Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Horror Channel In Canada?

60K views 136 replies 35 participants last post by  JesuisJake 
#1 ·
I recently heard that dusk(formerly scream) which wasn't really horror anymore will be dropped from bell. I think alot of people would like and dont understand why there wouldn't be a horror channel in Canada.
Is there any talk Canada could get a US horror channel Like Chiller or Fearnet
or mabe an original channel?

#2 ·
Dusk used to be Scream, which (like so many of the Digital Channels) was pretty good for the first five-six months. Then it started to recycle the same old shite endlessly (like so many of the Digital Channels). I don't think I've flipped even close to that channel in a long time. I won't miss it.

#3 ·
The closest thing we have to a horror channel in Canada right now is The Cult Movie Network. It rebranded recently to focus more on a wider variety of low budget cult films, but relies very heavily on horror films (before it rebranded earlier this month, pretty much all their films were low budget horror films), although from my understanding, the films are pretty low budget B-movie stuff, as of yet, no Hollywood blockbuster horror films.

However, the channel is only carried by MTS TV in Manitoba.

#7 ·
I just checked the website of Corus Entertainment and there is no press release or any mention of Corus shutting down the channel.

You also have to remember DUSK is also a SHAW Media Channel, I doubt it going to be shutdown.

I think ABC Spark will go on a previous license that they previously was granted for them to launch on March 26

#10 ·
There is no official press release or news that this will occur of shutting down DUSK. If they would have planned to do that Rogers would had the info updates like they did with HDNET and others giving customers info of pending dropping of channel from their lineup.

I'm writing to Corus Entertainment Media Department, to see if there is any truth to this information as soon as I have VALID and confirmed news I will post with source.

#11 ·
I, too, am saddened that there is no true Horror channel in Canada, and miss the old days when Scream was on the air. This is also new news to me that Dusk is being replaced by ABC Spark.

I didn't even know a channel like The Cult Movie Network even existed until now, and now it's time to do a Google search on it, and find out if it is worth asking my cable company to carry.

#12 ·
Why would Dusk be replaced by ABC Spark in the first place? (On Cogeco at least, ) Dusk is grouped with the other movie channels (Showcase Action, etc.) and is part of a More Movies theme pack. Putting ABC Spark right slab in the middle of that group of channels and theme pack doesn't make any sense.

If anything, ABC Spark would be a new channel number, and grouped with similar family/kid themed digital channels like Nickelodeon, Teletoon Retro, Disney XD, etc.

#14 ·
What a great suggestion, gretzky! On a couple of my visits to the USA, one of my favourite channels was Fearnet, which was offered as an on demand service with Comcast, and it was awesome! (a ton of horror movies, all for free, commercial free, in HD on that service)

I don't think it will ever happen, though.

#16 ·
SMCKINNON24,

I already clarified on this board and another forum that it has not officially been announced by Corus yet. I received the information from a contact at Shaw/Shaw Broadcast.

With that being said, several television providers have already indicated that DUSK is going to be terminated when ABC Spark launches. There will be more clarity on this issue on the coming weeks.

#17 ·
MCIBUS, yes, the CRTC has approved other horror-themed channels that have yet to expire, which means, for those of you that would want the American Fearnet, it is very unlikely it would be approved for broadcast in Canada if someone were to apply to get it here, unless a Canadianized version launched.

Rogers was approved for a channel called "Puzzle" last February, and a decision on Glassbox's "Glassbox Horror" channel will come tomorrow, which the CRTC will 100% approve, there's no reason for them not to. Hopefully, for those who want another horror channel, Glassbox will launch one.

#22 ·
The CRTC did approve the Glassbox Horror channel, good news.

However, they do have up to 48 months to get it on the air, so the wait could be a long one. Hopefully, the wait will actually be far less than that. As an example, the wait to see Hollywood Suite show up on the air after being approved was around 16 months.

#23 ·
It should be made clear that just because Glassbox Horror was approved today that it doesn't mean it will actually launch though. But now that it's approved, it does mean there is at least a possibility at some point Canada might get another horror channel.

Also, Dusk confirmed today via Twitter and Facebook that it will shut down on the 23rd of March.

#24 ·
I figured it would be announced officially by Corus within the next week.

Also SM24, FYI, both Shaw Media and Corus are owned by Shaw. Shaw Media is a subsidiary of Shaw and Shaw owns the majority voting interest in Corus Entertainment. Corus was also the controlling partner in DUSK and made all business decisions with its operations, including shutting it down.

#26 ·
To Our Loyal Viewers,

After a review of our business we have decided to discontinue DUSK. DUSK will no longer be available as of March 23 at 5:59:59am ET.

In the meantime, DUSK continues to be available with the same great programming you regularly enjoy. Stay tuned to the network for upcoming programming events. Our website is also a great resource for programming information as the shutdown date approaches. www.dusktv.ca

Please contact your service provider directly for any questions regarding television packages.

Thank you for your viewership and support.

Sincerely,
DUSK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.