Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Router Connections

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  JamesK 
#1 ·
I've been trying to set up an IPv6 tunnel without much success.
To make it work I changed my Airport Extreme base station from NAT to bridge mode. This caused my TV signal go drop every 15 minutes or so. Changing the AE back fixed that but no success with the tunnel in either mode. AE configuration reports double NAT.

current setup is:
1) black modem to phone line
2) ethernet cable to Dlink router (wireless off)
3) Dlink to PVR
4) Dlink to Airport Extreme
5) Dlink by coax to house cable circuit

Reading some other posts suggests using a switch after the Black modem and feeding both the Dlink and AE separately from it. this would avoid the bridge and double NAT problems.

Comments?
Morris

#4 ·
Are all of your devices certified to work with IPv6?
Most devices already work with IPv6, without being "certified". For example operating systems have supported IPv6 for years, as do recent smart phones, tables and more. Switches don't care and the OP said he was using a tunnel, which many routers support. As for why IPv6, that's the way the world is heading because there simply aren't enough IPv4 addresses to go around, for all the computers, smartphones and other devices that connect to the Internet. Hacks such as NAT only delay the inevitable, while introducing other problems.

BTW, I have been running IPv6 on my home network for 2 years. On IPv6, addresses are so plentiful that someone like me can have a subnet that's a trillion times the size of the entire IPv4 address space.

#5 ·
As for why IPv6, that's the way the world is heading because there simply aren't enough IPv4 addresses to go around, for all the computers, smartphones and other devices that connect to the Internet.
Well yes, however most corporations won't be going to IPv6 on their internal LAN's any time soon, as it's a MAJOR architecture change. Apps that are coded for IPv4 would need to be re-coded for IPv6. That turns into major money.
You'll mostly see it in the ISP/Mobile area.

BTW, I have been running IPv6 on my home network for 2 years. On IPv6, addresses are so plentiful that someone like me can have a subnet that's a trillion times the size of the entire IPv4 address space.
Not many home users with more than 255 devices in their homes. You'll be hard pressed to see IPv6 on home LAN's any sooner than corporate LAN's.

...but I digress...now back to the OP's original question...sorry for the OT.

#6 ·
^^^^
For most apps, IPv6 is transparent. They don't care if they're on IPv6 or IPv4, as long as they can reach the server. Also many commercial routers, used in businesses, have supported IPv6 for years. As for ISPs, there's another current thread about Xplorernet, where it's mentioned they provide only NAT addresses. This means their customers simply do not have the option of accessing their home network. While it's possible to work around NAT on a home network, you can't when your ISP does it. There are other ISPs that use NAT on ADSL as do cell phones. Carriers are now working to provide IPv6. Rogers does and I believe the OP's ISP, Telus, does too. Certain models of consumer grade routers now support tunnelling methods, to get IPv6, and that is what the OP is trying to resolve.

As for the huge address space, the idea is that any device, not just computers, can connect directly to the Internet. Also, if you have a subnet, the MAC address forms part of the IPv6 address and for that reason, the minimum subnet an ISP can provide is a /64, which has 2^64 addresses. I get my /56 subnet from gogoNET and other providers, such as he.net, supply /48. There are enough IPv6 addresses that every person on earth could have about 4000 /48 subnets, with 2^80 addresses each, even though only 1/8th of all IPv6 addresses have been allocated for unicast addresses.

#7 ·
Setup

Hi, thank you all for the replies on ipv6.
I guess I sould have asked the question differently.
When I run my AEBS in bridge mode it somehow disrupts the TV signal every 15 minutes or so.
My current setup has the AEBS linked to the Dlink router and as a result I have a doule NAT problem.
I wanted to know if I installed a switch from the incoming dsl box which has only one ethernet connection and fed both the Dlink router and the AEBS from the switch if that would work better?

#8 ·
^^^^
I'm still having trouble understanding your set up.
Is your TV signal carried over the ADSL line?
I assume the black modem carries both Internet & TV?
You then connect the D-Link via Ethernet to the Airport Extreme and PVR
But you then say you connect the D-Link via coax to the house for televisions.
Does the Airport Extreme support IPv6 tunnels? If not, where are you trying to configure it
Who is providing the IPv6 tunnel service?
You say that bridge mode is killing TV, but make no mention if you get the IPv6 tunnel going.
What is the purpose of the D-Link in this situation? What can it provide that the Airport Extreme doesn't?
Which model D-Link? Some D-Link models support IPv6 tunnels.
As for using a switch to connect both the D-Link and AE to the modem, that won't work if you only have a single IPv4 address.
Have you talked to Telus support?

#9 ·
Router

The Dlink takes the signal from the dsl modem and supplies by ethernet or coax connection the Tv signal. It also functions as a router.
The AEBS also is a router. As a secondary device it should be operated in the bridge mode. However, in bridge mode it disrupts the TV signal and I have had to reset it to DHCP and NAT resulting a double NAT error.

IPv6 is somewhat irrelevant. All parts of the system are compliant but Telus is not. In attempting to create a tunnel to he.net I ran across the bridge problem.

I am trying to discover if I can use a switch between the dsl moden (carrying interet and tv signals) and the routers without creating further problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.