Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

WWE Network

48K views 138 replies 39 participants last post by  jfoley85 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The new WWE Network will be coming to Rogers. WWE & Rogers signed a 10 year agreement to carry the online network as a pay tv channel. Rogers will distribute the channel to other providers across Canada. No idea what this means for WWE Network in Canada via video game systems or the WWE website as nothing like that was announced. Also no idea what this means for the VOD content WWE Network offers to subscribers.

http://www.wrestlingnewsworld.com/full-details-wwes-10-year-deal-wrogers-communications-canada/#.U9r4imPSbcs

#3 ·
Is a major slap to the face of Canadian fans. I already subscribe to Wwe network but if we don't get the same setup as the US by accessing on all platforms without being cable customer I'm canceling the WWE network because, I don't want any more of my money to go any cable company especially Rogers and don't want to spend money on WWE who treats it's Canadian customers like second class citizens compared to its US customers

#4 ·
I wonder if they plan to offer it to other providers? What will the price be?

Looking at the information given, it looks like Sportsnet 360 is gaining Main Event, but possibly losing NXT. That's a lousy trade, NXT is routinely the best hour of wrestling WWE produces.

Pretty unexpected outcome.

#16 ·
That depends on what it is. If it's just the live feed and none of the on demand, its junk compared to just subscribing directly. If it includes all the OD stuff and a channel on the cable box, it might work out pretty well. I really don't know what they're planning right now.

#19 ·
$11.99 in Canada. It's going to be both the regular channel plus "a selection" of the On Demand stuff, whatever they mean by that. It'll be like how TMN and HBO Canada are right now: we have a regular channel, and then we have the On Demand section for those channels too.

#21 ·
I'm guessing this direction for the WWE Network in Canada is based on a combo of two reasons:
- WWE's broadcast partner in Canada already being a strong telecom (something they didn't have when they initially wanted to have the Network as a specialty channel in the US as opposed to a online streaming/OD service)
- A limited potential audience in Canada (compared to the US) and if all the costs related to operation and infrastructure (among others) for a streaming service can be made up from subscriptions.

On the first, the telecom set-up here compared to the US is self-explanatory, but going with an a-la-carte channel was the original plan in the US. No one bit on it, despite the first two attempts (first layout was as a sports-style network, second had more of an HBO theme to it). No one went for it and I tend to think that if the WWE had a similar set-up in the US with a major company like that, they may have been more successful. Network was supposed to launch in 2012. It finally did this past February.

Regarding the second...they just announced 700,000 subscribers for the end of June (and supposedly lost 10,000 in July). RAW gets about 4 million viewers. So they're below a quarter of their viewing audience, which indicates how at least 75% of that viewing audience are basically insignificant freeloaders who watch just because it's on. What this means in Canada? When RAW was still on TSN, they were getting about 400,000 viewers. When it got moved to the Score/360, it fell to the range of 250,000-275,000 or so. Taking the same rough percentages, and your potential number of Canadian subscribers could fill Rogers Centre, but might not go much higher. In fact, I'd wager most of these diehards already have the Network. ;) Would the costs of running the Network be met by the subscribers? WWE went the easy way out, they left all that to Rogers. Apparently, Canada will still get the equivalent of what the US gets (eventually), but it's all on Rogers now. WWE likely already got their money.

#22 ·
The Cost?

If Rogers charges to much subs will simply go to the US version even with the exchange rate if its lower.

As for content same thing, subs will go to the US version if they don't get the exact same thing.

As for providers? I know Rogers had WWE On Demand prior to the WWE Network? Not sure who else had WWE ON Demand beside Rogers. I don't think Bell will pick up the WWE Network from Rogers, because in all the years WWE ON Demand was available Bell never picked it up for Bell Fibe customers.

The only advantage Canada will have over the US version(assuming its the same version & price)is that with the Canadian version anyone with a TV and has a subscription to it via their provider won't have to worry about using up their GB/month on their computer from their internet provider.Also it'll be easier for those that are not computer savvy.

#23 ·
I'm up in the air over ordering the WWE Network right now. I like the older content mostly, from the 80's and 90's. Will there be lots of vintage WWE
VOD available each month? Just a couple of old PPV events? I really don't
know, and going to wwe.com's website, they really don't specify as to what classic programming is available on demand.

#24 ·
Currently WWE Network in the US offers EVERY WWE, WCW, and ECW pay per view ever made. Also has every Clash of the Champions and Saturday Nights Main Event and some older Raw episodes from the attitude era, so far. They also have lots of classic WWF footage from MSG and other vintage stuff like WCCW and I believe AWA and more always being added. They also offer up a bunch of new original content which is pretty good, like Legends House, Countdown, and the Monday Night War.

Since Shaw doesn't offer it as of it, and will likely charge more, i'll stick to the real version of the network!

#25 ·
Thanks for letting me know what they're getting in the U.S, Mismag!:)

I ordered the WWE Network on Rogers today. Will give it a month or so before I determine whether to cancel it or not.

WWEOD has just a selection of old PPV's under an events subsection.
A good eight or so Summerslams from the past are what's being shown
right now. The ones from '92,'98,2005,'08 are some of the ones included.

There are also some other older PPV's under the WCW and ECW subsections.
Approximately three or four old events listed in each one. Bash at the beach
'96, 98. Can't recall the what the titles were in the ECW subsection.

#27 ·
Maybe Rogers will add more VOD content as the months go by? It would really seem unfair to have customers pay more for less.

The good thing is I can cancel it at any time. If if WWEOD library on Rogers doesn't increase by a significant amount within the next month or two, I'll cancel it.

A handful of old PPV's OD won't justify paying $2 more for what someone else in the US is getting for less dough.

Also noticed on WWEOD in the WCW subsection: Great American bash from '89, Road Wild '98.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.