Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Remote PVR Access coming Feb 12 2010

79K views 280 replies 102 participants last post by  bigmac10ca 
#1 ·
Mobile Syrup is saying that Bell will introduce the ability to program you HD PVR from your Smartphone on February 12th.

This is consistent with the IP connectivity options that became active in the lastest 9242 and 9241 HD PVR firmware updates.

List of smartphones that will work according to the site include: BlackBerry 8830 World Edition, BlackBerry Curve 8330, BlackBerry Curve 8530, BlackBerry Tour 9630, BlackBerry Bold 9700, Palm Pre, Samsung Omnia 2 and Apple iPhone 3G/3Gs.

A future website link was also provided www.bell.ca/rpvr

For more details check out Dish Remote Access

#2 ·
Mobile Syrup suggests this feature will only be available to Bell Mobile phone subscribers.

My suspicion is that this is incorrect and that any smartphone user with the app should be able to use it provided they have a Bell TV login. Also I suspect that the website may also allow for remote access meaning you will also be able to program it from a computer at work.

Again, its speculation and Bell has not announced this.

#6 ·
jay, I agree hence why I think the rpvr site will allow you to access via the web. I assume they do have to be a bit concerned about authentication. You don't want someone signing onto your PVR and deleting all your recordings!

This is all rumour so before anyone says "no love for ..." lets wait for the announcement.

Does the 9200 have an Ethernet port?

#8 ·
Bell made a lot of big announcements just prior to the start of the Beijing Olympics so Feb 12th makes a lot of sense since Bell is heavily involved in Vancouver

#11 ·
Does the 9200 have an Ethernet port?

Granted, the 9200 does not have an Ethernet port, but there are Ethernet adapters that plug into a USB port. Whether the 9200 would recognize it is a question.

For those that do not meet the basic hardware requirements, all is not lost. There are other options, such as Slingbox and the Slingplayer software for PCs and Slingplayer mobile for phones. I just recently purchased this myself and I'm surprised how well it works.

#12 ·
jay, I'm not talking about security.

I'm talking about what Bell is going to do with the information I send through it's server. What and when I choose to record is my business. I can see this evolving in the future into an advertising portal both on the device used to access your PVR and user specific advertising on your PVR.

#14 ·
Great news for Bell PDA customers, at least when they are at a particularly boring Olympic event. OTOH, word is that few will be there because so many tickets intended for Canadians were diverted to US travel agencies and lodging is unaffordable due to advanced booking by Olympic agencies. I have no doubt that high ranking Bell executives got complimentary tickets though. I hope they have fun with their PDAs and PVRs while the rest of us are dealing with new firmware bugs. :rolleyes:

What I would like to see is PVR integration with online TV listings. That's not so far fetched since Zap2it online TV listings will let you program your TiVo. But those are US companies, not Canadian. The good news is that the 9242 can now be programmed with a Bell PDA while sitting at your computer, but that makes no sense. It does, however, generate lots of extra revenue for Bell. But then, maybe that's the idea. Now, that's yet another argument for forcing Canadian telephone companies, broadcasters and BDUs to be split up into arm's length entities.

On another note, is it just me or do iPhone users seem to be getting all the love these days? :confused:

#15 ·
Scarybob read post #1. According to the blog, Apps are also available for iPhone, many Blackberry devices, android devices, Palm Pre and Samsung Omnia 2. That is a pretty extensive list.

#16 ·
IMHO, if what Bell rolls out is modeled after the Dish Remote Access (refer to Hugh's link in the opening post), it by itself is nothing to get excited about, let alone pay for if that's Bell's motivation. Really, all it's handy for is the ability to access your PVR to schedule a recording. To "View graphics and posters of your favorite shows and movies." Really, I can't wait (read sarcasm). It doesn't include the ability to watch anything. If they roll this out at no charge, then there's nothing to be critical of.
If people are hoping to be able to actually watch programming on their remote device or computer, then they will have to turn to other technology. Dish Networks website includes a link to Slingmedia.com for that reason (I believe Dish owns Slingmedia, so correct me if I'm wrong).
One of Hugh's threads (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=118605) comments on an upcoming device from Sling which looks appealing, if Bell plays along.
Just to note, with the Sling products, you can remotely program your PVR to record by using the PVRs program listing or the Zap2it program listing that's incorporated with the Slingplayer software. And this works on both my 9200 and 5800 PVRs.

#18 ·
I don't think this feature is earth shattering but its what might be called in marketing circles, a "value add". Instant access to your PVR from almost anywhere in the world is pretty cool. Have we become that jaded?

Ultimately we want Slingbox functionality combined with a satellite receiver. In talking to Echostar over the last few years plus what they released at CES 2010, that is the direction they want to go but I sense that's "next generation" and we will need to wait a few years.

#19 ·
The 922 is a nice box (sling & disnet receiver in one) BUT EXTREMELY buggy so far... it has been out (in beta) for close to a year already.

As well the PVR remote programming has been around at Dish for a while. It works on the dual tuner PVR boxes BUT not on the "add on units" such as the ViP211. I anticipate it will not be availabe on the 6141/6131 receivers.

Vis

#20 ·
Have we become that jaded?
I have. I think it's because companies like Bell seem to be locking technology down in order to squeeze more and more money out of customers. Accessing a PVR from a PDA is an amazing technology but it only makes what Bell is not doing a more glaring omission. What is Bell not doing? How about providing complete, accurate guide data so that NBR recording works flawlessly on the PVR? But then Bell cannot charge 10 cents a minute for letting people view the guide data directly on their receiver or PVR. OTOH, Bell can charge for accessing the PVR guide data from a PDA so it gets done. It also impresses all the CEOs as they mingle and make private deals at the Olympic games. Just call me cynical but I think most large companies are getting way out of control. Smartphone PVR access is a piece of marketing and PR fluff that is being rolled out while other issues remain.

#21 ·
That was a rhetorical question. Please lets focus on the topic at hand which is "Remote HD PVR Access from your Smartphone coming Feb 12th"

#22 ·
Hopefully the rumour is true.. that'd be a handy feature for sure. There have been plenty of times where i've been out of town, or at work and wished I was able to schedule the PVR to record something that I had forgotten about or didn't know was on.

Makes sense as a feature now that the box is hooked up to the internet.. hope it happens.

#23 ·
I have this option now on all my units including my SD receivers. I pick up my phjone and call the wife :)

Seriously though, if I had a unit that was capable of remote programming, I wouldn't use it often, but would find it extremely useful for the rare times I would use it, typically if I was travelling for work.

Since the NBR functionality is essentially broken a review of upcoming timers is critical on an almost daily basis. A web interface would (hopefully) make this review easier.

#24 ·
I'm hoping it would also allow us to see the timers that are already set. Many times the PVR records things that I don't want based on a keyword in the VuPass setup. I review all of my timers every couple of days, and skip ones that I don't want. It would be nice to do this remotely.

#25 ·
I would definitely use this feature if it were rolled out as rumored. I could see myself using down time at work to see what is coming on TV and schedule it from there.

What kind of product would I need to set up my 9242 to pick up my Wireless Home Network? (could someone supply a link or product number?)

I have both a Wii and PS3 next to my 9242 which are picking up my Home Network. Does anyone know if I could plug my 9242 into one of these devices via network cable (or other) and kind of "piggy back" off of their Wi-Fi? I am thinking possibly my PS3..and not the Wii...?

Sorry if this was mentioned somewhere on another thread but I was unable to find anything with the search.

Thanks!

#26 ·
Hi. No you cannot piggyback off of these other devices. If you don't have an Ethernet cable you could always purchase a wireless bridge. The bridge would pick up the signal from your router, and relay it through it's Ethernet port(s). From there you would plug in your 9242.

If you get a wireless bridge with a 4-port switch, you could get wireless N speeds if both your router and bridge are wireless N.

The D-Link DAP-1522 is an example.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.