Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Global/E! Claims They'll Meet April 2008 OTA Deadlines!

8K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  stampeder 
#1 ·
Regarding CHCH-DT (known as E!) in Hamilton:
Hopefully someone in CHCH's time zone/area code can give them a phone call to let us know. There have been rumours of another Global station coming up in April 2008 as well (see Vancouver Stations thread) so maybe they're out of extensions.
I sent them an email and here's the reply. This is encouraging!!
Thank you for your note. We are currently in the process of installing a HD transmitter for CHCH News/E! Ontario and I do not foresee any technical issues that will stop us from meeting our commitment to the CRTC's time table.
We look forward to having you as a Digital viewer in April.

regards,
xxxxxx
Broadcast Operations Manager
CHCH News Hamilton

#2 ·
Vancouver on track

danbcman has received this info regarding Global Vancouver (CHAN-DT channel 22):
danbcman said:
Delays are not due to hardware but more to do with a Gobal Tv issue.

The hardware is on order and will be install once it arrives as the alocation of space for the items have already been approved.

The power is going to be greater than cbc even though it is listed lower than that right now.

And just to repeat they are getting so many calls about OTA it is overwhelming to them. :)

They plan to meet the April deadline give or take a little.

#10 ·
Global FAQ: CHCH Hamilton, Global Ontario and Global BC by the end of April

High Definition Inquiries:
Although HD is not mandated by the CRTC until 2011, the Global Television Network is taking steps towards conversion this year (2008).
Global Television in Ontario currently provides an HD stream to some of the larger BDUs - broadcast distribution undertaking (BDUs are your local cable or satellite providers). We will be addressing each Global station over a period of time and not all at once.
There is no over the air transmission available yet, but we expect to have an over the air HD transmitter up and running for CHCH Hamilton, Global Ontario and Global BC by the end of April. After they are set up and running, Calgary and Edmonton will follow for an HD transmitter, followed by the remaining Global Networks. Detailed specifications (i.e. the actual channel #'s) will come at a later date.
Simulcast Substitution (SimSub) of our Global or E! signal atop a U.S. broadcaster's signal carrying the exact same program at the exact same time will continue as per the CRTC, however that said if for example NBC is airing an HD version of the same show we only have available in SD (Standard Definition), then the BDU's should not be initiating that SimSub.
Your patience is appreciated and we hope we've addressed your query.
http://www.canada.com/globaltv/info/faqs.html

#11 ·
Ha ha! I love the way the PR people spin it around to make it seem like 'they' are taking the initiative. After all, DTV is not mandated until 2011. :) No need to mention the fact that they've already delayed the initial deployment by two years! While we're at it, why bring up the fact that the 'new' deadlines are the final deadlines.

#13 ·
I question the accuracy of those #'s,
because 2150.com broadcast search shows city-dt @ 2.3kw.
If that's sufficient, then global should technically be coming in stronger.
(Though every other dt station is at least 75... who knows.)
Lets just hope they actually come online.. 3kw is better than 0! ;)

#14 ·
In the Global FAQ (posted by mr.eous above) it says:
There is no over the air transmission available yet, but we expect to have an over the air HD transmitter up and running for CHCH Hamilton, Global Ontario and Global BC by the end of April.
When they say "Global Ontario", will that mean they will be broadcasting in digital in the Ottawa market also?

#15 ·
Global Toronto's ERP levels are not what they seem

These are from Industry Canada's database:
ON Toronto 65 CIII-DT-41 GTN 433833 792314 458.8 3000 776.00

ON Hamilton 18 CHCH-DT INDE 431227 794627 338.2 30000 494.00
http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblanc/Canada_TV_Stations/index.html

Now having said that, please go back and read what Global told danbcman, that their ERP in Vancouver will be much higher than what is shown in IC's database. Why wouldn't they do that in Hamilton and Toronto too?

My advice to all is to not look too hard at the IC numbers right now. Let's see what they choose to go with.

#18 ·
Just a reminder to stay on topic, folks.

This isn't a thread about past issues with Global, and when you read through this thread you'll know what we know already, so if you get any factual news and/or official responses from Global about Global's Digital OTA plans and activities please post it here.

A few posts have been removed.

#19 ·
I for one am excited by the news that Global are now (finely) working on an OTA transmiter in Ontario. Does anyone know where they will be transmitting from? CN tower? First Canadian? I have been very lucky this year with the last spot I moved my antenna. I NEVER lose Fox anymore or NBC or CBS. However, for whatever reason I almost never get ABC. As the weather gets above zero it comes back. So I dont really want to move my antenna. I also never lose CITY, CBC or PBS. SUN comes and goes no mater what the temperature. I'm very satified with the antenna location now and am very weary about having to move it for Global. I guess its wait and see.

#25 ·
As soon as Global and CH start broadcasting, I guess I won't care that I can't pull in NBC reliably. That is if the CH signal is strong enough. I saw 3 kW in another thread. That doesn't sound like a very strong signal at all to reach the east part of Toronto although I am able to pull in CTS from Hamilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.