Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Emergency Alerts Coming to TV/Radio/Cell Phone in Canada

143K views 902 replies 108 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
#54 · (Edited)
Even though Bell has been given an extension, Channel 1911 has appeared and is called NPAS, National Public Alert Service (or System), going from memory. Not sure when it was added but I noticed it earlier today!
This channel is on 91W which most Bell subscribers have, but the method of bringing those people who are affected by whatever disaster, still awaits to be revealed.

#55 ·
CRTC Press Release

Canadians who listen to the radio or watch television can now receive emergency alert messages
As of today, the vast majority of Canadians will be able to receive emergency alert messages affecting life and property through their radio and television services. Most of the broadcasting industry has implemented the national public alerting system and is making Canadians' lives safer.

Emergency alert messages are issued by emergency management officials such as fire marshals, police officers and public health personnel. For example, alerts could be issued to warn Canadians of Amber Alerts, tornadoes, forest fires, floods, water contamination and industrial disasters.

Cable and satellite companies, radio stations, over-the-air television stations and video-on-demand services are now required to issue emergency alert messages. Campus, community-based and Aboriginal broadcasters have until March 31, 2016, to comply with this new requirement.

However, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) is concerned and disappointed that certain television service providers are not ready. Bell, Bell Aliant, MTS, Shaw and Sogetel have notified the CRTC that they are not able to issue emergency messages to some of their subscribers and have requested extensions of up to one year. The private broadcasting industry has had more than enough time to prepare. The CRTC has encouraged the industry to participate in the National Alert Aggregation and Dissemination System since its implementation in 2010. In August 2014, the CRTC required that broadcasters and television service providers begin relaying emergency alert messages to Canadians by March 31, 2015.

The full participation of the broadcasting industry is necessary in order for the national public alerting system to be effective in safeguarding and warning Canadians. The CRTC has reluctantly granted the five companies an extension of no more than six months, after which they will have to participate in the national public alerting system. The CRTC is also requiring that Bell, Bell Aliant, MTS, Shaw and Sogetel issue notices to their subscribers to inform them of this delay and submit frequent progress reports to the CRTC regarding their compliance.

Quick Facts

• As of March 31, 2015, the vast majority of Canadians will receive emergency alert messages through their radio and television services.
  • Alerts could be issued to warn Canadians of Amber Alerts, tornadoes, forest fires, floods, water contamination and industrial disasters.
  • Cable and satellite companies, radio stations, over-the-air television stations and video-on-demand services are required to issue emergency alert messages.
  • Bell, Bell Aliant, MTS, Shaw and Sogetel are not ready to issue emergency messages to all their subscribers and asked the CRTC for extensions of up to one year.
  • The CRTC reluctantly granted these companies a maximum delay of six months and required that they issue notices to their subscribers to inform them of this delay and submit frequent progress reports to the CRTC regarding their compliance.
  • Canadians who are affected by the delay will be able to receive emergency alert messages through the radio. They may also choose to change service providers.
Related links
Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-118
Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-119
Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-120
Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-121
Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-122
Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2014-444
How the CRTC Helps Protect Canadians
Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2014-85
CRTC issues its first decision on Let's Talk TV

#56 ·
NPAS-SNAP National Public Alerting System Channel 1911 does appear to be a live feed now on Bell TV Satellite and is broadcast on TP 18 on 91W. While it has just been dead air, a black screen, the channel is broadcasting.
I looked for news releases last night, could only find ones dealing with Bell's extension approval by the CRTC. I suspect it is in response to criticism by the CRTC that they have already had enough time to set this Alert channel up.
I personally like the idea of a dedicated channel with some kind of banner on other channels to notify me rather than Shaw's idea of taking over the control of my receiver.
This is all from my observations as no release has been seen yet.

#62 ·
I personally like the idea of a dedicated channel with some kind of banner on other channels to notify me rather than Shaw's idea of taking over the control of my receiver.
Like I said before, I have to laugh at Shaw for this. If they don't change it, then the first time an alert is issued, thousands of SD subs will be blanketing the Shaw call centers demanding to know why they can't change the channel, why their programs aren't being recorded, and why they're paying for a satellite service they cannot use for the entire duration of the alert.

I would hope Bell and the other BDUs are smarter than Shaw when it comes to implementing this. As in, I would hope it's simply a limitation of Shaw's massively-inferior receiver technology, as opposed to Shaw just deciding to intentionally hijack the receivers because they have nothing better to do.

It'll cost them subs. A lot of them. Especially if the alerts happen more frequently than not.

#58 ·
I guess I may be one of those that will be out of luck in the event of a catastrophe as I don't listen to OTA radio and I don't have cable TV. I stream 100% of all media, so my family and I may be the first to go (and perhaps that is a good thing).

Maybe the CRTC is too little too late on this thing, but will spend millions trying to figure it out!

#60 ·
It just seems like another case of too little too late from the CRTC. That's not bashing the current CRTC members but those that preceded them. How long has the US had an emergency alert system? I remember hearing emergency alert tests on US radio stations in the 1970s. How many years later does the CRTC mandate this? It looks to me like almost 40 years of CRTC personal were asleep at the wheel. Such systems require standards to be set and proper implementation. Requiring such systems even 10 or 15 years ago would have made for a better system that is fully integrated with modern digital broadcast systems. As it is, it's being rushed to market and wedged into systems that were not designed for it. In addition to the unnecessary disruptions and costs, it will have other serious flaws.

#63 ·
One difference I see... Or what it sounds like?? As I haven't read the laws
on either side of the border..

Here in the US, I believe it is up to the broadcaster, not the cable tv or satellite provider to do the periodic emergency alert testing.
I have never seen emergency alerts on anything but local broadcast stations here So I don't see why Shaw or any other provider
would need to do anything differently if they were doing the same as here.

#64 ·
In all honesty I'm not sure why individuals would want to watch their TV shows in case of an emergency.

Now grant you depending on how severe the emergency was, I'd think individuals would be more concerned on safety then watching some TV show :eek:

As an example if a Tornado warning was issued for a certain area I'd think the individual watching TV would be more concerned about the Tornado and would want as much info as possible, if not I guess this individual won't have to worry about trying to change the channel, when he or she is flying spinning through the air with his/her TV Shaw Receiver & Remote, house, Lazy Boy Chair Spinning round & round & round up in the air, and waving and saying "HI Dorthy & TOTO, so this is where you've been?" :p :)

So in all honesty I think safety for yourself & family should come before some TV show? You can always watch TV anytime or show, your family can't be replaced.

#65 ·
Lets hope some common sense prevails here.

At what level do the alerts trip at?

Environment Canada, from my observations issues:

Weather "Statements" or advisories.. (Grey)
Weather "Watches" (Yellow)
Weather "Warnings" (Red)

There are some "Warnings" that can go on for several hours..
Flooding and frost warnings can be lengthily, or a stationary line of thunderstorms that are "training"...

I see also both the broadcaster and BDU needing to be on the ball when these various alerts are lifted.

This summer is going to be an interesting one.

Cameron

#66 ·
I noticed that MTS was listed as not fully complying with the new regs, so I took a look a few days ago and found that MTS seems to have implemented it for their Mediaroom-based "Ultimate TV" service, but not for their old "Classic TV" service. It looks well-implemented, as a Mediaroom app that doesn't unnecessarily interfere with the TV viewing experience.
When watching live programming: An alert will interrupt your programming and appear on your TV screen only once. It will not be repeated.
  • You can press exit to dismiss the alert.
  • You can use REWIND to view the missed portion of your program.
  • You cannot use REWIND to view any missed portion of the alert.
  • You can PAUSE the program during the alert and resume play after the alert.
When watching a PVR Recording: An alert will not be saved on a recorded program as it only appears in real-time viewing.
When using an app: The app will stay active in the background.
When TV is in screensaver mode: The alert will not display.
When channel surfing, using the guide or menu: The alert will appear on your TV screen regardless of the channel you are currently watching.
http://www.mts.ca/mts/support/tv/ultimate+tv/features/alert+ready
http://www.mts.ca/mts/support/servi...lert+ready+canadas+new+emergency+alert+system

#67 · (Edited)
Weather Radio Type Alert But Satellite Based Would Be Ideal

I gave a friend a Weather Radio with alert a number of years ago, the first night he had it, he woke at about 3 in the morning with a severe thunderstorm warning. When he told me, I said I got my monies worth on that radio knowing it wrecked his sleep! Lol
My point is the alert system has never been adequate in this country, up to 2009 Manitoba only had two Weather Radio broadcast stations one in Winnipeg, the other on west shore of Lake Winnipeg in Riverton, and it took a devastating F5 Tornado in Elie Manitoba to help initiate this new alert system. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Elie,_Manitoba_tornado Yet it still seems to be a mishmash of poorly planned stop gap solutions that will only create a Quasi-non-integrated-National Public Alert System, that will give different services depending where you live, or what services you subscribe to, hardly national.
I really hope I am wrong, I am very happy that something is being done, I hope integration and enhancements are in the future.
See here what Weather Radio Service is in your area. https://ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.asp?lang=En&n=8830FA44-1
A satellite based system is required for a country as large as Canada, that could serve everyone equally, but local broadcasters needed to take a larger roll prior to this point to relay the alerts.

#68 ·
I think that, at least in Winnipeg, most of the "emergency alerts" would be weather warnings. Mostly related to "extreme cold" or "extreme wind chill", although I can see "thunderstorm" or "wind" alerts, or maybe month-long "flood warnings".

The most effective weather alert system would be a "channel crawl" like they have during every tornado on the Minnesota channels.

I can't see what else the emergency alert channel could legitimately be used for in Winnipeg, although I could see gradual usage creep to eventually show PSAs, political ads, and Shaw commercials (all non-skippable, of course).

#69 ·
Satellite Based Would Be Ideal
Given the proclivity of satellite signals to fail in bad weather, I'm not sure it would be ideal. At one time, Canadian towns and cities had a system of sirens to warn of national emergencies. Everyone knew to tune into a local radio station to learn about the alert. That system was neglected for so long it was eventually abandoned. (Yet another sign of our tax dollars at work.) I don't listen to local radio and don't typically watch local TV. A good deal of the time I'm watching an HTPC or listening to a media player, not a satellite or cable BDU. Most of the time I learn about bad weather when the sky goes dark, lightning is visible, thunder can be heard over the TV or radio or the house starts to shake. Then I look out the window to see how bad it is. :eek:

#70 ·
^^^^
IIRC, those were air raid sirens, for when Russian bombers were approaching. I recall one in Oakville, on Devon Rd., just east of Wedgewood. This was long before Devon extended through what was then Sheridan Nurseries, to meet up with the other portion that met Maple Grove Dr. There was another, IIRC, at the old Oratona barracks, near Kerr & Rebecca.

#74 ·
The one thing about this, is how does these "agencies" declare a "Emergency"? By that I mean how severe must the emergency before its declared an emergency?

One's individual presumption of an emergency might not be the same as another's individual assumption of an emergency?

Is there some scale(depending on the emergency at hand)that these 'agencies" follow?

I know there are watches and warnings for weather, but at what point are these actually issued?

I'm not sure which agencies actually issue warns but just curious? I know it varies province to province and each has their own 'rules' but is there any web site that has these info on this matter?

#83 ·
Provinces tend to have an Emergency Measures organization or agency of some type, and those tend to have some kind of process and policy in place for determining what is considered an emergency. They're the ones who would decide when to issue an alert.

That process varies by province, so it's impossible to generalize. In the end it comes down to a judgement call by the agency.

#77 ·
Quote:The exact manner in which alerts will be broadcast is left to the discretion of the local television broadcaster, cable or satellite TV distributor. A crawl across the top or bottom of the screen or a full-page display is expected for most alerts.

So probably no biggee..just a benefit

#78 ·
I know this is all new, and in the process of being setup, but the http://www.alertready.ca is an autoredirect to http://www.theweathernetwork.com/public-alerts/
Then many of the links like all the FAQ's are not there yet. And when I hit the link to Manitoba and followed through to Manitoba EMO's Alerts, it took me to the Weather Network again at http://www.theweathernetwork.com/alerts/ca/mb
I guess it gives us something to do in case of an emergency to take our minds off what is happening! :rolleyes: I would have thought it all would have been live when it came online.

Thanks mbhydro for the link of tests being conducted, I look forward to seeing things in operation. Has anyone viewed any tests to this point?

#79 ·
Must say the Alert Sound is quite impressive and it DOES get your attention.

What would be really cool is if some how they could also get this working via the net, so regardless on what ever site you where on it if where to go off you would hear it.

Now grant you I'm not sure if that would be possible, but I'm guessing with your IP address that might help, then again I'm not that skilled in computers so I could be wrong.

#80 ·
I would guess that the reason the aleartready.ca is being redirected to the weathernetwork page is that Pelmorex Media Inc (aka the Weathernetwork owner) are also the ones who are running the alert system for the Canadian Govt.

Sort of makes sense as they already have the equipment to supply the local weather information to the cable and satellite companies.

It also looks like the FAQ's are working again. They were dead when I posted earlier but I just clicked on them and they open. If they don't open, the questions and responeses are hard coded here:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/about-us/naads/frequently-asked-questions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.