Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rob Ford on this hour has 22 minutes (and 911 Profanity)

15K views 69 replies 31 participants last post by  nfitz 
#1 ·
Interesting story yesterday

Toronto mayor had no time for This Hour Has 22 minutes

If you heard Rob Ford tell it, he and his 6 year old daughter were accosted by masked crusaders and his daughter was screaming, ran back in the house and Rob Ford was forced to call 911.

At first I was thinking, okay the show has gone too far.

Reality

Walsh said the mayor’s daughter wasn’t there when she showed up in his driveway in character as the outlandish, loudmouthed Marg Delahunty.

“There was no child at all,” she told the Star. “I mean, was she inside his suit jacket? We never saw any children.”
Seriously, how could anyone fear for their life with Marg Delahunty?

“I’m a 60-year-old woman with a plastic sword,” she said. “I was just going to give him a bit of friendly advice.”

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There has been plenty of feedback on this topic in the papers and on the web. I saw 22 Minutes last night and there was no child present. Ford looked like he didn't know who Marg was, got into his van (licence plate Rob Ford) and apparently forgot how to use his cellphone without driving at the same time. He also didn't remember how to use his middle finger.

When I watched it with my wife I mentioned that he may have thought it was a different Marg - Atwood.

In articles yesterday he said he didn't know who she was and feared for his family - apparently there are a lot of people Rob Ford doesn't recognize - especially if they are from "the arts".

The 22 Minutes interview continued (later) with the other half of the mayor - Doug, however, neither segment was particularly enlightening or funny, unfortunately.

#4 ·
I personally never liked the Marg Delahunty character or skits so this one was no more or less funny for me.

While I think the CBC overstepped their bounds a bit on this one, Ford clearly "embellished" things and I find it virtually impossible to believe that any politician in Canada doesn't know Rick Mercer, This Hour has 22 Minutes and Mary Walsh.

#7 ·
It's one thing if it's at his office. Quite another at his home, which should be off limits for this sort of thing. Even a mayor is entitled to his privacy. Also, since his home is private property, this sort of thing is trespassing.

BTW, I am not a Ford fan.

#12 ·
Also, since his home is private property, this sort of thing is trespassing.
Actually, it's not. Trespass occurs if a person:

(1) Without permission enters when prohibited,
(2) Engages in a prohibited activity on the property
(3) Fails to leave when directed;

So unless there was a sign or 22 Minutes failed to leave when ordered to do so then it's not trespassing. This is only common sense as anyone who walks onto private property not theirs using a pathway could theoretically be charged with trespassing otherwise.

#9 ·
Yes there would have been at least 3 people in the crew. Marg may have a hand mic but the guy holding the boom mic as well as a sound guy and camera man. I didn't see any masks either.

He overreacted, looked like a ______ in the process and is now trying to save a little bit of face.

Also, I certainly hope the guy visits his doctor soon. He does not look healthy at all.

#10 ·
Unfortunately News Crews outside of people's homes has been the reality for the last 30 years.

I didn't like the "at home" nature of this either and don't condone it but Ford calling 911 and saying he was attacked etc is just silly.

#13 ·
Watched the video again - a few things I noticed.

1. The backup lights seem to be on, on the van, unless that's a "feature" when you get into the car and turn on the ignition - along with the front lights?

2. There was a comment in the article earlier that someone thought they heard Marg say "we've got you now". I thought I heard that too last night when I watched 22 Minutes - perhaps that was edited out of this new sequence? I've deleted the programme from my PVR, otherwise I could check. Anyone still have it on their PVR from last night who could check that fact?

#14 ·
Sun News Network (which is staunchly anti-CBC) had a field day with this yesterday.

Personally, I don't see what sort of comedic value this show expected to glean from surprising a mayor in the early morning in his driveway.

#15 ·
"Seriously, how could anyone fear for their life with Marg Delahunty?"

It's a stretch to assume that everyone watchs the show and knows who the characters are.

In the latest ratings
http://bbm.ca/_documents/top_30_tv_programs_english/2011/nat10102011.pdf
the show isn't even in the top 30.

So, even if you give the show the same ratings as the 3oth place show, less than 4% of English Canada watches the show.

It they showed up at the end of my driveway it would have been a lot uglier.

#36 ·
In the latest ratings
http://bbm.ca/_documents/top_30_tv_programs_english/2011/nat10102011.pdf
the show isn't even in the top 30.

So, even if you give the show the same ratings as the 3oth place show, less than 4% of English Canada watches the show.

It they showed up at the end of my driveway it would have been a lot uglier.
I'm not going to bother getting into the political discussion, but...

22 Minutes was a repeat last week (almost every other show was a new episode). That episode pulled in 424, 000 viewers. The last new episode, on October 11, was viewed by 727, 000. Back when Walsh was a regular 10 years ago, it had better ratings than it does now. Suffice to say, a number of Canadians have seen it once even if they don't watch every week.

I've never found Walsh (or any of her characters) funny.

#16 ·
It they showed up at the end of my driveway it would have been a lot uglier
Why? I have had drunks acting a lot more threatening but I did not wish to make an ugly scene. People are solicited for donations and religion without having to resort to violence. And as Neil said you would have some splain' to do if you did.

Even if he did not know the show a bit of common sense should have prevailed.

#17 ·
People knocking on my door soliciting donations don't show up early in the morning dressed as a warrior with a camera crew.

I honestly don't get how anyone thinks that this is acceptable.

I suggest that if it happened to you and your family you would be singing a different tune.

#18 ·
Nah. I guess we watched a different 22 Minutes episode. She announced who she was in the driveway, not knocking at his door. She is significantly smaller than him too. The "warrior" outfit would only be threatening to those with a sensitivity to loud red costumes and extra large framed glasses. My reaction would be to laugh.

I am willing to bet Marg costumes this Halloween will be sold out across the GTA! Especially in his neighborhood. :)

Mr. Ford should expect lots of Trick or Treaters this year.

#20 ·
First off, she's not funny. Not at all.

Second, the whole point of her schtick is to use a funny voice while actually trying to rip into the mayor at 8am. She was actually there to throw out dollar values and whatever.

Third, it's his home, in the morning.

With some of these skits, there's as much to be gained by the politician as the comedy troupe. But let's face it, Ford knew there was nothing here for him. If he knew it was the CBC, he had every right to not be interested in this "political interview".

Oh, and the clip they aired is clearly cut and pasted so the CBC crew looks like it was all fun and games.

#21 ·
Wow, I can't believe people are bringing partisan politics into this silly situation.

#23 ·
Ford called 911 twice: once to asked for police and again to ask how long they would take to get there

Sources say Ford turned on the dispatcher, yelling: "You ... bitches! Don't you f--king know? I'm Rob f--king Ford, the mayor of this city!"
From here

Jake, for the record Rob Ford told reporters that it was dark when he was approached by the costumed people who stopped him from getting into his car.

It was dark, Ford told reporters Monday evening, and two people who didn't identify themselves came running out of a car parked outside his home in Etobicoke and stopped him from getting into his car
from here

#26 ·
Does this guy think about what he's saying before opening his mouth?
As I said earlier,

While I think the CBC overstepped their bounds a bit on this one, Ford clearly "embellished" things
Again, as I tried to say earlier Ford's distortion of the truth along and now with with his "I'm the F'ing mayor" destroys any sympathy you might have for him.

Had Ford acted rationally and not lied, then I think we all would have complained to the CBC and been quite sympathetic, however, Ford's comments and actions suggest he is a liar and a ego maniacal politician who uses his position to intimidate others.

#27 ·
As overblown and offensive as his reaction was, it's not at all suprising. This is a man who does not not handle confrontation well, and it was only a matter of time before something made him go ballistic. I wouldn't be surprised if 22 Minutes did this knowing full well they'd get a reaction like that. I also wouldn't criticize them for a second for doing it.

I never watched the show much before, but I might have to start now. ;)

#28 ·
When I heard Ford's version of events I was actually siding with the guy. I should have suspected there was more (or less) to it than that.

He has a long history of buffoonish behaviour, so I don't think anyone should be surprised by this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.