Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Need Advice on a new Iphone 4S for my son

7K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  kav2001c 
#1 ·
Hi all. I want to get an Iphone 4S for my son (graduation gift) but do not want an expensive data plan (want to keep it at < $30/mo.). All he needs is unlimited text and some talk. I currently have 3 rogers phones in the family and this will be #4, but their deals don't look great.

Is there any provider that offers a resonably priced 4S (I don't want to pay full price) with a decently priced text and voice package? I am not averse to locking in for 3 years if the deal is right. I live in Oakville so need coverage in that area. Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.

Many thx in advance.

#2 ·
I think about the cheapest plan you can get for an iPhone, on contract, is $50/month. They force you to take the data. If you go with Virgin, you can go on their Supertab, where you can get the 4S for $159.99, but you can cancel at anytime. You will just have to repay the balance owing from the phone.

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/plans.html?itcid=NAV:7&dType=deviceType_smartphone

If you don't wan't data, then the best bet would be to buy it unlocked from Apple, or look on Kijiji for a used one. Have you talked with Rogers retention department to see what they can offer you? If you stick with Rogers, then you would get unlimited calling between all of you.

#3 ·
Thx for the quick reply. That's what I was afraid of, but not surprising. It's a tough call for me to spend $50/mo on a data plan for a 14 year old. Also, spending $600 for a no contract phone is not on. I just don't understand how practically every kid i know has an iphone. I guess the parents are just forking out big dollars on a monthly plan. I'll have to try Rogers retention, but was hoping there was something cheaper out there.

#4 ·
Good luck, and let us know how you do with Rogers. See if they will let you get a cheap voice plan with a small data add on. Something like $30 voice and $10 data. hopefully they will go for that. If any of the other phones on your account has data, maybe they will let you share the data between the phone.

Sorry, I guess the plans are a little cheaper at Rogers, than I thought
http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=WLRS_Plans

#7 ·
Just did a deal with Rogers. I switched my wife and other son to a family plan, then added the new son for $25/mo. This got me the phone for $159 and the three of them share 700 minutes of talk, 1 GB data and unlimited texting. This works for me. So my wife's line is $75, and the other two are $25 each. Not perfect, but better average cost than other available alternatives.

#9 ·
Yes, it seems all the kids that have an iPhone are in the "Cool Club". You're gonna be the best dad evah! Nothing greater than seeing that excited look on your kid's face when you get them the latest gadget. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.