Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

CRTC Policy: maximize choice for TV viewers (pick and pay)

68K views 327 replies 79 participants last post by  Blintok 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT: See post 21 for the CRTC news release.

Please use this thread to discuss the announcement and try to keep your conversation related to the actual policy.

Off-topic posts will be deleted.

Media Advisory - CRTC Media Lock-Up - Let's Talk TV: A World of Choice - A roadmap to maximize choice for TV viewers and to foster a healthy, dynamic TV market

The CRTC will post the Let's Talk TV decision on measures to maximize choice for Canadian television viewers on the CRTC website www.crtc.gc.ca at 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 19, 2015.

The Chairman of the CRTC will deliver a statement and answer questions shortly after 4:15 p.m.

Other useful threads:

CRTC Policy on Canadian content (released March 12) : http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=233402

CRTC: Let's Talk TV: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=185681&page=40

The Official I Hate The CRTC Thread

See less See more
#131 ·
Currently any of the channels that are available in both SD and HD are offered in SD and HD on the Rogers' basic or Digital Lite packages:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=2331785&highlight=digital+lite#post2331785 See the several posts that follow the first post in the link.

It's very likely that you'd have to purchase or rent an HD STB though. An SD STB (or DTA) may be included, but a lot depends on the package you have, how well you negotiate, whether you're a new or existing customer, etc.

Rogers Pricing Discussions: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=227346

#134 ·
Looks like Bell has started throwing tantrums: http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2015/03/...-ctv-news-coverage-following-talktv-decision/

The Globe and Mail’s James Bradshaw reports that Bell Media President Kevin Crull banned CTV media properties from including CRTC Chair Jean Pierre Blais in coverage of the recent TalkTV decisions. The report indicates that Crull ordered the head of CTV News to stop including Blais in coverage following an interview on BNN, which led to the cancellation of an interview with Don Martin and dropping him from local news stories (he was included in the national newscast as Robert Fife defied the order).
Screwing around with the news - classy move. Very ethical.

#135 ·
Statement by Jean-Pierre Blais, Chairman and CEO of the CRTC, on journalistic independence
One of the pillars of Canada’s broadcasting system—and, in fact, of our country’s democracy—is that journalists are able to report news stories independently and without undue editorial interference. This principle, along with other fundamental journalistic values, is enshrined in the Code of Ethics that was developed by RTNDA Canada (The Association of Electronic Journalists).

Further to section 2(3) of the Broadcasting Act, the CRTC has been entrusted by Canadians, through Parliament, to defend the principles of fair comment, freedom of expression and journalistic independence.

That a regulated company does not like one of the CRTC’s rulings is one thing. The allegation, however, that the largest communication company in Canada is manipulating news coverage is disturbing. Holding a radio or television licence is a privilege that comes with important obligations that are in the public interest, especially in regards to high-quality news coverage and reporting.

An informed citizenry cannot be sacrificed for a company’s commercial interests. Canadians can only wonder how many times corporate interests may have been placed ahead of the fair and balanced news reporting they expect from their broadcasting system.

The RTNDA Code of Ethics is administered by the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council. Canada’s private broadcasters, including CTV, are members of this independent body and must adhere to its codes of conduct. Complaints about this matter should be directed to the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council for investigation.

We expect Canada’s broadcasters to live up to their responsibilities and adhere to a high standard in their news and information programs.
I hope the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council puts Kevin Crull in his place.

#139 ·
The problem is that CTV and BCE are so big they have become above the law in these types of situations. What is the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council going to do? They are an independent body that is probably largely financed by BCE and highly influenced by Crull. It's a situation of the fox being in charge of the hen house. (Don't get me started on the effectiveness of industry self regulation.) The present government will do little because they are pro business and don't want to lose their political donations. That's nice rhetoric from Blais but I wonder what he will, or can, do that is substantive.

#144 ·
This is the best argument that I have ever seen to keep our public broadcaster strong and independent from the government. The CBC is a check and balance on the broadcasters who are controlled by big business. Whenever Bell or Shaw is in the news, I always trust CBC to give me the complete unbiased report.

#145 ·
Crull demanded that journalists not give any airtime to Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission chairman Jean-Pierre Blais, the Globe reported. CTV News president Wendy Freeman communicated that edict to journalists, telling some that she feared for her job if they did not comply, the Globe reported its sources as saying.

<snip>

"Indeed, their strong and straightforward reaction to my intrusion only heightens my appreciation of their independence, integrity and professionalism."
So Crull is saying that CTV News president Wendy Freeman doesn't have any "independence, integrity and professionalism?" ;)

#148 ·
thenewdc
He doesn't even have to say a word, employees are too afraid they'll be fired
It's even worse at Quebecor. They are so afraid that even a anonymous leak like what happened here would not ever happen.

I know someone that works for a company that deals with Quebecor, it's not easy I tell you. and her bosses tell her to watch what she says about the company and its owner. So I can imagine those that work for him directly at TVA,LCN and Journal de Montreal. Now that PKP is in politics, there is censorship there. But TVA,LCN and Journal de Montreal said they were independant. Yeah right.:rolleyes:

It happens it all these Vertically integrated companies. But now Bell is majorly screwed. They should have just taken those decisions and keep quiet. Except maybe for the SIM SUB of the SuperBowl.

By creating waves and stirring up crap, The CRTC will come down harder the next time a decision. Which is probably not a bad thing. :D

#149 ·
And who out there is thinking this is a new thing? I am certain the media owners (press and electronic) have meddled in the news reporting since the first business began presenting news.

It is not good, not right, and I don't support it, but it is up to us as citizens to use some intelligence when watching what is fed to us.

I believe, when skepticism is exercised, we are probably in a better place now than ever before since, for those who want it, there is access to so many news sources now.

#150 ·
That's just it. There are so many bloggers eking out a living independently from major media corporations and so many ways to leak information confidentially that it's impossible to keep such information private. Unless it's a piece of confidential board room info, someone is going to make scandalous conduct by public figures known. I commend the newscasters at CTV for standing up to Crull publicly. That takes real courage.

#151 ·
I was at a relative's place fixing a computer and heard that "retraction" as they had CTV news on.

Whether it's me or what, but I thought, yeah, it was a retraction but a very muddied one that seemed to ramble.

My observation....

Cameron

#153 ·
That is exactly what I thought, also. Again, I had to flip to CBC to get an un-muddled story. CBC haters may not agree, but CBC is still the only Canadian news broadcaster whose news reporters are not controlled by big business. I am talking about TV here and not newspapers or magazines, they are another story completely.

#160 ·
Once this is all said and done I would be willing to bet that we will be paying more after the dust settles. I can see $10/a-la-carte choice on top of the basic $25. There is no way we will come out a winner here other than no longer having to pay for channels we no longer require. Netflix will be the winner here.

#161 · (Edited)
Yeah, and from what I hear the is that the sports channels may be the most expensive of the bunch. I once ready somewhere (Motley Fool) that the true cost of a single sports channel is something like $35 (USD) a month! Pick 2 or 3 sports channels and a few other special channels, and the obligatory Canadian mark up and ...

But on the positive side, at least non-sports people will no longer be subsidizing. You pay for what you watch. Now if only they could go further to pick-and-pay for TV shows. I can see no technical reason why I shouldn't be able to punch in my credit card number and watch a live streamed Jet's game for $3.00.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.