Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Discovery World to become Discovery Velocity Feb. 12, 2015

23K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
Discovery World is shifting gears to become Discovery Velocity, beginning Thursday, Feb. 12. Discovery announced today that the ultimate insiders club for viewers with a thirst for adventure debuts with an extended 48-day national freeview from Feb. 12 – March 31. As Canada’s only home for Factual Turbo programming, Discovery Velocity drives the passion for all things automotive, along with diverse travel, survival, and cultural world content. Canadians are also invited to take Discovery Velocity out for an online test-drive when DiscoveryWorld.ca becomes DiscoveryVelocity.ca, offering interactive online features beginning Monday, Feb. 2.

“The decision to rebrand to Discovery Velocity is motivated by our viewers’ desire for Factual Turbo programming on our channels, a gap in the Canadian marketplace, and proven success for the brand outside the country,” said Paul Lewis, President and General Manager, Discovery. “Already exploring life’s amazing journeys through travel and culture, it’s a natural fit for the service to offer the best in automotive –one of the world’s most revolutionary inventions – all at one destination.”

The exclusive Canadian home to hundreds of hours of live broadcasts of BARRETT-JACKSON, the world’s leading collector car auctions,Discovery Velocity takes off with premieres of all-new seasons of WHEELER DEALERS, WHAT’S IN THE BARN, CHASING CLASSIC CARS, CLASSIC CAR RESCUE and AMERICARNA, as well as such “classics” as PATRICK DEMPSEY: RACING LE MANS, and INSIDE WEST COAST CUSTOMS. Additionally, Discovery Velocity will be the one-stop auto shop for all of Discovery’s Factual Turbo programming, including CANADA’S WORST DRIVER, LAST CAR STANDING, DON’T DRIVE HERE, HOW IT’S MADE: DREAM CARS, and more. All of these join existing channel favourites like DUAL SURVIVAL and WATERFRONT CITIES OF THE WORLD.
Press Release.

Discovery Velocity primetime programming grid

#37 ·
I don't think any Canadian network will get LeMans because Fox Sports has North American rights, even though they only broadcast in the U.S.

The Fox Sports Go app/site claims to have WEC races, but I haven't tried it yet to see if it works legally in Canada for WEC.

You may need to make friends with a WEC fan in Bellingham!

#38 ·
#40 ·
Can't say I'm happy with the rebranding. Some shows I liked are gone for good and can't be found anywhere else. Meanwhile, I look in those time slots and see endless reruns of car shows that are or were previously shown on other channels. Two big thumbs down for Discovery Velocity.

#46 ·
...I assume that the 1000 Miles at Sebring is the same event as the 12 hours of Sebring?..
The WEC will have their own separate race on the Friday at Sebring, before IMSA has their 12 Hours as usual on the Saturday.
Sebring WEC Race Moves to Friday in Revised 1000-Mile Format ? Sportscar365
From what I can see, it looks like Le Mans and maybe Sebring will be the only entire WEC races shown on Velocity (or Motor Trend Network if it gets rebranded later this year), while all the rest of the WEC races will have only the first and last hour shown on the TV channel with the rest of the race on their website.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.