Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogers and Shaw Launching SHOMI streaming video

99K views 414 replies 95 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#29 ·
For anyone joining the thread now.. just to re-iterate (from what has been released so far):
(as multiple people have re-brought it up)

A) Currently upon its INITIAL release, Yes will only be available to ROGERS/SHAW customers... no one external
B) As confirmed by a rogers rep in this thread, they PLAN to roll it out to others afterwards.
C) TV service is not NECESSARY to have this service once available to start. Yes, you would need to have rogers/shaw, but either a TV OR internet account, to be able to get it.

Usage will go against internet...
Other than potentially like what Exid0r posted above?
I guess since via the STB, it would be more like IPTV... like how bell fibe is sent across IP.. but doesn't use up your usage.
I DOUBT they would go any way of 'rogers customers don't have to pay usage for it' sort of thing otherwise.. since bell/rogers already got slapped about stuff with that, re some of their OD stuff on the mobile, etc.. Rogers already REMOVED their ability for that, its all chargeable data now... I DOUBT they would try to sneek anything else similar through.

The PRIORITY thing... well that's another story.. they could try something like that behind the scenes :(

#31 ·
Hypothetically, in order for me to even consider Shomi as a viable streaming option (since Shaw/Rogers compare this to Netflix) they would need to have AT LEAST the following services:

1) Original programming with the same quality as Orange is the New Black, and House of Cards

2) 4K streaming video (yes I have a 4k tv and Netflix 4k was a big selling point)

Odds are it'll be a long time (if ever) these two features would be available with Shomi

#33 ·
Until they launch it and prove otherwise, it seems like a glorified VOD service, which would require CRTC approval.

4K streaming, seriously? Who the hell has 4K TVs? Not very many people, that's who. And Shaw is still behind in HD channels, why would they roll out 4K TV, to satisfy 1 or 2 people? Yeah right, not going to happen. We had the same issues when HD first started. Just because some people wish to spend thousands of dollars for the latest tv doesn't mean everyone should suddenly start offering 4K channels and streaming. Anyway this is for another discussion so i'll leave it at that.

#34 ·
mismag said:
4K streaming, seriously? Who the hell has 4K TVs? Not very many people, that's who. And Shaw is still behind in HD channels, why would they roll out 4K TV, to satisfy 1 or 2 people?
I'm sure in 2 years practically every TV over $2000 will be a 4K TV. Why not get out in front of the trend from a content perspective? If the hardware and the content wait for each other, then you have a chicken and egg situation, and that's bad for progress.

#35 ·
I think it comes down to though.. MOST people, while they still want HD, good quality, etc.. DONT spend $2000 on a TV.
Wont really see a change, till the market starts weeding out the LOWER end stuff, and a new lower end is created.
(like.. you can STILL buy in some places, 720p TVs >.>)

4k I am sure is a 2nd though if any at this point.
The CORE focus I think, will be on CONTENT... if they want to have any chance to survive.
(and is that necessarily a bad thing? cable is slowly dieing. IF rogers wants to survive, they need to move with the times.. this is a start in the right direction. At min, it then provides MORE competition in the marketplace (where Netflix in Canada doesn't have much competition as most of the other services are US only), forcing each to provide better and better, etc)

#37 ·
For myself, if they don't have a decent classics section, there would be no justification for a $8.99 charge for this service. We can watch current shows
on our TV's already. Why pay an extra charge to view what we can already see
through our digital TV subscriptions?

I wonder if Rogers and Shaw are just going to take the content that's currently on Rogers, and giving people who haven't subbed to a particular package or channels get to view what's on them in this SHOWMI service?

#39 ·
@rogerland

I wonder if that may be part of it.

For me, it might be pointless to pay for a FULL addition of a channel/package, if I am only watching it for say one show. But if that show, they put on the Shomi... Likely cheaper in the long run depending on where that channel falls (if bundled only, etc)

#40 · (Edited by Moderator)
That's my guess,that it's just going to be a culmination of all the content of what's on Roger's specialty channels a lot of us may not get.

I've tried watching a number of the specialty channels over the years, and don't think anything from Deja View, Documentary, Discovery science, ESPN classics Canada,Fishing channel Wild TV and the rest would make me want to shell out $9 a month.

Yes, and that's another thing, gdkitty! There not be enough shows that people like to sign up for SHOWMI. I miss the days prior to this rip off of packaging channels and networks. I wish everything on Rogers was still pick n' pay.

Some of the specialty channels are utter garbage. But hey, if we like at least four or five shows and a handful of films on this new SHOWMI, I guess it's worth the nine bucks Rogers wants out of people for this service.

#41 ·
gdkitty said:
I think it comes down to though.. MOST people, while they still want HD, good quality, etc.. DONT spend $2000 on a TV.
4k I am sure is a 2nd though if any at this point.
Netflix obviously disagrees with you. There are plenty of benefits from supporting 4k early. One important benefit is that you'll get a lot of free advertising from all the various TV manufacturers who are looking for content to showcase their new high-end TVs. Guess what - they'll all be using Netflix.

I agree that shomi shouldn't focus on 4k because they have much bigger fish to fry, but like I said earlier, Netflix is far ahead of shomi on so many fronts that they can do this.

#42 ·
That's the problem with TV as a whole.

Unless everything was 100% pick and pay.. there may never be an 100% perfect solution for everyone..
As EVERYONE has different viewing habits.
I may like shows W, X, Y Z... but you only like A, B, C, and Z.. the same package may not do us the same.

Shomi (or Netflix.. or well ANY service), could have 100,000 shows on there, but if they are not the ones YOU like? Its a waste of money for you.

Really the only reason I keep Netflix Canada is for my SON (some of the kids programming)... to get the other shows on TV I do like to watch, which are not available easily by any other streaming, etc means, the package I have gives me access to AMC for the few other things like Breaking bad, Walking dead, etc. SO i don't even need Netflix for those.

BUT.. lets say someone only watches NEWS, little bit of sports.... and then a few shows say on a channel like AMC or similar which forces them to a HIGHER TV package just for those few shows.
IF Shomi ends up having those shows, etc.. it may be a better alternative for them, than fully upgrading the package.

I think it will be DIFFERENT for everyone. And will all depend on the content.

#43 ·
@audacity.

That's what I was meaning.
Netflix, should be going right ahead and doing it now. Would give them the edge, for at least the % of 4k owners, etc.

Was more meaning, that SHOMI shouldn't be concentrating on it right now. Yeah, they might not GAIN That % of people at the moment because of it... but they need to get their base and off the ground first.

That's actually something that could be VERY useful for Shomi to use if it was ever released. If Netflix ever released any stats on WHAT devices were used, etc. As to where to concentrate.
4k is great, but if 60% of your viewing audience is likely to be done on LESS than 1080p mobile devices?

#44 ·
I see this as the thin edge of the wedge. Rogers and Shaw will not jeopardize their existing TV revenue streams. That will limit content to cheaper VOD and PPV programming. They will get this up and running to prove that they can do it. Then they will go running to the government and claim that Netflix and other US owned streaming services are damaging Canadian culture (aka their bottom line.) Then the government will pass laws forcing the CRTC to regulating OTT services and limit non-Canadian owned services. Then Rogers and Shaw will start bumping up prices. It happened with TV, cable and satellite and it will happen again. Eventually, internet streaming will be controlled by Rogers, Shaw, Bell, Telus and Cogego, just like the rest of the broadcasting and telecommunications industries in Canada.

#45 ·
I'm pretty sure your prediction is wrong, ExDilbert. Satellite services from the US never had the penetration that streaming video currently has. Lots of people watch YouTube and Netflix. Any move against these services would be so politically unpopular that I doubt any government would want to touch it.

I just don't think many voters are sympathetic to the "I need my 30% Canadian content" argument.

Even if one party were to sign on to that point of view (doubtful, IMHO), other political parties would use the issue to their advantage.

Finally, with a Conservative government in power that has been rather unfriendly to the established BDUs on the subject of wireless communication, I see this sort of thing being a non-starter. The BDUs would need to wait for a party with a more protectionist mindset to get into power, and that could be a bit of a wait.

Remember, there is a large cohort of young people who rely solely on streaming video services, and they're increasingly of voting age.

Services like shomi are the only shot traditional BDUs have at doing business that cohort from a TV perspective.

#46 ·
There is no regulation that says an OTT service that is Canadian owned has to offer 30% Canadian content. They are doing this on their own merit. This service is completely unregulated as is Netflix in Canada. The winner will be the service that has the most content, and has first run programming on top

#47 ·
I think Shomi on Rogers and Shaw STBs will simply be part of the current On-Demand offerings. I think the quote that indicates that Shomi on STBs won't be as fancy and the fact that it won't count towards the bandwidth cap indicates it will just be part of the On-Demand library. If they delivered it via IP without counting against the bandwidth cap, I'm sure it would likely violate net neutrality rules.

#48 ·
I don't see this as being all that different than what Shaw already has through Video on Demand in their cable boxes. It offers lots of shows, and a smattering of movies that change often. The main difference seems to be that it is internet based. Basically they have found a way to charge existing customers another $9.00 a month to pay for content they already receive. How savvy of them. :rolleyes: And typical.

#49 ·
Hard to say it'll be the same as it hasn't been released yet and they have only released a small portion of the shows they will have.

I'll reserve judgement until it is actually released. Hard to be critical of something when none of us actually know very much about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#50 ·
Exactly.. we will really have to see the content.

Yes, OD, has a lot of stuff.
And this may overlap, etc.. (I can almost see it replacing OD).
But the difference I could see...

On OD.. there are lots of older movies for FREE.. but there are older ones on there, which are STILL chargeable (like 2.99, 3.99, etc).
If this service has all of those individually charable movies there as well, the 8.99 could potentially be cheaper, based on how much is watched.

#51 ·
The only way they will have a chance against Netflix is if they have more and better content, although this service sounds more like a HULU competitor. The interface does look quite compelling. We'll see. I heard Rogers has spent 100 Million for content already. I don't know what that buys, we'll see. SHAW also has a lot of content so combined the 2 companies could make a go of it. I think Bell should have joined in with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.