Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

The Official I Hate The CRTC Thread

230K views 593 replies 225 participants last post by  Nora mcloughlin docherty 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to The Official I hate the CRTC Thread!

Since so many members take it upon themselves to complain about the CRTC, especially in threads that have nothing to with the CRTC, we thought we would create this thread.

Rules of the Forum say that we delete threads or posts that say this company sucks or that person sucks or the government sucks because they servce no purpose and seldom add any value, however, we are going to wave that rule in this thread!

(Please note that legitimate complaints that actually describe customer service problems and point out potential issues and/or solutions, warn people of legitimate issues, or engage people in meaningful discussion are always welcome in all forums!)

But back to the CRTC.

Here's your chance to let it out! and even say things like "the crtc sucks!"

So here it is, the place to bash the CRTC and not have your post deleted!

(of course the bulk of the rules of this forum still apply here!)

Hope you Enjoy!

See less See more
#66 ·
I am in the USA this weekend and I love it. Part of having a suite at the hotel I am at, is I get full digital cable (not just analog but a receiver to), and boy am I enjoying Comedy Central, E!, HBO, Showtime, etc. From the few hours I have watched these channels I have to say they blow the Canadian networks away (Comedy Network, Star!, Movie Central, TMN, etc.)

If these Canadian version should have to show all the new originals of there US counterpart, and the rest of the space - fill it up with Cancon! But give me all the US originals on the US version!! AND especially in tune with the same date and time!

#67 ·
Lets look at the comedy network. Most of their programming is comedy central series plus cheers, everybody loves raymond, simpson, king of the hill. Very little would meet cancon regulation. Which begs to wonder why bother having such regulation. Of those canadian programs all air on other ctv channels. That cross station scheduling nonsense.

Chum doing same thing as canwest does. I find it really pathetic of the networks to do and the crtc to allow. Along with the regional ads that shaw and rogers insert over top of ads on channels like cnn and tbs. Crtc claims to value open competition but instead demonstrates they prefer to force everyone to only watch canwest, ctv, cbc and chum channels.

#69 ·
The CRTC is responsible from holding back US Broadcast networks from going digital on cable....?

And TJK, the comedy network just repeats the CTV originals, like Corner Gas, Comedy Inc, and then they pick up some CBC ones like, 22 minutes, Royal Air Farce..

How do they get away taking programming on a different network putting on a specialty channell.....

#70 · (Edited)
The comedy network is only one example of the pathetic cross platform scheduling. One series airing on all ctv stations including comedy network. Chum airs the same series on space, city, and a channel. What is the point of having specialty channels when will find the same series airing on 3 channels at 6 different times on each channel daily.

CRTC claims want more local programming and limit foreign networks. However they are allowing more foreign networks to air.

CRTC claims don't interfere with cable companies but they dictate what can air and what cannot.

#72 ·
I honestly hate Canadian specialty channels for that exact reason TJK.

Citytv for example:

Star TV - on Star! - also E! True Hollywood Story world debuts.
SexTV - on SexTV
Battle Star Galictica - also on Space
MuchOnDemand - also on Much Music
E! THS is also multi-platformed as a MuchMusic filler!
etc.

I get all the worthy shows for my watch already on Citytv!

CTV cross platform...

MTV Live - MTV
Daily Show - Comedy Net show on CTV
Colber Repor - Comedy Net show on CTV
Corner Gas (not sure who that show belongs to, Comedy or CTV) is on Comedy Net.

etc.

If they multiplatform these shows I am never going to order those specialty channels... whats the point?

#73 ·
As for corner gas that is a ctv series. A cheap dull copy of northern exposure. I wasn't all that impressed with that one either. Comedy network is part of ctv. Anything on ctv or comedy network will appear on the other.

City, A channel, Much Music, Much More Music, Star all air the same series. City will air battlestar galactica and supernatural because both are popular on Space. Space should be the only one showing both. Space doesn't have enough sci fi and can't afford to spread what have on other chum stations.

Much Music and Much More Music where do I begin. What the heck is the point of 2 channels airing the exact same programming.

As for mtvcan. It is nothing but talktv with a new name. There is nothing mtv about that channel. Also their excuse for not airing music videos is the biggest pile of stinky manure.

#74 ·
They couldn't air music as it would be in "competition" with MuchMusic. And of course we can never have competition in our anti-capitialist TV industry.

Anyways the US version of MTV doesn't air much music (notice the pun) either except for premiers or hit videos. The music airs on MTV2 in the USA.

We need a whole transformation of the MTV, Much Music thing up here. With some VH1 and MTV 2 maybe...

#75 ·
Well that is line of manure spouted by ctv to explain why won't show music vids on mtvca. Don't want to compete with chum - garbage ! I remember when much more music started I figured ok they will play the videos much music not. However soon neither were playing much in terms of videos. Like as you said mtv and mtv2.

All I see on much more music is reality programs. Both take turns airing same talk and documentary programs.

I just learned that life network is changing its name. Will be splice. Never good sign when a network does that. Look at prime now tvtroplis. Also spike used to be tnn. When a network changes its name means they are not doing well.

#77 · (Edited)
According to global is the life network here. Although likely be both.

Life like hgtv, w, spike, tvtropolis, tbs in different ways not doing well. Spike has a problem knowing what region is watching what. They will put up the next graphic for the shield on the west coast but that is not what airs. Lately the weekly schedule keeps changing each week.

tvtropolis still as pathetic as when was prime. The new name brought with it repeats of past survivor and reality shows that had finished a couple of years ago. Yet they promote as being new episodes. I am at least very grateful they dropped price is right. I don't need to see stupid trailer trash contestants guessing the price of a 79 pinto.

Life and hgtv like so many others airing reality shows with one bizarre concept after another to try to keep to their specialty theme.

At least space has manage to keep their theme but they are stuck airing series dating back to 80s and 90s that weren't that great back then. They are stuck with a very pathetic one - house of frightenstein. All of us on the space forums convince space to move the series to the wee hours of the mornings.

w not doing well for one reason it is a corus station and corus is controlled by shaw. Shaw and corus has done to w what have done to cknw.

crtc been so preoccupied insisting on cancon programming haven't noticed that what is on the air stinks. After cancon crtc nothing but a lap dog for shaw and rogers. Let them do whatever want to screw their customers.

#78 ·
Right on! I almost had a hernia laughing at the Gemini awards. Trying to be original with Debbie Travis and that idiot George Snuffleupogous. Do they not get that Canadians hate Canadian programming?

I remember in my teens we would be searching the IPG at home and 'info' it and my mom would always say "Canadian sh**, next" She could tell without watching it.. Canadians watch American programming. ET gets more Canadian viewers than ET Canada, E-talk, or Star!.

Its too pathetic...

#79 ·
You are the only one to watch the geminis. Although the emmys, oscars, tonys, grammys have all been doing poorly lately. I have heard rumblings that the recent emmys and oscars did really bad. Jon Stewart as host of oscars couldn't save the show. Emmys wouldn't take long because there is hardly any drama or comedies to award. A lot of dead air to fill.

It is time for all the reality shows to go away far far away. The concepts are getting sillier and sillier. Also what is with those stupid game shows - you bet your ass and inside the box. (excuse me while I go and puke)

#84 ·
Growing up in the 80's as a kid, I quickly noticed that many shows would be interrupted, including the Smurfs on NBC by Global. Yes, even the Smurfs were not immune to the CRTC rules.
Then I really started disliking simsubbing as I got older in the 90's, especially interruptions of US primetime sitcoms. The worst were interruptions of the NBA on NBC by CrapTV (CTV) as well. I got so angry that I sent them several threatening emails to CrapTV.
These days, it's the interruption of the HD networks on Rogers that is starting to make my blood boil. There is no way this should be happening. We definitely should be allowed to watch the original US network without seeing Global or CrapTV on our screens.
I'm just glad I'm not the only one that finds simsubbing irritating and annoying behond comprehension. It's been great reading all these stories about everyone else and how much it bothers them when their US network is hijacked. It almost makes me want to move to the US to simply watch uninterrupted TV - I thought it was a crazy notion to even think of, but then I read the story about going to watch the SuperBowl in a US motel, and I realized I'm not the only one thinking on this wavelength.
Simsubbing had got to stop, no questions about it.

#85 · (Edited)
Hey Stan

I'm the one who is forced to go the US to watch the Super Bowl every year in a motel room for I don't have a choice anymore.I had become damn sick and tired of the CRTC ruining Super Bowl Sunday by forcing people here to watch the same old crappy ads from Canadian Tire or McCains Pizza while Americans, some of whom are my friends who live there,can watch those amazing $2,000,000
30 second ads that have beome part of the game.This little trip of mine cost me about $300.00
every year - rental car & motel room cost - but since 2005,
I can now watch the game in peace and quiet,far away from the CRTC dictators.Simsubbing is only just one of the many reasons that I really do want to live in the United States.

#86 ·
Just be glad you don't have to deal with the FCC! Their antics after that Janet Jackson Super Bowl appearance were insane. FCC is far more restrictive than CRTC.

Besides ... it's only an ad. I'm not a American Football fan (why do they call the game football, when most of them never use their feet?) ... but if the game is that dull, that your watching it for the ads ... why not havine someone record the broadcast, cut out the game, and just watch the ads?

#87 · (Edited)
I am not the only one bitching about simsubbing,please read the pages of complaints on here from persons who are also absolutely fed up & pissed off at the CRTC dictators with their total control over television.
The major beef that we have all stated on this site - some more well written than I could ever compose - is this,that we pay our cable company a monthly bill to watch the US channels,including the commericals,only to have them "taken over" by Global; or CTV,in other words,we are being denied the
US channels we have legally paid for.If I want to watch the Super Bowl or any other American program on ABC,NBC,CBS, and FOX,I should be allowed to watch them on an American channel,but am being denied my rights as a paying customer by the CRTC. THAT IS THE MAJOR PROBLEM.
When it comes to television in Canada,there is no freedom of choice.You are even denied,under the penalty of arrest & imprisonment,from subscribing to any US based Satellite companys.Why do some persons though risk breaking that law & subscribe anyway,that is a simple answer:
BEACUSE CANADIAN TELEVISION STINKS!!!!!!!!!!
I've been in the US many times & seen satellite tv there,there is a hell of a lot more better quality channels on there.Satellite TV here doesn't even come close to matching the programming on Direct TV or Dish Network.
Getting back to the problem of simsubbing.This outrage has to end once &
for all!! Until this happens,I will be going to the US for Super Bowl Sunday for many years into the future.

#88 ·
Sure, simsubbing sucks. But that doesn't make CRTC a dictator! Would you prefer we had the FCC? Their solution, instead of simsubbing, is to simply black-out the signal. And they let cable companies do it if the show is running on a distant channel in any timeslot! So you can't even change the channel.

Would this American-style solution be preferable?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.