Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Yamaha YSP-2200

9K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I have just finished hooking up my Yamaha YSP-2200 to my receiver and television using the setup seen below. I get video for all three components, but no sound for any of them. I have run the initial setup for the YSP-2200 (which was fun!) so can confirm the unit is working.

Any suggestions for what I might be doing wrong? Thanks.

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-520-K (rear view)

Soundbar: Yamaha YSP-2200 (rear view)

TV: Sony Bravia KDL42-V4100 (rear view)

Components:

XBOX 360 (HDMI) Out --------> Receiver (HDMI) In

Popcorn Hour (HDMI) Out ----> Receiver (HDMI) In

PC (HDMI) Out -----------------> Receiver (HDMI) In

Receiver (HDMI) Out -> Soundbar (HDMI) In-1

Soundbar (HDMI) Out (ARC) -> TV (HDMI) In-1

See less See more
#2 ·
Why would you hook a soundbar onto an AVR? The whole purpose of the Soundbar is to eliminate the AVR (acting as AVR and speakers) and to produce sound from the soundbar inputs without the AVR.

Nevertheless, if you did want to hook up the AVR to the Soundbar, you'll need to go into the user settings for the AVR and switch the HDMI audio setting from "Amp", which means the AVR would send the sound to speakers connected to it, to "Through (or TV)" which means the audio would go "through" to the TV, or in your case the Soundbar which has an Amp. (There are some (typically inexpensive) "bars" that are simply speakers, that have speaker input connections for connection to an AVR, but yours is not one of those)

Would you please explain your rational for having both an AVR and a Soundbar? Do you not have speakers hooked up to the AVR? If you don't have any speakers, you would normally eliminate the AVR and connect your devices directly to the Soundbar, which has 3 HDMI inputs.

Note that if you wish to get audio from the TV to the Soundbar for use with say the TV's internal ATSC tuner, both the TV and the Soundbar must have ARC and typically the "HDMI Link" feature must be turned on in both devices - good luck since ARC has been problematical for many around here. When I looked at your pic of the TV, I didn't see mention of ARC on the HDMI inputs of the TV so I don't think it has it and this would not work if you were thinking about it. You would need to use the optical output from the TV or the analogue audio outputs (and typically turn off the TV speakers to enable these outputs). The Soundbar has inputs which would accept those signals.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112 HDMI Issues

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085 Cables & Connections

Here's a post useful for those new to this stuff:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

#3 ·
Hi 57,

Thanks for your quick and informative reply.

I enabled the THRU option as you suggested from the Audio Parameters menu of my AVR and sound now works like a charm!

I will also take a look at the links you sent, so thank you for those as well.

The receiver I am using used to be hooked up to a set of 5.1 Sony Surround Sound Speakers.

I purchased the YSP-2200 as I now live in a condo and space is at a premium.

I kept the receiver for a few reasons:

1) I plan on hooking up my Playstation 3 via HDMI and the Soundbar only has three HDMI inputs total.

2) The HDMI cables I have are all shorter ones as all my components are stacked vertically, so I did not at least initially want to purchase new cables.

3) I have a pair of Sennheiser RS-180 Wireless Headphones that I connect to the receiver (I don't see a way to connect these to the Soundbar, but I could be wrong about that).

Thank you again for all of your advice, I appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.