Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS TV 2012 New Channels Discussion

12K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
New Channels always generate a lot of discussion so this thread is for discussing new channels in 2012.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to MTS but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.

A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.

If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but MTS has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.

Replaces 2011 Thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=134610 and MTS tv changes Dec 8 2011.

#5 ·
When Dusk ended service MTS stated there would be no adjustment to package pricing as they would be replacing it with a new channel. That roughly lines up with when FX Canada entered free preview. It would seem like this may be the intended replacement however there has been nothing offical said.

Just wondering if anyone has heard any updates.

#6 ·
I received noticed that MTS will be performing the usual system update between May 15 and June 15 for the vauge "future upgrades".

Also, Fox Sport World has been discontinued by the supplier so MTS no longer carries it. On the MTS site they state they are looking at possible replacements and have not reducded monhtly fees, the same as what happened when Dusk was ended by the supplier and several months later there is still no replacement.

#7 ·
It has been announced that Showcase Diva is converting to the Lifetime brand and The Cave will convert to H2 (an offshot of History). As these are changes to channels MTS carries they will likely occur here too unless the channels are dropped for some reason...

#9 ·
New Channels June 26, 2012

These 2 channels will be added to both Classic and Ultimate

FX Canada
Channel 237
Movie Picks

GMA News TV International
Channel 524
Additional Choices - $4.00

These channels will be added to Ultimate only

PVR
Channel 51
Basic (with PVR)

PIX New York HD
Channel 1118
HD Starter

FX Canada HD
Channel 1237
Free HD

documentary HD
Channel 1264
Free HD

The Weather Network App
Channel 16
Basic

The KARAOKE Channel
Channel 61
Additional Choices - $6.95/month

Facebook on TV
Channel 83
Basic

MTS Centre on Demand
Channel 86
Basic

The Weather Network App
Channel 1016
Basic

Please use this thread to discuss changes to existing channels:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1420554#post1420554

#12 ·
Nice catch Cory. My guess is that they decided to officially replace the recently-deceased Dusk with FX in the Movie Picks theme, since the content fits the theme. ABC Spark is still on preview until October so MTS may be waiting to see what other channels they can add.

#13 ·
FX always seemed well suited to slot into Movie Picks.

Part of me wonders how long it will be until Showchase is rebranded as USA Networks Canada. Shaw Media already seems to be picked up a lot of the scripted offerings from that channel and Shaw proper has requested permission to carry the American version only to be denied.

It would have be nice if one Canadian cable channel had come along and scooped up most/all the scripted programming on US basic cable...

#14 ·
Here's the official press release for the new channels and apps that went into effect June 26. Not much new info.
For those MTS Ultimate TV customers who also subscribe to MTS High Speed Internet, MTS recently added four new "Apps on TV": Facebook on TV, The KARAOKE Channel, MTS Centre on Demand, and The Weather Network App.

The addition of these services brings the number of HD channels available on Ultimate TV to 110, and the number of Apps on TV to nine.
The Weather Network App gives viewers detailed forecasts and more for up to ten cities. Get local current conditions, short-term and long-term forecasts.
They've also updated the printable brochure (PDF 3.59 MB) of the Channel Packages.

They officially announced ABC Spark in the press release, but it's still not in the brochure or on-line channel list, so it hasn't been assigned to a theme yet (still on free preview).

#15 ·
NFL Sunday Ticket & RedZone

MTS has announced their pricing for the 2012 season.
Subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket before August 20, 2012 for $149.00 for the full season. A savings of $50 dollars!

Follow your favourite team and get every game, every Sunday! With NFL Sunday Ticket (Channels 1811 – 1826), you can watch up to 16 NFL games each Sunday throughout the 17-week regular season. Real Fans Get NFL Sunday Ticket on MTS Ultimate TV!

Also, keep track of up to six games at once with My Picks, only on MTS Ultimate TV.
NFL RedZone provides fans with the scoring action as it happens during all of the Sunday afternoon games. When a team goes inside its opponent's 20-yard line, NFL RedZone takes you there and provides you live look-ins, highlights, fantasy stats, and the chance to see every scoring play from every game.

NFL RedZone can be found on MTS Ultimate TV on channels 810 (Classic and UTV) and 1810 (UTV only in HD). $49.95 for the NFL Season
http://www.mts.ca/mts/personal/winn...ervice/ultimate+tv+features/nfl+sunday+ticket

#16 ·
MTS has announced another mysterious update will occur between Sept 18 and 20th for ultimate tv customers. source

Based on past updates this will likely bring some changes to channels, including the removal of TVTroplios West and Showcase West which have been discountinued and are currently running as exact mirrors of the east feed. It will also likely rename the old Teletoon West feed to Cartoon Network Canada to reflect the recent change. This set of changes will also likely place ABC Spark into one of the theme groups as the free preview is scheduled to end soon.

It remains unclear what will be happening with TSN Jets and TSN Jets HD due to the lockout.

#17 ·
MTS has announced the following new channels as of Dec 4/12:

NACTV 30 Basic
CJ97.1, The Voice of the Heartland (CJBP-FM) 746 Basic
OUTtv HD 1295 Lifestyle
AMItv HD 1888 Basic
travel + escape HD 1302 Places
WFN HD 1183 Sports Trophies
MC 3 HD 1213 Premium Movies
Prairie Public Radio 733 Basic
Animal Planet HD 1251 Kids Plus
Bravo! HD 1123 Adventure
The Comedy Network HD 1115 Entertainment
Discovery Channel HD 1104 Prime Time 2
E! HD 1113 Entertainment
MuchMusic HD 1023 Basic
Space HD 1122 Adventure
CTV HD Montreal 1344 Timeshift East
myTV38 Boston HD 1221 Super
WGN 9 Chicago HD 1222 Super
KTLA Los Angeles HD 1224 Super
CHCH Hamilton HD 1261 Cinema
CBC HD Halifax 1347 Timeshift East
DistracTV 76 Additional Choices

https://www2.mts.ca/portal/site/mts...040f0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default#AccordionItem2-0

Hopefully the link works, will likely have to click on new channels.

#18 ·
New Channels as of December 4, 2012

Code:
[B]Channel	Group      	Name[/B]
30	Basic       	NACTV
746	Basic       	CJ97.1, The Voice of the Heartland (CJBP-FM)
1295	Lifestyle	OUTtv HD
1888	Basic       	AMItv HD
1302	Places     	travel + escape HD
1183	Sports Trophies	WFN HD
1213	Premium Movies	MC 3 HD
733	Basic       	Prairie Public Radio
1251	Kids Plus	Animal Planet HD
1123	Adventure	Bravo! HD
1115	Entertainment	The Comedy Network HD
1104	Prime Time 2	Discovery Channel HD
1113	Entertainment	E! HD
1023	Basic       	MuchMusic HD
1122	Adventure	Space HD
1344	Timeshift East	CTV HD Montreal
1221	Super      	myTV38 Boston HD
1222	Super      	WGN 9 Chicago HD
1224	Super      	KTLA Los Angeles HD
1261	Cinema    	CHCH Hamilton HD
1347	Timeshift East	CBC HD Halifax
76	Addnl Choices   DistracTV
The link KSPSlice posted only works if you're logged in to your MTS account so I formatted the contents.

#20 ·
TV channels renamed as of December 4, 2012

This reflects all the rebranding that has taken place.
Code:
[B]Channel	Group      	Current Name       	New Name[/B]
105	PrimeTime 2	History Television	History
224	Movie Flicks	Showcase Diva       	Lifetime
254	Kids Plus	SCN                    	Citytv Saskatchewan
291	Lifestyle	The Cave             	H2
1613	Hollywood Suite	Hollywood Storm    	AXN Movies
1614	Hollywood Suite	Hollywood Festival      Sony Movie Channel
265	Cinema    	Movieola          	Rewind Channel

#22 ·
Classic TV changes as of December 4, 2012

I found a link for Classic TV with the same changes for channel number changes and renamed channels (not including the HD channels obviously).

www.mts.ca/mts/personal/support/tv/changes+to+mts+tv/changes+to+classic+tv

The following 3 channels will be added to Basic:

30 NACTV
733 Prairie Public Radio
746 CJ97.1, The Voice of the Heartland(CJBP-FM)

#23 ·
The updated PDF for the new brochure as of today is missing 4 channels that were originally announced before:
1221 Super myTV38 Boston HD
1222 Super WGN 9 Chicago HD
1224 Super KTLA Los Angeles HD
1347 Timeshift East CBC HD Halifax

Also the link I posted earlier has them missing now as well. The odd thing is the paper brochure I picked up at my local Connect store still shows the first three listed. So was this a last minute change? Can anyone confirm if these channels were added or not?

#24 ·
I went into Set-up to update my channels tonight, and I saw there's a new option for a "Second Screen". Apparently you can use an iPhone app to access extra information about whatever you're watching.
I'm probably not going to use it, since I know how to Google something without an app telling me what to look for, but I thought I'd mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.