Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Are there any new Receivers on the horizon?

14K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  Pinza 
#1 ·
Sorry...I meant new HD Receivers.

We have seen both Bell 9242 and 6141 come and go rather quickly.

Now we have the 9241 and the 6131.

But as the title suggests...are there any new and exciting HD Receivers on the horizon.

Was there not a DishNetwork HD-PVR coming that had a one terabyte hd?

That would be interesting as I don't really want to mess with an external hard drive...I want a total solution when I replace my 9200.

Anyway...maybe someone out there has heard something and would care to share?

#2 ·
One thing to keep in mind, just because a Dish receiver has a specific feature set it does not mean the Bell version (if Bell even offers one) will have those features. What receiver was it, the 9242 that had a smaller hard drive than the Dish counterpart? Never under estimate what Bell will do :)

#3 ·
I do understand that fact...

However...I figured since the general consensus was/is that both the 9242 and the 6141 were/are better receivers than what Bell currently offers...then Bell would have an opportunity to raise the bar and bring in newer feature packed receivers at this point in time...and up-charge for them.

My 9200 is beginning to do some funky things and I for one would welcome an opportunity to purchase a newer, high end, feature packed, mpeg4 top of the line pvr and I would bet a lot of people who purchased the 9200 the day they came out would feel the same way.

I think the stage is set for a win-win situation...the only thing I don't know...is if any new HD Receivers are on the horizon.

#4 ·
The only Echostar (Dish - Bells hardware supplier) new box is the ViP922 which is still in testing. The new "feature" that it brings is the built in SlingBox features Many of the EchoStar boxes can now be programmed via the internet to set timers/recordings when you are away fro home. This feature is buggy and not quite ready for prime time. Some of these boxes can be configged via iPhones or some specific models and carriers on the BlackBerry.

I don't see the 922 hitting Bell for a long time, if ever.

#5 ·
I suspect the 9241 and the 6131 will be the last receivers you will see for a long time. I suspect the next big push from Bell will be MPEG4.

#8 ·
There was a rumour that Dish/E* was working on a receiver that would stream programming from one PVR to a PVR/receiver in another room. That could replace the 9200 and 9242 for second room viewing. As for the 922, wait until Dish has deployed it successfully for a year and we might see a Bell TV version. Personally, I hate the fact that no PVR with second room access is available from Bell TV. We use that feature daily.

#9 ·
The current receiver of choice with Dish is the 722K. It has new learning remotes and OTA is now an option. The OTA tuner module has two tuners and is around $30. So you can record 4 shows at the same time. It is rock solid and performs very well.

Most retailers/installers avoid selling the 612 (same as Bell's 9241) because of all the bugs and problems. I believe it may be discontinued very soon.

Hopefully Bell will offer the 722K someday. I wouldn't hold my breath though. They went from the 942 (9200) to refurbed 622s (9242) and then to the worst receiver Echostar offers - the 612 (9241)

#11 ·
It is quite obvious that Bell is cutting corners on receivers to cut costs. I can see them possibly offering a 722K as a premium choice in a couple of years. OTOH, Bell appears to dislike offering OTA or extra features in their receivers so we might just get Dish's old refurbed 722s. If they try to 'downgrade' my 9200 to a 9241 when MPEG4 is implemented, I will be asking for some kind of compensation for lost functionality.

#12 ·
Talk about cutting corners I have the 9242 model receiver and a friend who has a Dish Net sub has the Vip 722 and while they look the same on the outside I was at his house playing around with it and saw right away that the 722 has 55hrs or HD capacity while my 9242 only has 30 that fired me up right off the bat. Why not bring in the receivers as is? Is it that hard to do? So yes I hope they do offer the new 722k at some point but it has to be AS IS features in all.

#17 ·
info on 6241?

The new "The Source" store in Wasaga Beach is selling the Bell HD PVR 6241 model for $250 (with $200) credit. They said this is the newest PVR model but I can't find any reference to it's features here at Digital home.
I would like answers to the following questions:
1. does it have an internal fan and how loud is it
2. Can I record 2 HD programs while watching a previously recorded one
3. does it have PIP for the 2 tuners including the playback channel (eg. like the Rogers 8200)
4. Does it have component as well as HDMI outputs
5. Is the output 1080p,1080i or 720? I read elsewhere that all Bell output is 720?
6. Is the $200 credit only for 2 year contracts?

I also need a second receiver for a second HDTV. Does the programming credit for that ($100) also apply?

thanks for any info.

#18 ·
Try looking for a 9241, as there is no such beast as a 6241....

I am answering your questions based on the 9241.

1. does it have an internal fan and how loud is it
Yes it has an internal fan. Volume will depend on exactly where you locate the receiver and how much cooling it gets.

2. Can I record 2 HD programs while watching a previously recorded one
Yes.

3. does it have PIP for the 2 tuners including the playback channel (eg. like the Rogers 8200)
No

4. Does it have component as well as HDMI outputs
Yes.

5. Is the output 1080p,1080i or 720? I read elsewhere that all Bell output is 720?
Bell transmits all its' HD programming in 720p, you can choose to output from the receiver in 1080i or 720p. No Bell receiver outputs 1080p.

6. Is the $200 credit only for 2 year contracts?
My guess is that this is for new customers only.

#21 ·
LOL it will be a long time till we get this in Canada...well maybe the Nimq 5 no show on Bell`s part will get us some better receivers...we can only hope...

After doing some more looking around I found this receiver due out soon by Dish. Now this is the receiver I want from Bell but it has to be as is with all features & 1TB HDD in tacked.http://gizmodo.com/5126046/dish-netw...es-slingloaded

#22 ·
well maybe the Nimq 5 no show on Bell`s part will get us some better receivers...we can only hope...
You have the best receivers available in Canada now, be it Cable or Satellite...

If they can ever get all the bugs out of the 922, and offer people an optional normal push button remote it will be an awesome receiver. Will Bell ever offer something like this, who knows. What we do know is they took the 9242 away to avoid service calls, a small step in the wrong direction IMO. Shaw Direct is still working on some the great functions (over a year now) that the 9242, 9241, 6141 & 6131 have.

#24 ·
Are Existing HD set top boxes about to become "Obsolete"

I have a friend in Calgary that is looking to buy 2 HD STB`s and 2 SD STB`s,
The place where he went to purchase these STB`s told him that within 3 or 4months Bell will have a new type of HD STB using MP4...???
He was told the old "HD" STB`s will be "Obsolete"...!!!
Has anyone heard anything about this...???
He is about to "Wire" his whole house (Upstairs & Downstairs) and now is wondering if he should hold off purchasing right now...???
This sounds like Bullshit to me...???
Has anyone any news on this or is it all Bullshit...???
I have a Bell 6141 HD STB in my home,so I hope this is not true...!!!
Thanks for any help or info...
oldave

#25 ·
I think that the future is almost here where we will just have a normal Bell HD receiver like the 6141 and have it hooked up to a media center. I think it is in the cards for me in the next 12 months and they I can customize and have multiple feeds and rooms to my hearts content.
I think this reality is soon.....and then we don`t need to cow ow to Bells whims and have 2nd and 3 rd rate hand me downs from echostar.

#26 ·
To the best of my knowledge there are no new receivers on the horizon. The current 6131 HD Receiver is MPEG4 ready but having said that, I doubt Bell TV will go over to MPEG4 for at least a couple of years yet. There are thousands of 6100 & 9200 models out there that will have to be replaced before the introduction of MPEG4.

Just as a side note, the 9200 is still available to new customers for a realistic $249 I believe, at some locations.

As for wiring, go ahead, Bell will still be using Coax from the dish, that will not change. I would run 2 RG6 lines to each room, back to a central point, just in case.

#27 ·
Dish hasn't introduced any new receivers for some time. If there was anything new for Bell in the next year or two, Dish would have it first. I expect more of the same from bell for at least a couple of years.

#30 ·
That makes sense. The 6242 was basically a Dish 622. The 9241 is basically a Dish 612. If Bell comes out with anything, it would be a rebranded Dish 722. It appears that Bell is trying to save costs and steer people away from OTA, so I don't expect to see an OTA option. The Dish 722 doesn't really have a lot the the 622/9242 didn't. The disk drive is larger. It's certainly better than the 9241 but only marginally better than the 9242.

As for new receivers making old ones obsolete, the 6131 and 9241 won't be obsolete anytime soon. A 9242 would be a better option but won't make those obsolete. The 6100 and 9200 will become obsolete for HD when Bell switches to MPEG4 HD but they will still be usable for SD.

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
Dishnetwork released VIP922, will Bell have it this year?

Dishnetwork finally released much anticipated VIP922 HD DVR receiver with built in Slingbox functionality. You can find more info on Dishnetwork website.

The question is how long we need to wait before it will be available through Bell. I want to upgrade my 9200, but don't mind to wait few more months for this box.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.