Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Zazeen/Acanac - IPTV Provider Discussions

Tags
acanac zazeen
59K views 61 replies 29 participants last post by  nerakmacd 
#1 ·
Yeah Yeah I know we don't talk about Acanac here cause of previous SPAM bad reviews but they just got CRTC approval to provide IPTV so I think we need to rethink this one.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

2012-539 Zazeen Inc.
Gatineau, Montréal, Québec and Sherbrooke, and their surrounding areas, Quebec
APPROVED - Application for a regional broadcasting licence to operate terrestrial broadcasting distribution undertakings to serve the above-noted locations and their surrounding areas

2012-540 Zazeen Inc.
Toronto, Hamilton/Niagara, Oshawa, Kitchener, Ottawa, London and Windsor, and their surrounding areas, Ontario
APPROVED - Application for a regional broadcasting licence to operate terrestrial broadcasting distribution undertakings to serve the above-noted communities in Ontario

#2 ·
As I told TVJunkie, I only banned Acanac after representatives from the company in a phone call told me go "**** myself" and to shove the digitalhome website "up my ass"

Not a company I would ever recommend to anyone and suggest our members stay clear of them.

#4 ·
That's why traffic shaping and surcharges are evil. It limits or prevents competition in areas such as video and TV distribution. It can even impact relatively light data usage such as IP telephone or music services.

I wish Zazeen Inc. luck in overcoming the hurdles in launching their service.

I also wonder who the "representatives" than spammed the website and verbally abused Hugh were. If they were relatively low level people, they should have been dealt with by Acanac. If they were high level management that are still employed, or owners, then I agree 100% with the ban.

#5 ·
I signed up last month when I heard they were close to getting approval (Hence the reason Hugh and I were chatting in the background about them). The current contracts they offer are unlimited internet service (They resell various telecomunications internet services by buying bandwidth in bulk and asking consumers to pre pay). At this stage I believe you need to sign up for internet with them to use their IPTV. So they now have a tripple play. Internet , IP Phone and IPTV. They are currently a low Cost Low Service organization and unless you are technical and can fault find to the demarc point and then prove any problem your having is with the telecommunications provider that Acanac is purchasing the internet from without any assistance then they can be challenging to deal with at the moment.

The fact a representative from the company told Hugh where to go is sad and unprofessional behaviour. I hope the company has grown up since then. Access to the rights to sell IPTV is A REALLY BIG achievement so I am sure they will need to move from a low cost provider to a service provider. This is a hard shift for a company to make.

#6 ·
They are currently a low Cost Low Service organization and unless you are technical and can fault find to the demarc point...
Most people subbed to third party providers are in the same situation. They are dependent on the incumbents, who own the infrastructure, to troubleshoot problems and the incumbents do not do independent ISPs (or their customers) any favours.

I agree that a third party IPTV service is a major step toward increased competition in Canada. I'm not sure of the technical details but it is long overdue. I wouldn't be surprised if other third party ISPs follow but at least one of those is experiencing major issues just expanding into cable internet. Adding IPTV would add more challenges to an already overtaxed organization.

#7 ·
How exactly would this work? Are they just going to resell Bell's IPTV service or are they starting their own service? I'd be interested in what programming they'll be able to get their hands on as Bell, Rogers and Shaw own the most popular media assets in the country.

#8 ·
Just by the fact that they are legally licensed will allow them equal and fair access to the same programming any other BDU is offering, of course through negotiations. The only difference is that the programming will be streamed. Their are already numerous IPTV providers around the world offering programming. They could use numerous devices to offer the service if they choose, but i'm guessing they'll use their own set-top boxes with Wi-Fi or hard wired Ethernet. Reselling Bell or Telus Optik is another possibility.

#10 ·
The solution day 1 is an IPTV set top box you purchase for <$100 . the exact pricing they say for set top box and IPTV service will be released next week but i suspect about $20 a month. The set top box will work on their network i assume via a vpn tunnel to ensure only subscribers have access. They are also working on a IOS and android application. Here is a video taken over a 6Mbps DSL line where they were doing tests and the picture quality and performance appears to be very good.

http://www.acanac.com/newIPTV-V.mp4

#12 ·
Interesting, they're using Minerva which Telus used to use in their early IPTV days and seems to work well.

Also, just read through all the IPTV threads in the Acanac forums and the staff moderator has indicated that their channel lineup will be comparable to what Rogers and Bell will offer. Also their forums has various screenshots and videos of their IPTV platform and even though it is in BETA it looks way better than what Rogers and many other cable companies are offering. If they can get their internet service to be reliable at all times to run this service, this could be a serious competitive threat to major MSOs.

I'm not familiar with the powers of the CRTC, but can Rogers/Bell lobby them to implement usage based billing again even though they already failed once, or even get regulatory approval to stop offering TPIA in an effort to kill the service?

#14 ·
I think rogers or bell will just buy them out quickly if they become to big of a threat. I can't imagine that would try to price under them as there triple Play will be about $60 for unlimited Internet voice and TV

I would be interested in how they go to market. Maybe a partnership with a cell phone company like wind and do a white label so they have the retail storefront and share revenue stream. Imagine getting all 4 unlimited Internet, home phone, TV and mobile for under $100 less than half of what most of us pay Rogers or bell.

#16 ·
The CRTC would not allow Rogers or Bell to buy them. They will use other tactics, like undercutting them on price with customers who try to switch, hampering their ability to service customers (like Rogers does with ISPs) or running to the CRTC for policies and price increases that will make them less competitive. (Rogers and Bell has already done that with ISPs and tried, unsuccessfully, with Netflix.)

#17 ·
Acanac iPTV Service coming soon.

Well they got CRTC approval. They are now a BDU......

Interesting to see how they progress over the coming months.

Just curious to know what current Acanac customers think of the Beta Testing that has been happening, if any are members here it would be interesting to know.

It is launching under the Zazeen brand name.

#19 ·
I've been with acanac for more than 3 years (at least... Can't remember exactly). I am very satisfied with them. Never understood why chat about them was banned here. I tought that the site was paid for by Bell or the other big ones. Now I understand the situation better :)
I can't comment about phone since no phone number available in my area :-( . At least last time I checked.
Here acanac buys from distributel I think. Price seems to be the same as distributel except with acanac I need to pay 1 year in advance (only downside). Anyway, I'm glad I got Bell and their Cap limit out. Acanac is unlimited and very good.

#20 ·
I've been with acanac for more than 3 years (at least... Can't remember exactly). I am very satisfied with them. Never understood why chat about them was banned here.
maybe u missed the part where Hugh mentioned that representatives from that company told him to f*** himself and to shove the digitalhome website up his a**?

I dunno about you but to me employees who act like that do not show any level of professionalism and i would refrain from dealing with a company whos employees express that attitude.

#21 ·
I would like to think that those representatives have now moved on and so should this Forum.

Talking about them now is allowed, so it seems, so lets turn the page and report on how they are dealing with today's issues and concerns.

I am still hoping to hear from DHC members who are doing the beta testing? Anyone out there.?

#25 ·
Quick update looks like the beta for IPTV will start on sunday no word on pricing yet but they are looking for 1000 beta testers. You will have to pay for set top box and a subscription fee, you will be guaranteed crappy service and an SLA of about 00.0% up time but if you into bleeding edge head over on sunday and check out the IPTV service. Will be sold via zazeen.ca.

Turns out Acanac is actually owned by distributel but they don't like people to know as they provide crap service but half the price. The founder Paul who started Acanac and sold it to distributel also started zazeen that will now become the IPTV provider for Distributel and Acanac . Thats right it will only work on their network so you need to be either a distribute or Acanac (AKA Distrbutel at half price but with crap service) customer.

#26 ·
Nice new large Dish's installed yesterday at their Headend. I watched with interest, as I am involved with Bell TV. Looked to be aimed at Bell's Nimiq birds, from my vantage point anyway.

#27 ·
Well they did launch in the end. Company Zazeen.com is selling IPTV with a bunch of Channels for 39.95 per month. The basic package from Rogers, bell etc is cheaper but granted you get some extra channels (but none I watch animal planet, food network, discover,comedy,slice, bravo etc)

During beta you get a $10 credit per month usable against future IPTV and this will be for about 3 to 6 month based on previous dates slipping. Expected shipping date of IPTV box is 20 Jan but will probably also slip as they are waiting on bug fixes and a new remote. IPTV box is $75 + tax + 9.95 shipping but it is pretty crappy as well only 512mb Ram looks like an arm chip and a USB wifi dongle that is pretty much useless but there were bugs in the wifi USB driver so they can't swap with another one yet (rumoured to come soon)

The Wifi USB is 2.0 and is only one USB controller on board so has to share if you add an external hard drive so the chances of there being sufficient bandwidth for recording and streaming multiple channels is pretty low.

There are other IPTV boxes available For entone 100 and amino 150 dollars ( I would suggest if you do sign up get these and not the wnc ) but the fact you pay more than Rogers or Bell you can't bundle and it consumes bandwidth on your pipe (although acanac is unlimited but slow) you will never get the same frame rate and mpeg 4 and down scaling when bandwidth not available will be a performance / quality issue.

Bottom line if this was the original $20 woohoo but for $40 people won't pay this when they can get better quality /performance for a lower price.

#28 ·
The channel list is more notable for what is missing than what is carried. I'd have to agree that it's not good value at $40. If they can expand the offering with a few more Canadian and US specialty US channels (similar to a full analog cable lineup) it would be more appealing.

The though of rebroadcasted Bell TV signals is not that appealing either. At least the picture quality is improving somewhat with MPEG4.

#29 ·
Yeah I think they are waiting on the early adopters to all get on board at this inflated price. Its month by month at the moment but Acanac likes 12 month prepaid contracts so I would say when they come out of Beta they will try to do a 12 month lock prepaid then drop the price and try and lock again for 12 with folks who did not sigh up and then finally bundle with IP Phone / Internet / TV with Acanac and Distributel when they get the kinks out again for 12 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.