Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DCT2224 Closed Caption how to?

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
Trying to help an uncle (almost 90 year old) here. They have an HD terminal, but the bedroom unit is an old Motorola DCT2224 (DCT2000 series), a common model many years ago. He asked how to get Closed Caption so I tried the "Power Off, then press Menu" method and nothing came up. I tried moving from RF output to composite output, and same.

I tried to look up info on Shaw, same info "Power off, press Menu". I phoned Shaw, but they couldn't help, stating that they do not have a DCT2224 model, plus their system is down. Wanted me to call back in hours (but I can't as I don't live there), so it didn't work. She said the remote control must have a CC button but I told here there isn't. She insisted there is. I am sure I didn't miss anything.

I googled around and couldn't find anything specific to the DCT2224 / DCT2000 series on Closed Caption. I tried all CC1 to CC4, and also other CC settings on the TV (it's a new LCD TV by Philips), and nothing showed up. Tested channel was Channel 3, CBC, and CBC News was being showed so it should have CC if it works.

I know the buying a new terminal would definitely get CC, but the owner might not want to do it, as they just bought off the rental HD box for $100. from Shaw lately (after they started charging $20 / month for renting, after 1 year free rental ended).

Any info appreciated. BTW, the "power off, press menu" shows up nothing on the screen at all, no such User Settings menu at all, unlike newer models.

I also tried searching on this forum and other forums, and not much I can find.

See less See more
#4 ·
Some TVs take a little while to invoke CC, so wait for a minute or so when you try CC1 on the TV. You should be able to use the RF-coax or composite for this. You may also need to try a few channels since not all programming is CC'd. Again, wait a minute after changing channels. CC can be finicky.

If that doesn't work, if you still have some analogue channels, try connecting the RF-coax directly to the TV, do a channel scan on "cable" on the TV to see if you can get CC that way. (This would be just as a test obviously.)

#5 ·
Thanks for all the replies!

Yes, the DCT2224 is SD only as it is a rather old model. I do not see a CC button, and it is the very big Motorola remote I was staring at (they also have another universal but I got the owner to get the remote from the other room).

I did not try pressing "Menu" twice. but I did turn it off before pressing Menu. I tried timing the two events from very short to a longer time, nothing showed up on the TV (no menus).

I already tried CC1 plus all other options. I also tried to leave it for at least some seconds but may be I didn't leave it long enough (I use my own experience for such timing, but may be not enough for Shaw).

I did a scan on the Philips TV, no more analog (NTSC) channels anymore can be found, so their area has been converted to fully digital only. The only channels on digital found are the music channels (because Shaw doesn't have clear QAM unlike those in US).

I forgot if I tried the other channel, but CBC, on Ch 3, should have CC, especially during News (Peter Mansbridge was talking).

I will try it again next time I go there, but I don't know when yet. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. I will try them again just in case I miss something (especially timing wise).

#7 ·
fortissimo, I'm not clear on whether you tried this or not, but I talking about using the remote control for the Philips TV, NOT the Motorola remote.

After your turn closed caption on, wait AT LEAST 30 seconds for the closed caption to appear on the screen.

#8 ·
Dr. Dave, you are absolutely correct. Sorry for a very late update here. My uncle told me that he finally got it to work. So the problem is I didn't let the time run long enough for the data to be decoded (slow rate hidden in vertical blanking, I should know better!). I use my own experience that it should decode within 10 seconds and thus didn't want to wait longer than that, instead I cycled through all 8 settings of CC etc.

(unrelated, uncle switched to Telus Optik lately, mainly b/c of a deal, not b/c of this. Of course w/ an HD box, CC is now decoded by the box).

Thanks so much for all your help anyway!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.