Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

CRTC Approves More Channels

98K views 234 replies 53 participants last post by  MCIBUS 
#1 ·
Here's a list of New channels recently approved by the CRTC.

Ethnic

ECG-Hindi Woman's TV2 http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2014/2014-219.htm

Soundview Entertainment-4E TV http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2014/2014-227.htm

soundview Entertainment-RIK SAT http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2014/2014-228.htm

ATN-UTV Movies http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2014/2014-239.htm

English

Cycle TV- http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2014/2014-270.htm

The ethnic ones are I guess ok for those of those ethnic background

I know I'll be getting two of them if Bell Fibe adds them.

As for Cycle TV not a cyclist so not sure how big the industry is in biking or if many would sub to this channel?

See less See more
#57 ·
It doesn't take much to start a new television channel these days. One or Two programs not shown on other channels and the rest can be reruns of other programs shown on other channel shown over and over again. Then the television satellite and cable providers with put the channel in a bundle with other channels and puff you are paying for it.

#58 ·
Starting a channel is easy. Getting carriage and making money are not. If you don't have Bell, Rogers ans Shaw (or Cogeco for French) in your pocket, you have zero chance. Be assured that they will make it very difficult to succeed. The best outcome is probably that you will get a decent viewership, make a little money and one of them buys you out.

#60 ·
@tux, yes but they are different type of reality tv, the only ones that I have problem with are crime tv (like on A&E, C&I,...) and the ones that follow someone personal life and problems (like on TLC).

I like reality tv that are informative, like documentaries (depend on the subject), and i love renovation and decoration shows, I watch HGTV and DIY alot (pretty much the only 2 channel still worth watching these days).

#63 ·
Licience renewals

Although not new channels justrenewals this caught my attention

See Sun News

http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2015/2015-44.htm

Speciality Category C services Licensee
Name of service
TVA Group Inc. Le Canal Nouvelles

Sun Media Corporation and TVA Group Inc., partners in a general partnership carrying on business as Sun News General Partnership Sun News

#66 ·
What is the point of approving more channels when the one already approved years ago are not even available .

I was wondering how much time do we have to wait to get new channels from carriers.
I'm a SHAW subscriber and I did contact them regarding the launch of the horror channel Terror TV and it seems they were not aware of the channel.
I contacted the terror tv channel and they responded that they are waiting for carriage deals.
I just don't get it... even if the CRTC give licenses to new interesting channels.... if the carriers don't want to offer them.... we (the customers) are doomed !!
I don't know with you guys, but I think it's time that we get an horror channel in Canada after Scream and the failed Dusk. I just don't get it. The carriers are trying to keep their subscriber base butthey are not going in direction of the diversity of offers. I simply don't get it... If they don't want to be in the position of the music industry a few years ago, they should act fast and make a cleaning on their channel offering and cut the crappy channels... How many lifestyle channels canadian could endure....
Wake up Canadian carriers before it's too late and DIVERSITY is the key to success !!

#69 ·
Actually the ethnic services are more or less geared toward one specific ethnic group. The langue of the channel. Most English speaking or french speaking individuals won't sub to ethnic services, unless they speak that langue and are either from an older generation or recent immigrants to this country.

Also it all depends on how one see channels, personally I think all biz and sports channel are cluster, so ones person view isn't the same as some one else, all channels have their followers.

#70 ·
There are IPTV boxes available for the Chinese, Russian, Indian and other communities who are bypassing Rogers with unlicensed services direct from those countries with hundreds of un-approved channels for $20/month. Plus i've seen some websites with tons of free channels from Britain, France, Italy and Greece.

#74 ·
IPTV is going to give the CRTC a headache in the next couple years - I know a lot of people who want foreign language services buying IPTV boxes. I have noticed ads in local papers and Kijiji offering essentially every American and UK network on their boxes for $40 a year.

This is going to be like U.S. satellites and piracy was in the 90's - however, I do not know how Canadian services are going to compete. You can get more Arabic channels on IPTV then CRTC approved English services in Canada....

#75 ·
It's going to be a headache for the incumbents and English speaking Canadians. As revenues from ethnic channels drop, BDUs will raise rates for remaining subscribers, mostly English speaking Canadians of European descent. But what else is new? I don't think the CRTC really cares much about foreign language channels. This is reflected in their much more lenient licensing and approval guidelines. The CRTC is now pretty much relegated to being a steward of the declining traditional broadcasting industry in Canada. Broadcasters pretty much set the stage with bad management and arrogant demands from the CRTC and Canadians in general. All that is left is to watch their broadcasting services decline while OTT services take over. Can't wait for the wake.

#76 ·
Well I can't comment on the ethnic or English/French IPTV/Internet services as I'm not the knowledgeable in this area, but as for regular way cable/Fibe/sat I see even more ethnic services on the horizon.

Now grant you I'm not sure of the sub rates to these ethnic services, but I can tell there not cheap, to get all 13 channels of my mothers/fathers ethnic langue it'll cost me an extra $50 or so plus tax on top of my other packages. I don't know the prices of all ethnic services or providers, but I know with Bell Fibe & Rogers if you see their line up and packages it can get quite expensive if you want all the channels of your specific ethnic langue group.

As for Pick & Pay, I'm not sure if the recent CRTC decision on Pick & Pay applies to ethnic services or not? :confused:

#77 ·
Ethnic services have always been offered on basically an a la carte or pick and pay basis. I hear you about the price. Just why would someone pay $10-$20/mo for a channel that is available FTA or directly from the station web site? The most significant change with the recent ruling will be their availability with skinny basic.

#78 ·
Except certain ethnic services(some of the first to be licensed)that they are link to other ethnic services as an example, in my case to get

Star International
Skai
Alpha
4E
Greek Cinema
Sports Plus
Mega
Mad World
CHTO
CHIR

I have to sub to OTN before I can sub to others according to CRTC linkage rules. Now whether this New Pick & Pay will change that I don't know.

As for the FTA true you can get certain ethnic services, but many who sub to ethnic services are from an older generation and usually don't sub to IPTV or FTA services and most either have cable or Fibe or sat(Bell,SD,Dish,Direct), its more of the recent immigrants of that ethnic group that will either sub via FTA/IPTV/Internet services.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.