Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogers and Shaw Launching SHOMI streaming video

99K views 414 replies 95 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#110 ·
thenewdc, here's what Shaw says:

Set-top box
Watch on the big screen through your Shaw On Demand menu, and send even more titles to your box via the shomi app or website
I know that Shaw does the same thing with their regular on-demand TV shows. It seems the STBs don't have the capacity to show all the available programs.

Maybe Rogers has a similar capability.

#114 ·
I added it a few minutes ago. The content is alright. I kind of wish i could launch it on my arris box from a dedicated shortcut in the horizontal main menu not way up the list on vod. a small gripe, i know. I think it would feel more special that way and we would be more likely to jump to it. Time will tell will be the mantra for now.
Also i dont really love the horizontal pick and choose interface of the vod, and this uses that same ui. maybe they can write some new code to give it a prettier easier to navigate/see more content ui. the mobile app ui would be a great here.

#116 ·
Totally agree cafebrad, never been thrilled with the VOD menu system, was sort of hoping for an "app" on the horizontal main menu. A feeling of launching a service like netflix, or gamecentre on apple tv or PS. I imagine it's all a limitation of the gateway hardware, but like you I feel disappointed. Just a preference issue though.

#118 ·
Not Making It Easy To Unsubscribe

How to Unsubscribe from shomi
Our Shaw Community moderators will be happy to help you unsubscribe from shomi. If you would like to cancel your shomi service, you can go here to ask a moderator for assistance.

This is from the Shaw site.

#119 ·
I checked out their website, and already I have some concerns.

In order to get the service on a regular TV, you need an expensive cable box? They say it's coming soon to xbox360, but still...no Chromecast compatibility unlike their competitors?!

Does the Android app come with a cast button?!

#122 ·
So unless you have a Rogers or Shaw digital box, or a compatible Android (from a small list) or iOS device with an MHL cable, you're not getting this on your regular TV?

I also noticed that they show compatibility with iOS 7 only. Has anyone tried this on iOS 8 yet?!

#134 ·
And how many users can use it at one time?
How many devices can you use at one time on the app?
Customers can have an unlimited number of devices associated with their account and up to 6 individual profiles. However, they are limited to 2 simultaneous streams, plus as many set-top-boxes as you have in the home

With shomi, there are no price tiers, no hassles and when using your cable box, no data usage charge.
Here are a few other excerpts from the Rogers shomi FAQs

Will I be able to use shomi if I’m travelling in the U.S.?
There is no access to shomi if you are travelling in the U.S. –the serviceis only available in Canada.

How much data will I use with shomi?
Data consumption (at the default “Best” setting) is as follows:

• Approximately 2GB/hour when streamed to a laptop.
  • Approximately 1.4GB/hour when streamed to a compatible smartphone or tablet (iOS 7+/Android 4.1+).
Data usage exceeding the amount included in your wireless or internet plan (as applicable) and wireless roaming usage will be charged in accordance with the rates set by your service provider.
As a reminder, the app will alert you when you move from Wi-Fi to the LTE network, however it does not automatically revert back to Wi-Fi when in proximity. This should be done manually.

Will I have additional charges on my Rogers Hi-Speed Internet or Rogers wireless bill for streaming video on shomi?
Like any other video streaming service, customers are responsible for any bandwidth usage beyond their monthly limit. Rogers offers a variety of Hi Speed Internet packages and wireless data plans to suit your usage needs.

Is there a recommended internet speed to use shomi?
To help ensure you and your family receive the best streaming experience and have ample data to fully explore shomi, we recommend Rogers Hybrid Fibre 60 internet or above, or Hybrid Fibre 50 internet or above, depending on the availability in your area. While any of our Hybrid Fibre packages will meet the minimum recommended speeds of 5 – 8 Mbps for shomi, greater speeds allow your whole family to enjoy smooth streaming, surfing and downloading at the same time.

What channel number is shomi on my Rogers digital box?
shomi will be available on channel 300 everywhere it’s offered, as well as on NextBox™ channel 100 in Ontario.

Are there any commercials or advertising when watching shomi?
There may be introductory videos/commercials from time to time promoting shomi and its content, however you will not see any ads from Rogers or any third parties.

Will shomi have original, Canadian or French language content?
Yes! We have recently announced the first original shomi series, Between andwe’re further developing our original programming lineup.
And yes, 30% of the content will be Canadian, which includes hit shows like Rookie Blue and Package Deal, as well as classic Canadian films.
Content is English-only for now, but there are foreign language titles available. We’ll announce additional programming information at a later date.

What’s the difference between shomi and content on Rogers on Demand/Rogers Anyplace TV™/TMN GO?
shomi strives to give customers multiple seasons of really great TV shows as well as library movies. Rogers on Demand and Rogers Anyplace TV, and TMN Go do too, but they also offer episodes of TV seasons currently on air as well as new release movies the same day they’re available on DVD. In order to access TV shows and movies from channels available in cable packages, customers must subscribe to that channel within their TV package. Any customer with access to shomi will have access to all content on the service.
Movie rentals on Rogers on Demand/Rogers Anyplace TV are transactional in nature, which means customers pay for each title that they choose to watch. There is no ad-hoc fee per movie title for customers that subscribe to shomi.
Long story short, shomi is complementary to our digital TV and video on demand (VOD) services. Customers can catch up on their favourite movies and series.

Why is there less content (at launch) on my digital box than on the shomi website/app?
We’re working on getting all the online content onto your digital box. Some platforms are ramping up at different times and just as we are adding more devices, we are also completing the harmonization of content across all screens.
Note that user profiles don't currently apply to Rogers STBs. From Rogers shomi Troubleshooting
Will my shomi profile save from the app onto my NextBox?
No, a shomi profile can only sync between desktop, tablets and smartphones. While NextBox™ and other compatible digital boxes only support the account level profile. This profile and the personalized recommendations cannot be transferred over to other devices. We are working towards streamlining this experience in the future.

#125 ·
I believe it says you can have up to 6 profiles. Number of simultaneous users might depend on your internet service level.

Note on content: I was interested to see the Original Series of Star Trek listed but there is only one episode from Season 01. Then there's TNG and only seasons are 01 and 05. Not at all 'complete'. Rather odd that something as old as the original series would be available for licensing. Why would they only offer partial series?

Not at all impressed.

#128 ·
I think we all need to keep in mind that it is a "beta" which seems to be watered down to pretty much mean "released, but not ready to call it done".

Other devices are coming, and currently no one is paying a dime.

It it's current stage I think it's far too early to champion it as a serious threat to netflix, but I do think it's important to remember it just got switched on 12 hours ago. I prefer that it's running on limited devices (some of which I own), then wait for all devices to be ready before getting anyone logged in.

The catalogue has left me a little wanting though, I'm happy to give it time, but I won't be subscribing at the end of 3 months if there aren't significant moves on this front.

#130 ·
I don't know. Netflix at least has a few bigger name new movies that sneak through (don't get picked up by MC/TMN for example). And plenty of new but lesser known movies. With Shomi I only seem to see older big name movies.

And when comes to TV shows didn't they say "all past seasons" somewhere maybe? Yet Sons of Anarchy is currently airing season 7 while only 1-5 is available on Shomi. Season 6 isn't there yet. However it is on Netflix US.

The truth is that regardless of content, I'll only be keeping it in 3 months if I can easily get it on my TV (i.e. Roku app). Just can't be bothered with anything that doesn't have a Roku app or Chromecast support at the very minimum as there's currently enough to watch with other services that do support those platforms.

#131 ·
remember this is a beta and 1st day too. I also had the site freeze on me this morning and had to use my phone to signup.
and even though this is early beta, NO ONE i know has heard of this! weird.
Content, and recent Content is going to be key.

#139 ·
No because your box will likely display a "not authorized" message and you won't even be able to access the VOD channel.

Also if it works anything like the Rogers implementation, the STB verifies your shomi subscription status automatically through the billing system, not your username and password. If you have no active cable subscription, the STB will not be able to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.