Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

The Official I Hate The CRTC Thread

230K views 593 replies 225 participants last post by  Nora mcloughlin docherty 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to The Official I hate the CRTC Thread!

Since so many members take it upon themselves to complain about the CRTC, especially in threads that have nothing to with the CRTC, we thought we would create this thread.

Rules of the Forum say that we delete threads or posts that say this company sucks or that person sucks or the government sucks because they servce no purpose and seldom add any value, however, we are going to wave that rule in this thread!

(Please note that legitimate complaints that actually describe customer service problems and point out potential issues and/or solutions, warn people of legitimate issues, or engage people in meaningful discussion are always welcome in all forums!)

But back to the CRTC.

Here's your chance to let it out! and even say things like "the crtc sucks!"

So here it is, the place to bash the CRTC and not have your post deleted!

(of course the bulk of the rules of this forum still apply here!)

Hope you Enjoy!

See less See more
#95 ·
NOAA:

I live in Fredericton.. and here.. last year.. there was no simsubbing on the non-HD channels of the SuperBowl. And for some strange reason, the game was simsubbed on the WEST COAST feed of the ABC-HD signals. HOWEVER, the American signal was 'in the clear' on the East Coast ABC-HD and SD network feeds.

If you're with Rogers in New Brunswick - anywhere in New Brunswick - you would have seen the same thing last year.

Now this year will be a bit trickier because it's on CBS this year and Fredericton gets CBS from BOSTON for SD and Detroit for HD.

#100 ·
I feel your simsub pains...

Therefore, I just download 720p-tv rips from various places for all my shows then just watch them on my HDTV...

Sure, they pop up on the net a day later, but no commercials and no Canadian garbage, its worth it.

God bless Shaw and their 10mbit internet, without them I'd be force to subscribe to their awful SD cable...

For now, I'll just enjoy downloading 720p rips at 1200kb/s :)

#102 · (Edited)
The office for Global TV in Saint John is at the Brunswick Square office tower,
there are several transmitting antennas on the roof of the building.My trip to Bangor for the Super Bowl is looking more doubtful this year.The thought of watching a simsubbed game is disheartening.I may spare myself the agony
and not even watch the game at all.

I HATE SIMSUBBING WITH A PASSION

#103 ·
noaa2000 said:
I HATE SIMSUBBING WITH A PASSION
I can see wanting to watch the Superbowl commercials but other than that day is simsubbing really that big of a deal?

noaa2000 - I belive you said that you don't have HD - if that is the case then you can't complain about audio issues on 5.1 or SD simsubbing over HD broadcasts.

Primarily simsubbing means, at least here in Southern Ontario, that cheesy Buffalo commercials and breathless news updates about "3 alarm blaze in Lackawana" are replaced with slightly less cheesy Canadian commercials. I receive the west coast US channels that are rarely simsubbed and I get all of the Buffalo stations OTA, but other than the last Sunday in January simsubbing is not a big deal, at least not IMHO.

There are much bigger issues with the CRTC - restricting the channels that we see, not forcing cable cos. to give us CableCards, not forcing cable cos. to activate firewire ports, no policy on the transition to digital transmission, etc.

#104 · (Edited)
Simsubbing may not be a big deal to you & I respect your views,
but it is a very big deal for me.I want to see the US channels with the ads - regardless of how stupid or dumb some of them are,and a lot of them are -that I legally pay for every month.
When the price of an HDTV comes down a few hundred more dollars then I will buy one.My other beefs besides simsubs is the denial in Canada of dozens of channels that are blacklisted & banned outright from being shown in this country & the fereral law against subscribing to US Satellite TV.The issues you have concerns about,cable cards, firewalls,are all valid ones & it is good that someone such as yourself takes issues with these concerns.I admit to you though never heard of cable cards or firewalls,just being honest,there is no disrespect.
This is a free country - sort of,and you should not be told what you can or cannot watch on televison.

#105 ·
noaa2000 said:
My other beefs besides simsubs is the denial in Canada of dozens of other channels that are blacklisted & banned outright from being shown in this country & the law against subscribing to US satellite TV.
This is a free country - sort of ,and you should not be told what you can or cannot watch on televison.
I agree with you 100% on those points. As I said above - let your views be known to your local MP, especially if she/he is a Conservative. Perhaps they will change the law - it would tick off a lot of people, but they weren't afraid of offending people when they changed the taxation rules on income trusts.

#106 ·
You have to keep in mind when dealing with Superbowl commercials that Canadian companies should be allowed to buy a spot for half a mil if not more to be shown.

It is a left wing way of thinking and i'm slapping myself for it but I personnally think its fair. Besides you can always watch the Superbowl commercials on Sportscentre the next day, or watch them online.

#108 ·
NOAA:

Are you getting Global Simsubs on shows like NBC's "Heroes" and that kind of thing? Because we NEVER get simsubbed on entertainment shows with Rogers up here. It's actually a big reason that I left ExpressVu -- they simsubbed everything because they own CTV.

Simsubbing burns me too .. A LOT. But I swear to you last year I watched the Superbowl on my own TV without simsubs. I saw the American commercials and the works.

J

#109 ·
lajohn27

They simsubbed everything here,TV shows included,at least on my televison they do.Now someone in Saint John who has digital cable,or satellite TV,
maybe they don't have simsubbing.

Should look into subscribing the US satellite TV,sure it's illegal,but so are a lot of other things in this
so-called democratic country.

#111 ·
I should have said in Saint John,Rogers simsubs everything,at least on my TV at home,whenever Global or CTV request them to simsub.

Went online to check US satellite companys DirectTV & Dish Network to see what they have for their subscribers.Their channel packages they offer are vastly way more superior than anything that is offered to customers of satellite TV companys in this country.Damn CRTC!!!! these miserable little
Anti-American creeps ruin everything!!!!These idiots also won't even allow NASA TV to be broadcast in Canada,the reason they say,that there isn't enough canadian content on the channel.SCREW YOU CTRC AND SCREW YOUR DAMN CANADIAN CONTENT RULES TOO!!!!!!!!!! Fortunately though
I can go online to watch the channel there.

#113 ·
Here is something interesting to know about the government dictators who control television in this country.They have a lot in common with the communist dictators who control North Korea.If you are caught listening to any and all foreign radio broadcast in that country,you will be arrested, imprisoned and maybe sentence to death for treason.In Canada if your caught watching US Satellite TV,you will be arrested,maybe imprisoned & who knows maybe they will find a way to impose the death penalty for treason too.

Nice to know Canada has so much in common with North Korea.

#114 ·
I totally agree, I actually wrote a letter to the CRTC Tiltles A Canadian Dictatorship, never heard back.

I thought we were free to choose and do what we want within the laws, and there isn't a law that I have to watch only canadian commercials.

I do not think there is even one Canadian Show I enjoy, not even HNIC, I prefer an american feed.

#116 ·
If you think their doing a great job,then you are certainly in the minority view here in this forum.We want our US TV access unrestricted.The FCC may not be angels,but neither is the CRTC who has destroyed the right to choose what you can watch and a government who threatens to put you in prison if you dare watch US Satellite TV.That is not how a democracy should work.

#117 ·
Destroyed the right to choose what you can watch? Get real, there is more availabilty of foreign programming here than anywhere else I've ever seen! Or at any time in this history of this country.

And there's certainly no restriction on accessing US television. Unlike many countries, you are quite free to put up a TV antenna to receive a TV signal from across the border. That act would have you in jail in North Korea. In some others, you'd have to pay a fee.

And, I make ask - can you name a single person who has ever done jail time for watching US satellite TV?

I don't see the need to unnecessarily slander an organization that seems quite progressive compared to the rest of the world.

#118 ·
You are free to make remarks as to why you hate the CRTC, and likewise the opposite. However, personal questions to other posters pertaining to such should be held in check.

In other words, stay ON-TOPIC and keep it CIVIL and save your fury for your posts re: the CRTC, not each other.

#119 ·
CRTC is doing a great job!!! No need to have fury against them.

On most of these issues, it is the broadcasters themselves are to blame. The broadcasters have tried to block foreign broadcasts, because it cuts into their add revenue. In most countries, they have succeeded in doing this. Canada (unlike the USA) is one of the rare exceptions, where foreign broadcasts can not be blacked out. The CRTC are protecting the rights of the people, against the corporations. And while they certainly find a balance between the two, they are far more progressive than most countries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.