Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Improve My Coat Hanger Antenna?

6K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  bowmah 
#1 ·
ok, I just made my first coat hanger antenna. Instead of coat hangers, I bought galvanized steel wiring. Way easier to bend than coat hangers, not to mention it was tough to find coat hangers that are metal these days.

Depending on location and direction, I can get anywhere from 11-17 channels. Most are not what I would watch, I am interested to get CBC for hockey night in Canada! In my area, there have been reports that CBC is not watchable but I can almost get there. If I can strengthen signal by a few dB, I think it will be stable and watchable. I can actually get Fox and ABC very clearly, just CBC is a bit off.

Can someone recommend a proper design to add some tin foil behind the antenna. I made a quick one without any measurements and it actually made the signal worse.

Any help here would be great.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Thanks for all the info gang.

Yes it looks like I did build too small of a unit. To get in the best range for CBC, I don't really care if I receive other channels, if I do great. If not, no biggie.

To give CBC the best chance to come through, do I need to make a 10 inch coat hanger style? I have remaining materials from the first build to quick make another one.

Also, the parts where the longer wires cross, I should insulate one wire right?

#6 ·
ok, just read up a little on tvfool.

Anyone care to share tips on how to best make a homemade antenna to get CBC HD. And any tips on how to read tvfool report would also be great. I am willing to learn, just need some guidance. Need to watch hockey this winter.

Don't really care about other channels.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Ok it must be a much smaller antenna. I can get ABC and Fox but none of the local stations. Time to start a new build.

Bouval, thanks for the j to and sharing your build. I can't build that as my antenna has to be I doors. Let me work on a new antenna and see if I can get any if the local channels. Need some hockey this winter lol

#11 ·
So maybe I am only getting the current database channels and not the pending ones? That looks like more it I think.

After re-looking at the graphs, I think my initial antenna face was correct. I should be pointing towards 301 degrees, that should be WNW. Funny how I can get Fox from 121 miles away but not something local! grrrrr!

#12 ·
Weird station results when selecting "Current" and "pending" is just a database goofy with TV Fool and Canadian data. There are still analog channels in the database that are long gone.

Pending/digital should show you everything that really exists.

Getting signal from 121 degrees when you think you are aiming at 301 - that sounds to me like your "front" and "back" are different than what you expect on that antenna.

Turn it around and see what happens.

#13 ·
Bowmah,

Indoor TV reception is very tricky, I tried many of my builds inside and sometimes a signal was stronger from a reflection than pointing directly at the transmitter.

The best spot for an indoor antenna is in front of a window and 2 meters off the floor, or hung at the ceiling.

#14 ·
I agree. If an indoor antenna is required, place it close to or on a window facing in the direction of the station.

For recommended builds, see this thread. For indoor use, the Gray-Hoverman is cheap and easy to build from #14 house wire. Just fabricate the active element and leave off any reflectors. It can even be taped to a window.

#15 ·
@ExDilbert, thanks for the link. I have read through most of that thread but there is a lot of info here. It is not easy to understand but I think I got the idea. Now the problem is, I will have to buy all materials to make a GH antenna. The coat hanger one was much cheaper and easier to understand. I will have to bite bullet and figure this out.

One last question, will the 9 inch coat hanger http://m4antenna.eastmasonvilleweather.com/Drawings/PDF Drawings.html

be better than my 7 inch one?

One thing I noticed is my "cross" areas are not insulated or away from each other.

It will only take a few minutes to make the cross points not touch. Is it worth time to try this or just make a new 9 inch one?

Thanks for all feedback, this is awesome!

#17 ·
Ok just lengthened the cross points so there is about 1 inch spacing here. I knew the slightly longer ends would come in handy when I made the cuts. I can get CBC now. There is still jitter but its watchable like this. A sunny day helps too I think.

What else can I do to get a few dB of signal? I have more wiring, tin foil, wood and screws and washers.

I also fanned out the bow ties and this with the spacing in the cross points helped a lot.

#18 ·
Holy cow. I read another user saying some channels are more visible in the evening. After making space in the crosses and widening the bow ties, in the afternoon, I got about 17 channels. Later tonight, I just scanned again and got 35 channels. Granted most I won't watch but it's good to mnow I spent less than $10 and can receive this many OTA channels.

Lets hope these channels stick over the winter months. Now imagine what a GH antenna installed outdoors could do! Unfortunately, that is not possible.

Anyone else find night time yields better signal?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.