Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

The Official I Hate The CRTC Thread

230K views 593 replies 225 participants last post by  Nora mcloughlin docherty 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to The Official I hate the CRTC Thread!

Since so many members take it upon themselves to complain about the CRTC, especially in threads that have nothing to with the CRTC, we thought we would create this thread.

Rules of the Forum say that we delete threads or posts that say this company sucks or that person sucks or the government sucks because they servce no purpose and seldom add any value, however, we are going to wave that rule in this thread!

(Please note that legitimate complaints that actually describe customer service problems and point out potential issues and/or solutions, warn people of legitimate issues, or engage people in meaningful discussion are always welcome in all forums!)

But back to the CRTC.

Here's your chance to let it out! and even say things like "the crtc sucks!"

So here it is, the place to bash the CRTC and not have your post deleted!

(of course the bulk of the rules of this forum still apply here!)

Hope you Enjoy!

See less See more
#27 ·
I had also mention to CRTC that had filed reports about Shaw disreputable behavior and price gouging with CSC, BBB, and competition bureau. The latter mentioned forwarding report to civil matters department to follow up. The CSC and BBB said to me that CRTC is to regulate Shaw in matters of service quality and pricing. CRTC said don't get involved with anything Shaw does. The CSC said they forward all complaints that they get about Shaw back to CRTC because Shaw not a member of the CSC and the CRTC is to regulate them. I smell something pretty bad and criminal.

As for CBC productions they haven't done anything good since Street Legal. They also lost olympic coverage to CTV and TSN. Also after their recent labour dispute I am wondering how many people even knew the CBC wasn't on the air. It is like that old saying if a tree fell in the forest and no one there to see did it fall. If the CBC disappear from the air waves would anyone know.

I don't watch any channels on the basic channel schedule, and only a handful of specialty channels. I can count on one hand. There is no digital specialty channel that is worth the added cost. Listening to fm stations on the tv is the biggest waste of money and the stupidest thing Shaw/Rogers ever came up with. Also if think I would trust them with VOIP you are crazy.

#28 ·
Just Wondering?

About six years ago, I read several articles in the local newspapers, and it was also on the TV news, about a Multipoint Distribution System (MDS) that a company called Look Communications wished to install in the Lower Mainland, Vancouver Island, and the Interior of B.C. Incidentally, Look had several MDS sytems up and running in Ontario and Quebec, at the time, so they knew what they were doing!
Basically, it works by receiving TV signals mostly from satellite and fibre optical cable and then re-broadcasts them via microwave to subscribers' homes which pick up the signal with a small dish and a set top box. It is often referred to as: "Wireless Cable."
Thinking this was a novel idea, I bought a few shares in the company and also intended to be a customer once the system was up and running. Everything seemed to be on track until Craig Broadcasting submitted a competing application.
On July 6, 2000 the CRTC granted the MDS licence to Craig and I haven't heard a word about it since! Why does the CRTC allow a company to abandon or not fulfill their commitment without some kind of penalty? Or at least give the "losing" companies the licence when it becomes obvious that the winning company is not going to go ahead with the project?:confused:

#29 ·
Notwithstanding our view on liberalization of access outside our borders, the UN (or more correctly UNESCO) is meeting on this very same item this week.

It appears that today this will go to a vote that will alienate the U.S. and insist on differentiation between free trade versus protection of individual nation's cultural diversity.

The U.S. is against this and given that they support 22% of UNESCO's overall funding, this could become another symposium where everyone feels good about what they accomplished yet find that it becomes an ineffective policy. It may also create friction between UNESCO and it's key supporting nation.

Condelozza Rice has already given the Whitehouse's position - they proposed 14 amendments that were rejected by the member nations. Washington is not pleased.

Here's a link that was posted earlier this week regarding the U.S. persepective. Not surprising in that they have a multi Trillion dollar interest in global trade.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/13/arts/13unes.html

In the end, we will probably see no change. The CRTC will use this as ammunition within our borders to "protect our culture" and bleed this over into justification for limiting access to foreign content.

The U.S. will continue to insist that they have an inherent right to continue to broaden their reach through economic globalization.

Personally I have no problem in additional support to boost culture within our borders yet not at the expense of limiting access to information outside our borders.

UNESCO puts this to a vote today in Paris at the CCD (Convention for Cultural Diversity.)

#30 ·
Well with all the effort to force more people to watch CTV, Global, and CBC. Has it helped.

There report that CTV at the top of the ratings over other networks. However not for local programming and restrictive content rules. Shows like CSI, Law and Order what allowing networks to get an audience. It means that content requirements and signal substitution is nonsense and not making any difference.

I heard not that long ago Showcase ratings has increase but only during the times they have CSI and CSI Miami on. Alliance which owns Showcase has managed the network horribly. It suppose to be network with international programs. All have is the CSIs and HBO programs. Their commericals nothing but local garbage. Canadian Tire, Maple Leaf foods. During CSI they have the most promos for their other programs.

#31 ·
Honestly, I don't know what you all are complaining about.

It could be worse ... we could be subject to the FCC ... which:

Bans swearing, and even the briefest of nudity, even in the middle of the night.

Requires the blackout of distant locals if requested by local stations.

Doesn't allow timeshifted OTA networks like ABC, CBS, NBC ...

Nick

#32 ·
But in the USA, they can openly subscribe to ExpressVu (well, keeping their address secret from Bell perhaps...) without fear of jack-booted, brown-shirted, CRTC thugs descending from silently-hovering black helicopters in the middle of the night(*).

(*slight exaggeration...)

#34 ·
The FCC and CRTC both beyond contempt. I have no respect for either. Both take orders from power brokers at the expense of the public. Cable and satellite companies pay off the CRTC. However as I have pointed out cable companies are stakeholders (not shareholders) in satellite businesses.

Yes the FCC is a bit worse with their language regulations. When a religious zealot complains or politicos with religious agendas FCC imposes a fine or force a radio station or tv station to fire the offender and hire call screeners. Open line talk shows are a joke now. All the calls are scripted.

The CRTC also guilty of the same. Remember the Quebec radio station that had its license revoke, and MOJO in Vancouver that change its format after complaints over certain talk show.

#35 ·
Sick of Poor TV programming....sign this petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/15426894/petition.html

To: Canadian Government and CRTC
Have you ever watched an American television program?

If you own a satellite system or have Cable, the answer is of course. Did you know that there are literally hundreds of American and other foreign television channels that are purposely made "unavailable" to you by the Canadian Government and CRTC?

Do you own a small satellite system (DirecTV or Dish Network) or a big C-band dish? Did you know that your government and other parties with a vested interest (Bell Expressvu, Starchoice, Cable Companies) have made it illegal to receive ANY foreign television transmissions that have not been approved or sanctioned by them?

The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in April that federal broadcasting law prohibits Canadians from gaining access to direct-to-home satellite TV signals from providers other than Toronto-based Bell ExpressVu LP — a unit of Bell Canada — and Star Choice Communications Inc. of Calgary.

Under existing Canadian laws, users of so-called grey-market satellite dishes — people who PAY for a U.S.-based satellite service — face up to one year in jail, or a $5,000 fine. Firms found guilty of the same offence face a $25,000 fine. This includes the big C-band dishes (that Canadians have had since the 1970's) as well.

The CRTC and governments have taken it upon themselves to decide what is okay for you to watch and what you can't. The CRTC's so called "white list" contains all the American and International channels that can be distributed in Canada. And all the other channels that aren't on it are forbidden to you as we, as Canadians, are obviously considered too dumb by our government to choose for ourselves what we should watch and so the decision is made for us like we are a bunch of preschoolers.

The channels that are on the "white list" are the ones that are available on cablevision. There are literally hundreds of channels that our governments say are "illegal" to watch and discourage us from disobeying them by slapping our wrists and declaring that Canadians watching "grey market" TV are lawbreakers!

If we have the ability to watch a program on television and we want to watch it in the privacy of our own home, then we should be able to do so! Without any governments or corporations declaring us a lawbreaker!

Silly me I was also under the impression that we lived in a free country, but that also is proving to be a fallacy.

I agree with the fact that Canadian companies have paid big money to acquire the broadcasting rights of some of the American companies, but the last time I checked, viewership was a privilege not a right, and if these Canadian companies want us to watch their programming instead, then they should do so by making it worth watching! And not because we are forced to!

We do not need government minions and functionaries to decide what television my children and family can watch.

This "Big Brother" attitude must be curbed here! Or it will set a precedent for other things! If this continues one day it may be illegal to read anything other than Canadian magazines or books.

Another factor to consider is they seem to be ignoring completely the Supreme law of Canada, The Canadian Constitution!!

Here is a related excerpt:

Section 52: The Constitution is the supreme law of Canada, and any law that is inconsistent with the provisions of the constitution is, to the extent of the inconsistency, of no force or effect.

Section 2

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a)Freedom of conscience and religion;

(b)Freedom of thought, belief opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other means of communication;

(c)Freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d)Freedom of association.

Perhaps our government feels that they are not subject to constitutional provisions. You be the judge. Clearly they are trying to discourage International competition, protecting the cable monopolies and hiding it behind "Canadian Culture" excuses.

We have spent the last 40 years telling the Russians it was immoral to block broadcasts but yet our government is doing the exact same thing here in Canada!

As "free" people, Canadians should have the right to choose what we watch in the privacy of our homes. We should not be forced to watch CBC simply because a government agency has decided that CBC is better than USA network and so USA network is purposely made unavailable to you.

After the Supreme Court of Canada ruling in April, 500,000 - 700,000 Canadians were instantly turned into criminal’s because of what they watch on their TV's in the privacy of their own homes.

A country deemed to be the gold standard for multiculturalism makes it a crime for immigrants to watch programming in their own language, unless it's provided by the two government-sanctioned purveyors of satellite TV -- Bell ExpressVu and Star Choice

The Supreme Court's ruling against "grey market" satellite TV operators has put Canada in the fine company of North Korea and Iraq. Yet, while Ottawa is cracking down on foreign satellite signals, even Iran has reformed its Mad Mullah ban on satellite dishes.

Sign this petition to show our Government that this "Big Brother" attitude will NOT be tolerated! Let the people decide what they want to watch WITHOUT government intervention. To be free includes freedom of choice!

Be sure to pass this on to every Canadian you know.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

#45 · (Edited)
http://www.petitiononline.com/15426894/petition.html

To: Canadian Government and CRTC
Have you ever watched an American television program?

If you own a satellite system or have Cable, the answer is of course. Did you know that there are literally hundreds of American and other foreign television channels that are purposely made "unavailable" to you by the Canadian Government and CRTC?

Do you own a small satellite system (DirecTV or Dish Network) or a big C-band dish? Did you know that your government and other parties with a vested interest (Bell Expressvu, Starchoice, Cable Companies) have made it illegal to receive ANY foreign television transmissions that have not been approved or sanctioned by them?

The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in April that federal broadcasting law prohibits Canadians from gaining access to direct-to-home satellite TV signals from providers other than Toronto-based Bell ExpressVu LP — a unit of Bell Canada — and Star Choice Communications Inc. of Calgary.

Under existing Canadian laws, users of so-called grey-market satellite dishes — people who PAY for a U.S.-based satellite service — face up to one year in jail, or a $5,000 fine. Firms found guilty of the same offence face a $25,000 fine. This includes the big C-band dishes (that Canadians have had since the 1970's) as well.

The CRTC and governments have taken it upon themselves to decide what is okay for you to watch and what you can't. The CRTC's so called "white list" contains all the American and International channels that can be distributed in Canada. And all the other channels that aren't on it are forbidden to you as we, as Canadians, are obviously considered too dumb by our government to choose for ourselves what we should watch and so the decision is made for us like we are a bunch of preschoolers.

The channels that are on the "white list" are the ones that are available on cablevision. There are literally hundreds of channels that our governments say are "illegal" to watch and discourage us from disobeying them by slapping our wrists and declaring that Canadians watching "grey market" TV are lawbreakers!

If we have the ability to watch a program on television and we want to watch it in the privacy of our own home, then we should be able to do so! Without any governments or corporations declaring us a lawbreaker!

Silly me I was also under the impression that we lived in a free country, but that also is proving to be a fallacy.

I agree with the fact that Canadian companies have paid big money to acquire the broadcasting rights of some of the American companies, but the last time I checked, viewership was a privilege not a right, and if these Canadian companies want us to watch their programming instead, then they should do so by making it worth watching! And not because we are forced to!

We do not need government minions and functionaries to decide what television my children and family can watch.

This "Big Brother" attitude must be curbed here! Or it will set a precedent for other things! If this continues one day it may be illegal to read anything other than Canadian magazines or books.

Another factor to consider is they seem to be ignoring completely the Supreme law of Canada, The Canadian Constitution!!

Here is a related excerpt:

Section 52: The Constitution is the supreme law of Canada, and any law that is inconsistent with the provisions of the constitution is, to the extent of the inconsistency, of no force or effect.

Section 2

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a)Freedom of conscience and religion;

(b)Freedom of thought, belief opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other means of communication;

(c)Freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d)Freedom of association.

Perhaps our government feels that they are not subject to constitutional provisions. You be the judge. Clearly they are trying to discourage International competition, protecting the cable monopolies and hiding it behind "Canadian Culture" excuses.

We have spent the last 40 years telling the Russians it was immoral to block broadcasts but yet our government is doing the exact same thing here in Canada!

As "free" people, Canadians should have the right to choose what we watch in the privacy of our homes. We should not be forced to watch CBC simply because a government agency has decided that CBC is better than USA network and so USA network is purposely made unavailable to you.

After the Supreme Court of Canada ruling in April, 500,000 - 700,000 Canadians were instantly turned into criminal’s because of what they watch on their TV's in the privacy of their own homes.

A country deemed to be the gold standard for multiculturalism makes it a crime for immigrants to watch programming in their own language, unless it's provided by the two government-sanctioned purveyors of satellite TV -- Bell ExpressVu and Star Choice

The Supreme Court's ruling against "grey market" satellite TV operators has put Canada in the fine company of North Korea and Iraq. Yet, while Ottawa is cracking down on foreign satellite signals, even Iran has reformed its Mad Mullah ban on satellite dishes.

Sign this petition to show our Government that this "Big Brother" attitude will NOT be tolerated! Let the people decide what they want to watch WITHOUT government intervention. To be free includes freedom of choice!

Be sure to pass this on to every Canadian you know.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned
I hate the CRTC and their miserable simsub rule!!!!!!!!! This law has forced me every year to book a motel room in a US Border State in order to watch the Super Bowl there so I can see the those great
TV ads during the game.
There is no democracy in Canadian television.I pay my cable bill to be able to watch American channels only to have them taken over by CTV or Global.This yearly trip of mine cost me money,
but I refuse to be ruled by those communist dictators at the CRTC anymore during Super Bowl Sunday.

#36 ·
Even though there's some inaccuracies, I still agree with you in spirit.

But I'm not going to sign the petition. If people *really* want to see things change they need to figure out which politicians and political parties will or won't influence such changes, then do whatever they can to influence that in the election we've been promised is coming.

#37 ·
Well after I sent another report to the CRTC this time about how their requirements and regulations has destroyed am and fm stations I got a reply which like their response about signal sub and the regional ad inserts they don't admit the real reason do it. For local content.

They say don't regulate radio stations. Again I responded to that by saying that is a line of garbage which in no way anyone would fall for. For example the Quebec radio station they shut down and MOJO Vancouver that was force to change its format.

Why is it they can't admit to providing more local content. Why do they say don't regulate when they clearly do. Why do they think we will not see that they are lying.

#39 ·
New Government may mean neutering CRTC

The best way to get rid of the past rulings by the Liberal controls over the CRTC is to write to your local member of government, especially those of you who are not in the GTA.
We have all experienced the way the Liberals have been treating you the consumer with bad legislation and even worse rules by the unelected patronage appointments to the CRTC. We must all put our collective grievances forward to the new guy on the block Mr. Harper.
Some of the listings are suggesting that with a minority government he may not want to address our grievances but if you don't write to your local MP and air you dissatisfaction with the way the CRTC has been doing business you will get the same treatment in the future until the new government takes the CRTC to task. Send an email to your friends and demand changes to the CRTC, and your friends email their friends. Send a message to your local MP once he or she gets into office.
Let's all band together and get rid of the steel-curtain that denies American satellite service from coming into Canada. Let's stop cable companies from sim-subbing our television channels with no redress back to us the consumer. We've paid for those channels that the cable companies substitute over and no Liberal government would address it for us the consumer.
Let's all make it clear that the CRTC is useful for ensuring that child pornography doesn't get onto our airwaves and cables lines. But they are not their to promote unfair business tactics that have been used against us the consumer.

#40 ·
There seems to be some confusion between three mostly unrelated issues. The first being commercial substitution, the second being show substitution and the third being governmental protectionism of the TV industry.

Commercial Substitution

This is common practice worldwide and isn't a Canadian phenomenon at all. The content providers want this to happen so that they can re-sell the same air time all over the world to local advertisers instead of to a handful of US companies operating where the content is created. It greatly increases the overall advertising revenue and yet keeps the regional costs low enough that companies who would be unable to advertise on TV at all can purchase air time for just Canada instead of the whole world. The overall breadth of advertising is wider, by far, than if the US commercials were broadcast with the shows to everyone world wide.

The CRTC enforces this, but the providers do the commercial insertion locally, and the rules governing it were created by the Canadian government. The content creation industry generally supports this scheme as it greatly increases the overall advertising revenue for a given show, even if a portion of the overall revenue is diverted locally to the providers doing the insertion. If the CRTC disappeared, this would undoubtedly continue because it is a win-win for local providers, the gov't (taxes) and the content creators (who get a cut of the local ad money).

Show Substitution

This occurs because there are national broadcasting laws for every country in the world. Buying the US broadcasting rights does not automatically mean you get the Canadian rights, Swedish rights or Argentinian rights. Show substitution happens in Canada, usually, because a Canadian affiliate of a US broadcaster (MTV Canada, for example) brings in the entire US feed without verifying if the Canadian rights have been secured for every show prior to bringing in the feed. Rather than block the whole channel from airing, the CRTC allows broadcasters to feed in rights-secured shows to replace those whose Canadian rights have not been secured. This happens quite often with certain US channels (MTV, TBS) who just couldn't care less about Canada and securing the Canadian rights to a show.

The CRTC enforces this within Canada, but this is a worldwide phenomenon (again), so removing the CRTC isn't going to stop it, just divert the responsibility to a new government agency that would do the same job. No country is going to open up free reign to its airwaves and the content creators really don't want them to. Why would they sell worldwide rights to a broadcaster once when they could resell those rights to smaller broadcasters in every country in the world? Who could afford worldwide rights other than a small handful of multinational corporations?

The substitutions are made by the local provider (cableco or sat. provider) under the direction of the affiliate in question and are monitored by the CRTC. It is up to the broadcaster, ultimately, to secure the rights for the areas they want to broadcast in, so if you want to complain about the practice, complain to the broadcaster. If they were on the ball, legally, nothing would have to be substituted.

Industry Protection

This is the only legitimate complaint about the CRTC, in my opinion. Minimum Canadian content rules, the line at the border vs. US satellite companies, etc. seem like stupid rules on the face of it. Nevertheless, all the CANCON content in the world is a better solution than to deal with the content creators directly. If you think that the CRTC is dictatorial when it comes to content, do some reading on Viacom, Disney, Wal-Mart and how those giants use their leverage to control content in the US. Anyone who thinks that the CRTC is evil hasn't been on the wrong side of a Disney lawsuit.

The DMCA is a small taste of what the content providers would like to force down the throats of consumers if they were given free reign. Give them enough rope and they will have us all paying endlessly for time-restricted 'loans' of content which we can't record or share amongst ourselves. Having a permanent copy of something that you can do whatever you want with will be a thing of the past.

So ... yeah, the CRTC sucks, but it isn't responsible for a lot of the stuff people fob off on it. The stuff that it is responsible for aren't really as bad as the alternatives. The only thing I wish they would do would be to allow US satellite companies to operate up here as long as they opened Canadian affiliates, just like they do with broadcasting.

#41 ·
The whole thing should be scrapped. Let Cable/Satellite Providers carry as much American channels as they want. If Canadian TV Nets and Canadian Specialty channels want to survive, they can learn to do it without the protection of the CRTC, the CRTC's purpose is to take away the competition. Look at CTV, Global and CityTV there entire primetime schedule is US shows!!! There Canadian Originals for the most part suck, and they make a few originals and play them over and over to get there cancon, over with. Take a look at how many people (pay monthly bills) get US satellite service... a lot!

#42 ·
Totally Agree with you. I am not going to go listing every show I cannot watch, because of the CRTC, but the whole Movie Central / TMN does not give us every Showtime / HBO series they give us some but not all, I don't get the USA Network, TNT has some really good dramas on this summer (TBS commercials) eg. Saved, The Closer. My Canadian Networks don't broadcast this. And don't say they have it on CH, I don't get CH, CH is not a mandatory network. (globals left over series dumping ground). The Oxygen Network (Oprah's TV channel) I admit I watch Oprah, it's interesting, The Oprah After Show (exclusively on Oxygen) cannot be found on Canadian Channels. I could go on and on, but here in my suggestions.

1) You either provide us with every US series / mini-series / documentaries / etc. on various canadian specialty channels or you give us that US channel we are missing out on.

2) Its annoying when a show on a US specialty network is put on a totally opposite Canadian specialty network
eg. Hogan Knows Best 2 on VH1, which is a lifestyle network is on TVTropolis a old hit series TV channel, I almost wish if they are going to make Canadian versions of US specialty channels they would do it like so:

VH1 Canada (hopefully MuchMusic clan will form into this)
Nick Canada
Disney Canada
TNT Canada
USA Net! Canada
etc.

I have never been a grey-market satellite owner, I have talked to my MP and expressed my concerns, and I am a Conservative voter, usually because they represent my personal morals, but I see them as maybe being a change in the CRTC. I have taken political steps, by contacting different people, looks like nothing will happen for awhile. (Forum's Grey Market Sat. Policy: You can discuss it, but it is not allowed to give help and assistance on actually setting it up) I am considering going Direct-TV for Digital-HD and get basic cable for information purposes. But I will hold out in hope that there will be change. I am not for scrapping the CRTC, I have relatives in the Vancouver acting business, and the Candian Content act get them jobs, but there needs to be an overhaul of the system.

#46 ·
I disagree with Thruxtonian's statement on "commercial substitution". The fact is that it's not only the commercials that are substituted. If it was just that, I wouldn't mind. When simultaneous substitution is performed, EVERYTHING is modified. Most importantly, the show is presented with a logo of a network that has never been involved with the show's production and the previews for the next week's episode are pre-empted.

Also, it's not true that simultaneous substitution is the only way for small local advertisers to get air time. U.S. broadcast networks have a certain number of minutes per hour set aside for local ads. Local advertisers in Montreal use this to their advantage by buying local spots on cross-border affiliates such as WFFF (Fox) in Burlington, VT.

As for the "broadcast rights" issue, regarding the claim that no one other than the multinationals would be able to buy worldwide rights, why won't broadcasters like CTV and Global do like Fox did by making most of the programming shown on their networks in-house with their own studios. That way, shows don't need to be bought and sold. You make it yourself and you show it yourself! If you can't do that, you're useless and you should be put out of business!

#48 ·
I think there should be a rule put in place for the CRTC. If specific American specialty network is not covered sufficiently (all the programs - 90% of the programs) by a Canadian network or Canadian Specialty Channel there should be a motion put forth to have these shows picked up and put on a Canadian Network/Specialty Channel (also: you wouldn't pick up a design show and put it on SexTV the specific genre would have to make sense to the network). Or put out the motion for a new specialty channel. If no one wants to put pick the shows up the American channel is approved and brought into the Cable / Satellite Programming offereings.

Example of my idea:

Oxgen Network (Oprah Harpo Channel) is not sufficiently covered by a Canadian Specialty Network. So there would be a motion put out for possible Canadian buyers. W! Network would fit the genre of Oxgen and if there schedule had room they would be able to pick it up. Or if there is not a current specialty channel available that fits the genre or has no time slots available or doesn't want to pick the shows up than the American feed of the Oxgen Network would be automatically approved.

Unless the CRTC gets there act together and offers Canadian all of the American programming one way or another than people will continue to use grey-market DTV and Dish Network.

---------------------------

Somebody was talking about the sim-subbing how the entire slot of for example desperate housewives on ABC had the local CTV feed put rate over it. I can see how this upsets people. If the local CTV broke down the timeslot with the commercials in-sync with the ABC commercial time-slots they could easily feed the CTV stream during each ABC commercial break. I mean that would make things 100 X easier if CTV during primetime matched there commercial slots exactly to the CBS / ABC / NBC / FOX commercial slots during that show. So they could automatically feed in the commercials.

Honestly though, the only time people actually want to watch commercials are during the big big event where they make 1 time only commercials with celebs during the Super Bowl, and Oscars.

------------------------------

Second thing, would someone experienced in the knowledge of sim-subbing explain what the rules on it are?

My example, I have a cable co (Westman Communications Group) that serves roughly 80 000 people, My local USA Nets (CBS Minneapolis, NBC Minneapolis, ABC Detroit, FOX Rochester) are always the american commercials - I have never experienced simsubbing on any of these networks. My cable co does get there feed of Cancom with could maybe explain this:

TBS, CNN, and few other specialty USA nets are bombarded with SC commercials - I have seen every single SC commercial made:eek: Here in Brandon Manitoba we get our CBC from an affiliate (not CBC owned) which is CKX (unique situation actually, its a CBC affiliate that carries the minimum CBC programming which has lots of CityTV programming and is owned by CHUM now owned by Bell Globalmedia) Would the reason I don't see simsubbing in my region is due to only having 1 local TV station that has very little American Shows (sometimes American Funniest HV or Everybody Hates Chris). I do get CTV, Global, CityTV Winnipeg. Anyways I don't understand how this sim-subbing works - I don't get any of it on my US nets like other people complain about.

#54 ·
Thanks for your support.I also want to say that I'm an NFL fan & am going to the States to watch the game & those great ads that have become part of the Super Bowl.For too many years I stayed home & was forced by the
CRTC dictators to watch the simsub broadcast of the game on Global TV with same old boring ads that are shown throughout the year.Finally in 2004 I had simply had enough & just said,using that famous quote:

"I'M AS MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE"!!!!!!!!!!

I've been watching the game ever since 2005 in a US motel room free at least for the weekend from the CRTC.Such a wonderful feeling to watch the Super Bowl on a US channel with some good food and cold American beer by my side & absolutely no simsubing down there.Yes this is a drastic expensive measure for me to take,but for one weekend out of the year,I refuse to be forced to bend to the will of Canadian censorship.

#55 ·
A lot of people in canada get the grey-market US satellites for non-canadian-ized TV programs - but I have a side question. There is a small but strong amount of Americans that use Canadian satellite co's. I don' think they allow timeshift in the USA (In Canada 90% of the TV stations are owned by the actual network with the exception of a few) The USA is pretty much 80% affiliates and the major networks own stations in NY or LA. So I think regions are only able to broadcast 1 affiliate of a network. So if my thinking on this is correct Star Choice / BEV basic service would be benificial for Timeshifts in Canadian and your Spokane/Seattle & Detroit/Buffalo/Boston.

#56 ·
October 1,2006
Sunday evening

Once again,ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!! the stupid simsub law screws up tv.I was watching 60 Minutes on CBS.The football games delayed the normal 8pm start time of the show.At 9pm Atlantic Time half way through the show the simsub kicks in & CTV overrides the CBS feed & the Amazing Race is now being shown there.I MISSED THE LAST HALF HOUR OF 60 MINUTES ALL BECAUSE OF THE CRTC AND THEIR GODDAM RULES!!!!!!!!We have to do something to get this censorship outrage to end or were going to eventually lose all the
US stations in Canada if the CRTC communists have their way.

#57 ·
Wow your angry - as you should be. They should not have done that. If it cuts into a CBS show not offered on another Canadian channel in the region - which 60 minutes is not available anywhere but CBS. If CBS is late due to a sporting event which the canadian network that usually simsubs that timeslots does not carry that sporting event, there should be no simsubbing.

Luckily for me my cable co isn't important enough to simsub my CBS Minneapolis, NBC Mineapolis, ABC Detroit, & FOX Rochester.

Anyways that shouldn't have happened - cutting into a program not offered by another Canadian network. Damn CRTC.

#58 ·
I sent a copy of the open letter that begins To the CRTC and government of Canada to the CRTC.

It is amazing the CRTC will say have deregulated what Shaw and Rogers do. However shaw and rogers will say they follow the regulations of the crtc.

It seems as though both of them have paid off the crtc to look the other way. The crtc will focus on destroying the telecoms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.