Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Is Shaw buying NTV(CJON St Johns)

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  jfoley85 
#1 ·
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...signal-broadcasting-interest-in-n-l-1.2768088

The parent company of the Global Television network may be eyeing opportunities in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Shaw Media Inc. recently filed documents at the registry of companies allowing it to do business in the province.

According to registration documents filed Sept. 11, Shaw Media plans to carry on “broadcasting and digital media services” in Newfoundland and Labrador.

But the Calgary-based company is staying tight-lipped about its plans in the east — at least for now.

A spokeswoman declined to answer CBC News questions about whether Shaw plans to start a new broadcasting service here, or acquire an existing broadcaster.

She noted that a top Shaw Media executive — Troy Reeb, senior vice-president of Global News and station operations — is expected to grant interviews next week.

Earlier this summer, in documents filed with the CRTC, Shaw indicated it is making plans to launch a national TV news channel, called Global News 1.

Shaw Media runs Global Television and 19 specialty TV channels, including Food Network Canada, HGTV Canada, History, Slice, and Showcase.

Global stations offer local and national news programming from British Columbia to Halifax.

See less See more
#3 ·
If CJON was for sale; it would be in the best interests of Newfoundland that it was sold to anyone except CTV. CTV would shut it down; run all the programming out of Halifax and siphon ALL the local advertising revenue out of the market which it currently does in Sydney and Moncton. There would be NO benefit for Newfoundland.

#5 · (Edited)
Honestly I find Global New Brunswick's programming to be better at times then NTV. Movies air and sometimes it can be the same movie on both and Global fits it in earlier in the schedule even though its schedule is shifted by a half hour in time ! NTV also tends to air 3 to 4 episodes of the Simpson's during the late hours of the night Sunday into Monday whereas Global airs the same episodes during the afternoon !!! I'd actually be all for it...but as we all know by now Shaw has no interest in such an acquisition at this point in time.I live in Newfoundland myself.

#6 ·
Is Shaw the reason why Rogers Cable in Ontario removed NTV & Global stations in Atlantic Canada so we here in Ontario are forced to watch either Global Toronto [the Torontocentric nature of broadcasting in Canada I despise] or Global Winnipeg as our 1st opportunity for earliest programming? I'm a cynic, so I could see that being the case & not improving NTV any by controlling it. That's why we're BLESSED to have sim-sub free Seattle feeds. I avoid U.S. programming on CTV/Global/City like the plague!

#7 ·
Well here in Newfoundland Rogers does offer Global New Brunswick in its cheapest digital package and also CTV Halifax. I have Rogers myself we don't get Global Winnipeg but I think the reasoning we get Global New Brunswick is because its the closest full Global station that can match our time zone. Its schedule being shifted a half hour ahead of course. NTV is not a full affliate but like I said i find they don't always match timing for their Global programming with the actual Global New Brunswick programming, but its considered a local here on cable. So in not too sure if Shaw had anything to do with it being renoved in Ontario, although it is possible, but we can get Global Toronto through the time shift package.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.