Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

The Official I Hate The CRTC Thread

230K views 593 replies 225 participants last post by  Nora mcloughlin docherty 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to The Official I hate the CRTC Thread!

Since so many members take it upon themselves to complain about the CRTC, especially in threads that have nothing to with the CRTC, we thought we would create this thread.

Rules of the Forum say that we delete threads or posts that say this company sucks or that person sucks or the government sucks because they servce no purpose and seldom add any value, however, we are going to wave that rule in this thread!

(Please note that legitimate complaints that actually describe customer service problems and point out potential issues and/or solutions, warn people of legitimate issues, or engage people in meaningful discussion are always welcome in all forums!)

But back to the CRTC.

Here's your chance to let it out! and even say things like "the crtc sucks!"

So here it is, the place to bash the CRTC and not have your post deleted!

(of course the bulk of the rules of this forum still apply here!)

Hope you Enjoy!

See less See more
#5 ·
There is no doubt that the CRTC is rotten to the core. All one has to do is look at the "Today's Releases" for the past month.

What have these Liberal party ex carpetbaggers been doing? Nothing more than extending the launch dates for approved but never launched Category 2 channels. Some of these never launched channels were approved as far back as 2000. They will never be launched as no provider will ever pick them up in a 1000 years.

Yet the HDNet and Discovery applications just keep gathering dust. Remember all the interventions that DHC members posted. The CRTC is a complete waste of the taxpayers money - just another example of rampant Liberal party corruption.

BTW notice how I didn't mention that ex BCE lawyer, now CRTC Chairman Charles Dalfren, didn't excuse himself from the satellite radio approval process - even though he used to sit on the Board of Directors of Sirius.

#6 ·
I was thinking about Much Music this morning and the demise of MTV canada...
Basically we dont have a realy MTV or VH1 because CRTC wont allow it. This is to protect the fragile MM channel....
BUT, if MM is so fragile that it cant take competition, why has CHUM been able to sell the MM format to other countries??? If i am not wrong there is a Mexican version of MM and there are some euro versions of it also... If the format is strong enough to be exported, why is it not strong enough to withstand competition in Canada????????

#7 ·
In MTV's case the CRTC can't be blamed. It was allowed to Canada and existed for 4 years, I think. MTV USA decided to withdraw its brand name after CHUM purchased thier Canadian partner.
BTW, I don't know why people still associate MTV with music. This teenage network stopped showing music long time ago and is now dedicated only to the crappiest of the crappy reality shows. I'm probably the biggest music television fan out there, but I stopped watching this joke long time ago and don't miss it at all.

#8 · (Edited)
Twilight Cowboy said:
Yet the HDNet and Discovery applications just keep gathering dust.
The American Discovery HD Theater application was sitting around collecting dust until CTV partnered with Discovery to launch the Canadian version of the channel. The Canadian version of Discovery HD Theater is sure to be approved by the CRTC sooner rather than later because of this. The American Discovery HD Theater application will likely be disregarded as soon as the CRTC decides to approve the Canadian version of the channel.

The HDNet application continues to sit in limbo.

#9 ·
I personally wish the CRTC would keep it's nose out of telling us what we can & can't watch. Now for OTA stuff, obviously you need someone to regulate frequency usage, but they've gone too far in enforcing Canadian content...if Canadian content is good enough it will exist on its own merit. They should allocate bandwidth and then stay out of our faces!

I hope they don't decide that they should regulate IPTV sometime down the road -that should forever remain non of their business!

edit: Oh yeah I forgot - if we want US satellites, that should also be our business. As long as the US (or wherever) satellite boxes we might buy aren't emitting all sorts of crazy EM interference or something it shouldn't be their business what we buy and who we pay.

#10 ·
I wish CRTC would just go away. When I remember that my tax money are used to pay for those bureaucrats and they have the power to dictate what I can watch on TV, I'm thinking that there are some serious problems with our corporate-controlled democracy.

#12 ·
Between the growing prevalence of broadband access, and the growing availability of TV over IP, and just plain download of TV shows via numerous P2P methods, the CRTC will soon be a powerless entity. But I’m willing to bet that it will continue to be a big waste of tax money for years to come.

Stagger

#13 ·
Damn, I hate simsubbing with a passion!
My dream is to one day never see CTV, Global / CH, Omni, or some of the CHUM stations on any US network ever again!
The CRTC has to force these Canadian stations to come up with 100 percent origianl programming!!! I know it'll never happen, but one can hope.

#14 ·
I hate to be different. Please forgive me. CRTC did a good job for me in stopping Bell from charging me touch tone service, i.e., Bell forced me to switch from dial pulse to touch tone and crtc helped me to stop them. Thanks, crtc.

#17 ·
It seems to me that 95% of the complaints about the CRTC on this site revolve around Simulcasting and U.S. Station availability yet in these cases the CRTC is really just enforcing the broadcast act.

IMHO, the complaints are totally off base.

It's kind of like blaming the drivers licensing office or a police officer because you don't like driving on the right side of the road, or blaming them because the speed limit on the 401 is only 100km per hour.

The licensing office and the police are merely the enforcers not the creators of the rules. That's not to say that our police force couldn't be better run or that the licensing office couldn't be more efficient but those are different issues.

In my mind, valid criticism of the way the CRTC enforces or regulates the broadcast act (or the telecommunications act) is totally acceptable but blaming the CRTC for the legislation itself is wrong.

I believe the CRTC needs to make decisions faster and I believe they are doing things that work against the broadcast act rather than support it so I'm against their means not their ends. Complaints about their ends should be directed at the heritage and industry ministers.

#18 ·
There is a reason the grey market continues to thrive here in Canada.

People don't want to be told what they can and cannot watch or listen to.

Under the guise of "protecting" Canada and Canadians, what the CRTC is really doing limiting our rights to purchase what many of us want.

When I see what is available on Bell ExpressVu or Star Choice, I see 10 different CBC's, 10 different CTV's, several RO's and VR's and other Canadian networks and then a few Canadian versions of U.S. channels.

Honestly, compared to U.S. satellite tv, it's truly pathetic.

Now, with the imposed CANCON involved with satellite radio, the CRTC has once again limited the programming options to Canadian consumers.

2 words: GREY MARKET

#19 ·
CRTC doesn't care

Recently I had finally had it with the lack of communication from Shaw and the constant price increases with no explanation or advance warning which is good business and required.

I filed a report with the CRTC and first I received a reply saying don't get involved with their day to day business operations. Also included opening up competition in the cable business. Said would forward concerns to Shaw for consideration. I sent a further complaint calling them on the fact that have no competition for Shaw and added that Shaw owns Bell Express Vu and Star Choice. Have no choice and Shaw has taken advantage for far too long. Added that Shaw won't respond in writing by mail or email. They want nothing to do with their customers. CRTC ignores my concerns and made harassing phone calls.

The CRTC has been paid off by Shaw and Rogers. I filed reports with the competition bureau, cable standards council, and the bbb. The BBB and CSC confirmed what I already know that if the CRTC cares about fairness and respect for customers can put a stop to the immoral and unethical behavior of Shaw and Rogers.

By the way I checked Shaw careers page to see what kind of qualifications they look for in employees. You only need to read and write to be a customer service operator. To be able to read scripts to callers. Their call center also makes those harassing telemarketing calls.

#20 ·
TJK Reflects/Questions said:
I sent a further complaint calling them on the fact that have no competition for Shaw and added that Shaw owns Bell Express Vu and Star Choice.
The fact Bell ExpressVu is called *Bell* ExpressVu might tip you off that they are infact not owned by Shaw. Compliants with such incorrect statements probably don't get very far.

#21 ·
I found out some time ago that Shaw has a minority stake in Bell Express Vu. Not as big as the ownership in Star Choice.

I am also fed up with the regional ads on channels like tbs, cnn, aande, spike. Have you notice that the volume for the ads increase automatically. Shaw wants to make sure you hear the garbage claim in the ads. I don't believe they are not responsible for inserting the ads at prearranged times.

#23 ·
I sent another complaint about Shaw to CRTC and included my displeasure with signal substitution and the ads that Shaw/Rogers inserts on channels like aande, cnn at predetermined times twice an hour.

Received a response that is total nonsense. Don't admit that do all that in order to put local content on those channels waving the flag. Sent a reply that signal substitution doesn't allow networks to accurately say to advertisers what the audience numbers. In fact they are fraudulently inflating the numbers. I added that signal substitution and those ad inserts accomplish nothing but messes up tivo, dvr, and vcr recording. Also that I record everything I watch on the few channels that I care to watch and skip all ads.

CRTC said the cable companies inserts the ads, but Shaw had told me broadcasters insert the ads. It is obvious that Shaw/Rogers insert the ads. Shaw outright lied to me.

I concluded in the response about this thread and I would add to the title of this thread "...and companies they permit to lie, cheat, and steal from the public."

#24 ·
I'm surprised the U.S. doesn't take Canada to task on the "Canadian Content" requirements. It is protectionism of an industry at the expense of a free trade partner - yes I know the U.S. isn't playing ball on the lumber issue but that doesn't make this right either.

An economist would have a field day with these protectionist rules. We are creating a glut of less than talented personnel through the imposing of a requirement that the air waves play Canadian content. Some of the bands we listen to who hail from Canada are quite simply embarrassing to listen to. *cough* Sam Roberts *cough* who otherwise would struggle if it weren't for the unfair airtime they are allowed to receive.

These musicians are all successful Canadians.
http://particle.physics.ucdavis.edu/Canadians/musicians.html
http://particle.physics.ucdavis.edu/Canadians/More/moremusicians.html#Musicians

I venture most if not all would be equally and potentially more successful without the Canadian protectionism afforded to them. Their talent would undoubtedly receive support at any other level (consumer, corporate, the will to succeed) without tax dollars funding them.

An argument is always made that our film industry relies on the Canadian Content provisions to allow for funding of nature films and documentaries. I disagree. The work is important - it does not have to come from the tax base. The arts community will always find a way to ensure these forms of productions rightly receive the funding required to bring these to production.

The CRTC's may be following the Broadcast Act yet I find little merit in that argument. Who provides the key material required for input on the development of the statute (law)? Yes, the same people who monitor it.

The limitations to information imposed on Canadians by virture of the Broadcast Act and monitored by the authoritative body (the CRTC) are stealing the rights of the average Canadian with respect to the access to information.

Protectionism of your borders is patriotic. Closing your access to the information is medieval if not communist.

The solution is relatively simple.

Ensure there is a process whereby broadcasting revenues allow for support of the local community.

Ensure that the Art Community is funded from the tax base.

Ensure that the broadcasting community (including film, television, radio, and wireless) is an open market.

Foreign competition must allow for investment within the borders. e.g. a broadcast from the U.S. that is open to broadcast within our borders must have a system that ensures the additional profits are partially reinvested within our borders. A sharing of the wealth.

Let the best man win. Let the weak respond or move on.

#25 ·
The response that CRTC sent me only said that signal substitution is to allow networks to maintain an audience number. Said some nonsense about channel splitting. That is all it is nonsense. Networks are inflating numbers to advertisers that not the true numbers. I said this to the crtc.

Their response about inserting ads on channels like cnn was to allow cable companies to announce channel realignments and adding new channels along with shameless self promotions. Added when local networks need more air time for some ads shaw/rogers put the ads on cnn aande and spike. My response to crtc was all that does is mess up tivo, dvr, vcr recording.

I agree that content rules don't work. It is only a numbers game has nothing to do about quality. I don't listen to am or fm stations any longer. Yes there some talented actors and musicians but there far more who stink and as you said are embarrassment - Brent Butt comes to mind and many musicians like Paul Shaeffer along with grudge/alternative rock musicians.

#26 ·
It seems to me that the CRTC is a politically well-connected group of people who grant licences to a group of well-connected businessmen i.e. the network and station owners.
This corporate elite then buys U.S. programming, deletes material from the shows to insert extra commercials and we are then supposed to love signal substition? What a croc!
I have no objection to original Canadian productions. The CBC has produced some excellent documentaries over the years and their Olympic coverage was top notch.
If the Canadian networks and stations didn't employ the "greed factor" that is to say: cramming in as many commercials as they can in an imported U.S. show, then I would have no problem with simsubbing.
I only watch U.S. produced shows on U.S.timeshift channels or the American HDTV channels because this practice of deleting programme material has ruined so many shows for me in the past!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.