Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogers and Shaw Launching SHOMI streaming video

99K views 414 replies 95 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#85 ·
I don't think they can acquire programming from HULU, but from the program owners. Their might be some overlap. Rogers spent a fortune acquiring rights to programming already so the service should be half decent. Having seen the Interface already, it's far superior to what Netflix has, at least the version on PC's, and Talbets. I think i read somewhere that you won't get the full experience with the version on the set top boxes.

#86 ·
thenewdc said:
Having seen the Interface already, it's far superior to what Netflix has, at least the version on PC's, and Talbets.
Yeah, but since it's taking them forever to bring it to market, I'm sure Netflix will be improving their app over time (like they have in the past).

Frankly, I don't think the shomi iPad app (as demoed in the videos) is really any better or worse than the Netflix iPad app. And Netflix has their service available today whereas shomi is just in "pilot" mode.

#87 ·
shomi and Twentieth Century Fox Television Distribution announce content deal

All past seasons of hit series Sons Of Anarchy, Modern Family, American Horror Story, Sleepy Hollow, Louie, and more available to stream for shomi customers

shomi users will have exclusive access to stream past seasons of FX and FXX originals, including Sons of Anarchy, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The League, The Americans, Wilfred and the award-winning series American Horror Story and Louie. Come 2015, shomi customers will also gain access to past seasons of recently released dramas Tyrant and The Strain and comedies Married and You're The Worst.

In addition to awesome specialty series, shomi is now the exclusive online streaming home in Canada for the most popular Fox shows on television, including: New Girl, Sleepy Hollow, Bob's Burgers, 24: Live Another Day, and Modern Family. Also available non-exclusively are episodes of fan-favourites such as Homeland, Glee, American Dad, and Family Guy.

Of course, this announcement is only the beginning; over the next year, shomi will be revealing more information about more than 14,000 episodes and titles that will be available to Canadians for binge watching and mobile viewing.

Full Press Release.

#90 ·
shomi signs subscription video on demand content deal with Starz Digital Media

Starting this November, shomi will be the only place where Canadians can see a growing lineup of many A-list STARZ programs post-broadcast through an SVOD service, including all prior seasons of each series.

The deal provides shomi users with exclusive second-window access to select STARZ Original series that are sure to feed every entertainment lovers binge-watching needs, including:
  • Power, the gritty New York-based crime drama from Executive Producer Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson
  • Upcoming new scripted comedy series, Survivor's Remorse, from Executive Producers Tom Werner, Maverick Carter, LeBron James, Mike O'Malley, Paul Wachter and Victor Levin
  • Black Sails, the epic Pirate drama
  • Hit series Da Vinci's Demons from David S. Goyer
  • Emmy® and Golden Globe® award-nominated limited series, The White Queen, from best-selling author Philippa Gregory
  • Stylish Magic City
In addition, kicking off the launch ofshomi will be other hot STARZ Original series including the global smash Spartacus and the hilarious comedy, Party Down.

Other content included as part of the robust programming agreement includes the Emmy Award-winning, kid-friendly animated series Dan Vs . from Starz's animation company, Film Roman.

Full Press Release.

#95 ·
shomi announces new content deals with Warner Bros. International Television

Starting this November, shomi, Canada's premier subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) service, becomes the exclusive streaming home to some of the hottest shows on television including 2 Broke Girls, Two and a Half Men, Shameless, and Falling Skies. shomi also becomes the exclusive Canadian premiere home of the new Rob Thomas series, iZombie. And good news for those lucky fans of the Vampire Diaries spinoff The Originals, shomi will have all past seasons and will stream new episodes after its television premiere.

The deal provides shomi users with second window access to timeless fan favourites that are gone, but not forgotten, as well as some fave animated titles for the kidlets, including:
  • High school drama, One Tree Hill
  • Crime drama, Southland
  • Post-apocalyptic drama, Revolution
  • Mystery, teen drama, Veronica Mars
  • Aaron Sorkin's political drama, The West Wing
  • Animated series Baby Looney Tunes
  • Emmy® award-winning, Batman: The Animated Series
  • Popular kids' series Scooby-Doo (both original and new)
  • DC Comic animated series, Teen Titans
  • Marvel comics animated series, X-Men: Evolution
  • Classic cat and mouse chases in Tom and Jerry Tales
Film titles from this deal include a number of favourites, such as Blade Runner, Two Weeks Notice, Ocean's Eleven, The Goonies, Unforgiven, Waiting for Guffman, the Lethal Weapon series, Mad Max movies, and the Batman and Superman series, to name a few. Plus a collection of Stanley Kubrick classics including 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and The Shining.
What else have we got up our sleeves? Wouldn't you like to know? You've already seen a series of exclusive partnership announcements from shomi, and there are plenty more to come over the coming weeks. Leading up to the launch in November, shomi will continue to reveal many of the titles it will deliver to viewers.

"When we announced shomi in August, we made a commitment to deliver the best selection of television series and movies to Canadians," said Marni Shulman, Head of Content & Programming, shomi. "This deal with Warner Bros International Television delivers on that promise. And we're just getting started."

shomi will be available in November to Rogers and Shaw Internet or TV customers at a suggested retail price of $8.99 per month. With an all-star lineup of exclusive past-seasons of many of the hottest shows on television and movie favourites, Canadians will be able to enjoy shomi online and on select tablets, mobile devices, Xbox 360, and set top boxes.

shomi will launch in beta first to Rogers and Shaw Internet or TV customers. Enhanced features include trailers and factoids for movie titles to help customers make their selections, while an exceptional user interface delivers a unique theatrical experience. With the ability to add up to six profiles per account, shomi offers a great solution for the connected home, as customers can watch on two devices and their set top boxes at the same time.
Also a couple of unconfirmed items:
1. shomi will have a launch event on Monday, Nov. 3.
2. There will be a 30-day trial.

#99 ·
shomi will be available in November to Rogers and Shaw Internet or TV customers at a suggested retail price of $8.99 per month.
A lot of the listed content is already available to Rogers and Shaw TV customers so it's not much of a deal for them. The Warner Bros stuff is available with a TV sub to their Hollywood Suite movie package and it's $2 cheaper. The only significant value here is to anyone without a TV subscription.

#101 ·
Rogers: shomi now available to Internet and cable customers

- Nearly 500,000 Rogers Hi-Speed Internet customers to automatically get shomi as part of their existing plan until March 31, 2015 –

Let us entertain you…with shomi. Rogers today announced the new subscription video-on-demand service, shomi, will be available in a beta trial to all Rogers Internet or cable customers starting November 4. Eligible Rogers customers can sign up and begin a 30-day free trial, after which customers can enjoy shomi for only $8.99 per month.

As an added benefit to select Rogers customers, shomi will be automatically included for Rogers Hybrid Fibre 50 and 60 or Extreme Internet customers and above until March 31, 2015.

Offering prior seasons of the most popular shows on TV today, cult-classic and fan-favourite films, shomi will be available on select tablets and mobile devices, online, and on set top boxes. shomi will also be coming soon to Xbox 360 and Chromecast.

"shomi will have more than 12,000 hours of content in the first year, combining binge-worthy TV series and Hollywood hits with an unbelievable user experience that we know our customers will love," said David Purdy, SVP, Product Management Video & Content, Rogers. "We've been making significant investments to deliver compelling content and extra value to our customers and shomi is another great example of how we're delivering on this promise."

Rogers customers can sign up and learn more about shomi at Rogers.com/shomi. Eligibility can be determined by visiting Rogers.com and signing in with a MyRogers™ account.
Press Release.

#102 ·
With shomi, there’s never been a better time to be a Shaw customer

Shaw Communications is pleased to announce that all Internet and cable customers will be able to access a free beta trial of shomi – the new and highly anticipated subscription video-on-demand service – available November 4.

Available for use on select tablets and mobile devices, online, and on set top boxes, shomi provides access to the most popular movies and TV shows, while enhancing the overall value for Shaw’s Internet and cable subscriber base across Western Canada. Shaw customers will be given a one month free trial of shomi, with Shaw Internet customers getting an additional two months access through the shomi app and website. shomi will also be coming soon to Xbox 360 and Chromecast

“Introducing shomi underscores our desire to give our customers access to the best content and services, when and where they need them,” said Chris Kucharski, Senior Vice-President, Consumer, Shaw Communications. “With its vast selection of titles and game-changing functionality, shomi will provide our customers with yet another cutting-edge high-value service in addition to Shaw Go WiFi, Rdio and our TV Everywhere library of content apps.”

With its slick, visually appealing interface and the ability to assign six user profiles per account, shomi will give customers unlimited access to the most iconic TV shows from past years, cult-classic and fan-favourite films as well as exclusive titles and original content. Once the trial has concluded, Shaw Internet and cable customers can enjoy shomi for $8.99 a month.

As an added benefit, Shaw Internet and cable customers will be able to view shomi content through the use of Shaw’s industry-leading Shaw Go WiFi service, Canada’s largest WiFi network of more than 45,000 WiFi locations in Western Canada. A full list of locations is available at www.shaw.ca/wifi/ or by downloading the Shaw Go WiFi Finder App
Press release.

Shaw shomi page: https://www.shaw.ca/shomi/?intcid=ib-2014-08-28-shomi-slider1a-all-shaw

#103 ·
That sounds like a negative billing scheme. If you don't cancel the service before March 31 2015, you get hit with the monthly subscription costs.

It also sounds like a false statistics scheme. By forcing people onto the service, the subscription numbers will be artificially inflated, which will look good in future advertising.

#104 ·
seems unlikely to me. Its added automatically for rogers users, I suspect it will just discontinue if not added. I could be mistaken as im not a rogers customer, but I don't think the automatic addition and future billing strategy is used much anymore.

As far as ballooning the numbers, no good deed goes unpunished I suppose. If there's no free term, people will whine at the cost. If it's free obviously they are just being devious. Like with any service, client acquisition will be their highest cost and determination of success.

As a consumer, i'll happily take the free trial to evaluate the service, I could care less if they use me as a statistic to show how many users signed up in the first 6 months.

#106 · (Edited)
Shomi on Shaw starts tomorrow(oops, just read that in the release below/above). Trying to figure out some more details and will post them as I get them straight.

OK, here goes:
Need MPEG-4 capable STB or Gateway to get it,
Gateway can only access one instance of a given program at a time(not on more than one Portal at a time unless one is HD and the other SD),
Streaming of content to iOS and Android devices,
Selections can be added to 'Wish List' for easier access,
Three levels of video quality for devices:
Good at a max of 0.7 GB per hour, Better at a max of 1.7 GB per hour and Best at a max of 2.6 GB per hour,
And BEST OF ALL!!!! - NO COMMERCIALS in any of the content. (Anyone want to start taking bets on how long that will last?)

A catalogue of the available content should be publicly available too.

#107 ·
Why is Rogers giving their customers a longer free preview than SHAW
Both Rogers and Shaw cable customers get one month free.

Most Rogers internet customers get 1 month free, while about 25% on the most expensive plans get 5 months free (until Mar. 31).

All of Shaw's internet customers get 3 months free.

It boils down to different marketing approaches and which method will produce the most long-term paying customers.

#108 · (Edited)
I just added the Shomi service to my Shaw account. Because I am a Shaw Internet subscirber, I will get 3 free months. So far the content looks pretty decent. I found some movies and TV shows I have wanted to watch, but where not on Netflix. I haven't been able to watch anything yet as the IOS App is not available. The download link Shaw has for the app is dead. Hopefully the app is released in the next few days. I will try this on my Gateway tonight when I get home.

EDIT: Just tried it again and it looks like the IOS app is available. It is actually called SHOMI_ as there was already a SHOMI IOS app

#109 ·
I loaded the android App onto my Nexus Tablet and it seems to be working well. I see they have the Hitchcock library, and it's not on Netflix, but i'd like to see the entire catalog of programming. The app on the NB3 seems to have limited content compared to what i see on my tablet.

#111 ·
I just installed the Android App as well. The app itself is pretty good (snappy and easy to navigate). The videos streamed quickly as well (tried it on Windmobile 3G). However, the content has not impressed so far. While it has some good stuff, there are entrie catagories with very few or no entries whatsoever.

I cannot see myself paying for this service after the free period is over. The content just isn't there for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.