage.

I personally have no issues with downloads from PSN though I only have a 15MB connection so I cap it, can't be faster than my cap.
You accused the reviewer of being Sony haters, but all they said bad about Sony was the truth. I stated it was a fair review.
I just stated a few things that they posted that I have always agree'd with, funny that the "Sony hater" has the exact same complaints I've always had about the PS3. I love PS3 I think its a very useful console. Far better than Xbox at certain things. Online is not one of them.

I have issues with PSN downloads, to me they are too slow. I keep repeating cause its true, and others try to say it isn't, A professional reviewer just agreed with me. What can I say. I don't think Polygon came on here read what I posted and said, "hey that Steve604 guy has some good points, lets put them in our review."

#180 ·
I'm sure PSN will be way better once people start paying for it. I know even now it's not as bad as it was 2 or 3 years ago. I'm sure Sony has dumped a ton of money into servers in prep. for the PS4 launch. To me $5/month is well worth it for the download speed and network stability. I think the smartest thing Sony did was start bringing in revenue to support its network. Even better that they make gamers pay and offer Netflix service etc. at no charge. Bottom line is you get what you pay for in this world.

#184 ·
Awesome news about the PS4 let us know what you think of it.

As far as how the console companies spend their money, as a consumer, I could care less. All I care about is game content and seemingly more the integration components across the portfolio of technology offerings and how that enhances my use experience. If I was a shareholder the GTA IV DLC might have more of an impact.

#185 ·
dezzpayne said:
If I were a 360 owner that would piss me off. You could CREATE AN ENTIRE GAME FROM SCRATCH for that amount of money. Does no one else get that vibe? it just feels like a very negative business practice to spend money restricting content as opposed to creating it.
While I'm no fan of exclusives, it's hard to blame Microsoft for that, because all console makers are guilty of it. You noted that you like the Playstation for it's exclusives. You're aware that Sony takes a much lower cut of software sales for exclusive titles, right? Or sometimes, exclusives are bought by the platform vendor writing a cheque to the software developer. Each time I'm sure the deal are negotiated, and are slightly different on a case-by-case basis.

Anyway, I'll agree that exclusives are bad for gamers, but don't lay that industry reality at Microsoft's feet. Sony does it too. Don't you get that same vibe from Sony when they pay for the exclusivity of games like Heavy Rain?

#186 ·
I don't really consider buying the full rights to a game the same. Sony has a bunch of 1st party studios and they have 3rd party studios make games for them. MS has the same, they don't own the Gears of War IP but they have a deal where it's an exclusive. I have no issues with that. It's the money under the table. delay this juicy DLC from going on our competitors console for 6 months, wink wink, nod, nod. MS has done it with GTA, Fallout and Skyrim if I can recall properly off the top of my head.

#187 ·
So you're saying that some PS3 DLC is delayed by Microsoft and the rest is delayed by the network performance of PSN? :)

I gotta disagree with you though. I'm 100% against exclusives - I think gamers should be able to pick their system and play any game. Having to purchase multiple "game computers" is wasteful if additional "game computers" exist to play one or two exclusive titles.

Delayed DLC may be annoying, but it's less annoying than the content not showing up at all.

#189 ·
I'm not saying I support exclusives, giving gamers the choice is always best (for the gamers). It's just not particularly realistic at this stage. It's like asking the U.S and Russia to completely disarm. Not going to happen. At some point there's no more consoles and it's just a subscription to a cloud based service, at which point MS and Sony look more like today's Cable monopolies. Perhaps next gen (but I doubt it with our embarrassing internet infrastructure). I expect that both MS and Sony see their clouds replacing the traditional console, the console business is expensive, how much cheaper would it be to do all the heavy lifting in the backend and simply stream the gameplay? Again, only thing standing in the way is our internet.

#192 ·
This pay for exclusives reaches farther than just video games. Happens with apps on platforms as well. How about the Panasonic deal for the exclusive 3D Blu-ray of Avatar? If that wasn't one of the things that ruined 3D gaining any real traction in the home I don't know what else did. Oh and why stop there, how about the fact that you can't buy a Pepsi product on UofA campus. Another exclusive deal! Sorry for going a bit OT, but I think you get my point! Money Talks! The evidence is all around us!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.