Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

TCM HD Blackout

35K views 90 replies 44 participants last post by  dschell_2000 
#1 ·
Anyone notice tonight that TCM HD is Blacked out on Rogers with a message saying that they dont have the broadcast rights in Canada, but TCM SD is showing "The Goodbye Girl". I'm surprised that Rogers is using the U.S. feed for TCM HD. I also looked through this coming weeks listings on TCM HD and their are no other blackouts scheduled. So it appears the U.S. and Canadian schedules are virtually identical now with the odd exception.

#12 ·
As mentioned in earlier posts, we are discussing specific movies, which on the Rogers guide are listed as "blacked out". I assume TCM don't have the rights for those specific movies in Canada. With TCM it looks as though the US and Canadian channels are quite similar, unlike HDNet for example which has a separate schedule for Canada due to many programme rights not being available for Canada.

#13 ·
I dont see any other Blackouts scheduled on the TCM HD channel in the coming week. I'm sure its just the odd movie that will be affected, not a big deal. I guess HDNET because its on a low penetration tier doesn't want to purchase the Canadian Rights for more of its programming. TCM has way more subscibers which makes it profitable for them to do so.

#15 ·
...listed as "blacked out". I assume TCM doesn't have the rights for those specific movies in Canada.
Maybe I am missing some key piece of information but...I assume that TCM, being "Turner Classic Movies" would only show movies that are part of Turner's vast collection of films. Therefore, why would they not have the "Canadian" rights to show their own movies in Canada on their own channel?

#22 ·
I could be wrong, but here is my best guess...

Some movie studios purchase the rights to a movie so they can re-master it and release it. The new movie studio owns the rights to the re-mastered movie but the old studio retains the rights to the original.

The re-mastered movie would be the one shown on the HD channel. In the U.S. TCM has got the rights to show the original & re-mastered versions, in Canada for some they only have the rights to the original.

But that is just a my guess.

#25 ·
... if that's the case, they are not guilty at all. The three channels mentioned put out a high-quality product and deserve to have their rights protected if they are airing the same movies. Oasis HD in particular is a standby of mine if nothing else is on.. and I am certainly looking forward to their Parks Canada series which starts this week.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
TCM-HD -"Blackout in effect" - what?

So, I was about to watch A SHOT IN THE DARK on TCM-HD, very excited to see this early Sellers gem in high def, when the channel suddenly blacked out. The channel guide for TCM-HD now lists "blackout in effect" in place of A SHOT IN THE DARK. What's the deal with this, and how frequently does it happen??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.