Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

SW44 switch discussion

512K views 981 replies 212 participants last post by  Allan B 
#1 · (Edited)
Another very common installation is the SW44 switch. It typically uses two inputs from 82 and 2 inputs from 91 which will allow 4 outputs but can also be used with 2 inputs from one sat to output 4 lines like a SW24. This switch also requires a power adaptor to be used.

Some people have said it works without a power adaptor but I personally would not recommend it because your receivers will then need to power the switch and lnb's.

It is an indoor and outdoor switch however needs to be plugged indoors.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Administrators Note:
I want to thank Q for all his work setting these threads. All of the work below was done by him. I merely helped him post some of this information (hence why it appears to be posted by me). Please direct any thanks or questions to him - Hugh

Product Gas Electrical wiring Machine Electronic device

EDIT by Dr.Dave: Attached images in these 3 posts that were lost during conversion.

#533 ·
Typical install with one dish.

^^ This is my current setup.

Four RG6 were run from the roof (dish location) to the basement, which go into an SW44, which feeds three receivers:
2 lines to a 9200 (in bonus room)
1 line to a 5900 (in living room)
1 line to a 3100 (in master bedroom)

Each of those three locations also have a Cat5 cable run as well. The ones in the bedroom and living room are currently wired for data to plug a laptop into my LAN. The one in the bonus room is currently wired as a phone line for the Bell receiver.

(There are also single RG6 cable runs to 4 other locations in the house, currently unused and unconnected on both ends.)

Basement is currently undeveloped, but construction will start soon. I am planning on adding a bedroom, workshop/hobby room, and a dedicated home theater room.

Questions:
1) What do I need to do to add more receivers to my house? (Preference is to avoid having to add a 2nd dish on the roof). The development of the basement would likely mean the addition of at least one new receiver, for the HT. Probably the 9241 model. (HD, PVR)
2) What do I need to do to replace/"upgrade" either the 5900 or the 3100 with an HD receiver (probably the 6131) in their respective existing locations? (Given there is only 1 RG6, and 1 cat5).

Since the HT room will be directly below the living room, it's probably not a big deal to run a second RG6 from the TV/receiver location there down into the basement. Is that a no-brainer that I should do that (at least before the basement is done)? Or can I get by perfectly fine with the existing 1 RG6 and 1 cat5?

Anything else I should consider doing with respect to future-proofing/expanding going forward? (assuming I stay with satellite TV for the foreseeable future)

Thanks.

#5 ·
2nd request for help with SW44 switch

Hi,

I cannot get my 2nd tuner (on my new 9242) to work with the switch. Tuner one works fine, and when I bypass the switch, I can acquire a signal with tuner 2 (so I know it is not the receiver). I have disconnected the receiver from the switch, run the check switch test, then reconnected the receiver and still cannot pass the check switch test for the 2nd tuner. Is there anything else that I could be missing, other than the obvious (bad switch)? I have searched through this forum and found some ideas (e.g., the notion of disconnnecting the receiver and running the switch test again), but I would appreciate any additional help.

Thanks!

#14 ·
I currently have 1 dish with dual LNB's and 2 sw21 switches.. I am thinking of getting a 3rd receiver...what to I need? I am thinking a sw44? any help is appreciated.

Cheers
Another way to get outputs for 3 receivers is a Dishpro Plus 1000.2 setup. I recently installed one and it works great. They are about $60 on ebay and have the switch integrated into the lnb.

#10 ·
I currently have 1 dish with dual LNB's and 2 sw21 switches.. I am thinking of getting a 3rd receiver...what to I need? I am thinking a sw44? any help is appreciated.
Yes, a SW44 will do the trick as it will provide 4 outputs. Keep in mind that any dual tuner receivers required 2 outputs, but in your case it doesn't look like you have any dual tuners.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=79117

#16 ·
sw44 with one LNB

Hello all, I bought a sw44 powered switch for my Bell system with two receivers.
It has one LNB (91) with two lines coming off it.Each line goes directly to a receiver. I wanted to add a third receiver so I bought an sw44 switch.My question is about the sw44 , is it the right switch for a single LNB with two lines coming off it.
Or is there a specific way to hook up this application.
Thank You for your help

Gary

#17 · (Edited)
Sw44 installations here

You need 2 lines from 2 satellites for it to work.

edited Feb25/08

**It looks like you actually can use the SW44 switch with only one satellite with 2 lines to output 4 lines.**
For anyone looking to futureproof but with no need of 82 programming at present this may be important.

#18 ·
Sw44 Power inserter question!!!

Need help finding what type of adapter do I need to power the inserter, need to know what voltage and polarity configuration etc it is, any help would be greatly appreciated as I cant find any info on the net, bought the switch on craigslist but didn't realize u need power adapter! :(

#19 ·
Sw44 Power inserter question!!!

The label on my Bell provided transformer for the SW44 power inserter says it is a Class 2 power supply manufactured by Ault

input 120 VAC 60 HZ 31W
output 24 VDC 1000 mA
the label indicates the outer shell of the plug to the inserter is negative and the center pin is positive

#20 ·
I know this maybe a little late, but, you don’t need a SW44. (Unless you want to add a second LNB some day). You need a SW24 (or SW34). This will allow you to drive upto 4 receivers with your current 2 inputs from the LNB. They are cheap, and do not need an external power supply. Look on eBay.

#23 ·
The only important item is to ensure the power inserter is connected to the proper port for the switch (usually port #1, but some models use a different port). Other than that, an output is an output and it makes no difference what type or model IRD you have connected.

#24 · (Edited)
Last week I had a new SW44 not work properly with my 9242, it was always acting up and showing switch errors, so while in warranty an installer came and he stated:

91 MUST go to 1a and 1b.
82 MUST go to 2a and 2b.

and NOT:

82 to 1a and 1b
91 to 2a and 2b

Is this true? is it just for some receivers like my 9242?

The instructions I have do not specify this at all. The icon on the label at least gives the impression to not put 91 in 1a and 82 in 1b etc.

Also I'm tired of the CHECKSWITCH error showing when the satellite isn't seen due to wet snow on the dish. Someone would think that the switch is the problem before finally clearing the snow on the dish.

#25 ·
Is this true? is it just for some receivers like my 9242?
As long as both even and odd from one sat feed into the "1" and odd and even from the other sat feed into "2" and the power inserter is on the correct port then that is all you need. It does not HAVE to be 91 on 1 and 82 on 2 but there is no reason it can't be.

If for some reason yours works better that way, then go with it.

#27 ·
How to: SW44 with 9242+4100 without HD subscription

A moderator previously said on Feb 22 2008:

citation/
**It looks like you actually can use the SW44 switch with only one satellite with 2 lines to output 4 lines.**
For anyone looking to futureproof but with no need of 82 programming at present this may be important.
/citation

Can someone give more details on this kind of setup. I have a standard single dual output LNBF dish and would like to feed my 9242 and 4100 receivers. Is it just basically sending the 2 outputs from the single LNBF into the SW44 on inputs 1A+1B. Than connect the 9242 via the SW44 output #1+#2 and the 4100 on output #3? Is that all? Or must I use splitters to have the 2 outputs of the LNBF feed the 4 inputs of the SW44?
Will the dual tuner function work in this setup? I really don’t want to install 2 LNBF for having an extra Sat82 signal I will not use and also have 4 wires come out of the dish feeding the switch.

Right now I have both receivers directly connected to an output of the dish. However, because of this, the 9242 does not have a cable connected on Sat2 and I presume this is why the 2nd tuner does not work. All I want is to have both receivers working on Sat91 and use the dual tuner function of the 9242.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.